Sons & Daughters

my dad was,
and my grandad drove a horse and dray for a brewery in Manchester.

Katie in the truck

Georgie in the truck
Lenny in the truck
School Prom
Silverstone

my Dad was a driver for all of 2 weeks when he was 18. He was out tramping and when he returned home his old man asked where he had been and when he gave his answer well… My dad said he gave him a slap and said “you’re ■■■■■■■ not driving lorries laddy” :laughing:

Pretty sure I nearly gave the old ■■■■■■ a heart attack when I told him I was doing my licenses too :laughing: . Me and my dad both work for Landrover now anyhow, him 26 years and me 1 year :smiley: .

I always thought my Grandads reaction was very odd considering its what he’s been doing since 13 up till when he retired. He mainly took Jaguar cars around Europe for testing in an old ERF I think

Me blitzing my old man recently on the M1

Used to go with the old man when I was a kid,it’s all I’ve done since I left school, I’ve gone from drivers mate passing my driving test then working my way up to class 1, thinks it’s in the blood :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Mt Dad & My Uncle used to drive these - the first brand new lorries that Saunders bought

Toddy2:
Mt Dad & My Uncle used to drive these - the first brand new lorries that Saunders bought

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

■■■■ no…!
My daddy is a qualified accountant & an engineer.

Nope…my father was a fireman.

My old man was a van driver. Back in the days when that counted. When they used to hand out licences, he said no, as he reckoned he had no use for it.

We never had a car when I was a nipper, dad just came home in the van. Bedford CAs, then CFs, the occasional Commer FC, and a Sherpa Luton he used to go and get from a sister company in Manchester if he had a big load on (rag trade) he was actually primarily the sewing machine mechanic at the factory, but doubled as driver.

He always said he’d teach me how to drive as soon as I could get every pedal to the floor.

Came back and bit him on the arse when he got the very first VW LT in the country (not sure if some were pre registered or something, but his was deffo the first, as all the press at the time used it for their photo shoots. (Even though it was mid way through its high roof conversion at the time)

But true to his word, he brought it home, and I could get all 3 pedals to the deck, despite only being 7.

He talked me through all the basics, clutch bite and all that, which to be honest he’d been going on about for ages, and gave me a 100 yd run up the road. I think in his mind that was it.

So in he went to finish his brew or nick the battery radio out of the house (radios were for the elite back then) so I fired her up, spun her around, and went for a spin. Didn’t seem to be a problem to me, I wasn’t drunk or anything.

Old mans face was a bloody picture when he came out of the house, van wasn’t where it should have been, next thing he knew I emerged out of a side street, negotiated the roundabout in the middle of our road, gave him a toot, before parking up perfectly outside the house.

■■■■ I thought I was God that day!

Needless to say I was demoted to starting and pre-heating duties after that.

Except for camping holidays. Was always my job to fire up the kettle every morning then go to the site shop, 2 packets of bacon, 12 sausages and a pint of milk, swap over the ice packs in the chest freezer. [emoji2]

Happy days

Was school hols with my Uncle Harry on his 7.5 D series, followed by Cargos, that gave me the trucking bug.

I’d actually never sat in a real hgv until I did my class 2 assessment.

followed in my uncles grandads and dads steps but always wanted to do it as a kid im 21 and have every license 1 up on my dad as i have full mannual coach which i took before my class1 and 2 absolutely love the job have taken on a full time tramping job for a small local company in bristol which i start on 1st october but have already done 3 weeks with them just gotta work my notice out on the school minibuses with my current employer

looking forward to getting back in my 2007 daf xf mannual

my old man was an owner driver-I loved going with him in the holidays
I remember a Bedford km artic we had kept boiling up coming home from Norfolk-it was dark and I was trying to shine the torch through the inspection hole under the passenger seat,but kept falling asleep with him shouting at me to keep the torch on the right spot!!
another time we were loading empty Carlsberg beer cans in a warehouse to take to the brewery,someone managed to let the handbrake off when the old man was rolling the sheet out on top of the load…he made it down in record time lol.in my defense I was about four years old when this incident happened :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
happy happy times.our bloody cat was named Bedford lol

Toddy2:

I like them commers!! I see B.R Saunders motors quite often.

andrew.s:

Toddy2:

I like them commers!! I see B.R Saunders motors quite often.

Before Bernard bought the Commers, he had my dad on a Dennis Hefty, and my uncle Joe on a Trader

Nah all my relatives are actual professionals ifa’s, accountants etc yawn.

Dad was a drive, until last year. His dad was also a truck driver. Used to go with me dad tramping when I was off for school holidays. I begged him not to leave Ken Abrams to go to Wincanton as it meant I couldn’t go any more

Same here.

Dad and Uncle are/were HGV drivers.

Uncle retired when he could.

Dad’s well past retirememt age but won’t retire until day doctor tells him he has too!

I did professional career, before driving, not all its cracked up to be in my humble opinion :laughing: :laughing:

C

My old man was on for London firms, Yiddle Davis, Solebay St, Mile end Park row transport, Woolwich Common (I did a bit for them too), Claremont Haulage, Brixton (next door to my school), Hills Haulage, Brixton, CM&S from somewhere around Barnet/Potters Bar area, Lancasters, and who remembers Excelsior Biscuits, he had a bedford with a bow fronted, step frame box trailer… never wished for a biscuit in them days. Lines Bros (Tri Ang Toys and a few more. Used to love going out with him. What a flying start when I was old enough.

Dad was a lorry driver, one grandad a bus driver the other a train driver[emoji6]