Are they clutching at straws

our depot is trialing saving fuel[better mpg] by lightening the truck,there doing this by originally only allowing you to run with 1/2 tank of diesel in truck/tri/ad-blue,[i refused on one run as no way could you do it on 1/2 tank],others who went like that had problems,messing about trying to get fuel,not allowed to carry diesel card.theyve now changed it to dayshift goes out full,dont diesel up when you get back,so hopefully night shift has 1/2 tank to run around with.

1. would this really work,how much fuel would it save,if its this simple why dont scania/volvo etc just fit smaller tanks in the first place :question:
    2 if your trying to save fuel by weight ,why not junk the passenger seat,bunk,storage locker,employ 9st drivers instead of 15 st ones etc.
    3 i know youll look a prat if you run out of diesel[youll not push it to side of road will you],but what the implications if you happen to run out in say dartford tunnel,[i wont go if not enough in tank,but some new kid might just try it]
    as i say it seems to be clutching at straws to me,if it was this simple someone would have done it by now,why not just limit the trucks to 53 mph,everyone else seems to be going this way

It’s a matter of cash flow as well, Ady. If the trucks all run around with full tanks but only use say 1/2 - 2/3 it means every truck is carrying around all the time up to say a couple of hundred quids worth of diesel that’ll never get used. Times that by the size of your fleet and that’s a lotta dosh doing nowt. Enforce a rule like that and your first weeks diesel bill will be significantly lower as you begin to use all that diesel you’ve been giving a free ride to.

It’s also psychological as well, when your gauge is low you tend to be a bit more light footed for fear of running out or having to go pee about filling up. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:
It’s a matter of cash flow as well, Ady. If the trucks all run around with full tanks but only use say 1/2 - 2/3 it means every truck is carrying around all the time up to say a couple of hundred quids worth of diesel that’ll never get used. Times that by the size of your fleet and that’s a lotta dosh doing nowt. Enforce a rule like that and your first weeks diesel bill will be significantly lower as you begin to use all that diesel you’ve been giving a free ride to.

It’s also psychological as well, when your gauge is low you tend to be a bit more light footed for fear of running out or having to go pee about filling up. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Billybigrig has a point here. Running with half a tank, I would say is not gonna make jack ■■■■ difference to fuel eccon. Working on an average tank being 400 litres, half a tank would be say 300ish pounds in weight. I would say the company you work for has a temp cashflow issue!

kayvee:
I would say the company you work for has a temp cashflow issue!

Quite, and one truck running out of fuel in the Dartford or Tyne tunnel could wipe them out :laughing:

billybigrig:

thats what was said to me,cash flow by another driver,it does make more sense,one driver was told to put £50 of his own moneys worth of diesel in to get back then hed get it back out of petty cash,more likely expenses,in two weeks time

kayvee:

billybigrig:

Billybigrig has a point here. Running with half a tank, I would say is not gonna make jack [zb] difference to fuel eccon. Working on an average tank being 400 litres, half a tank would be say 300ish pounds in weight. I would say the company you work for has a temp cashflow issue!

im not so sure company has cash-flow problem as we seem to be only depot doing it,id guess there asking for results from each depot and by doing this itll boost results at end of month

Wheel Nut:

kayvee:
I would say the company you work for has a temp cashflow issue!

Quite, and one truck running out of fuel in the Dartford or Tyne tunnel could wipe them out :laughing:

thats why i wouldnt go without full tank,i really wouldnt want to be trying to explain how id run out of fuel in dartford tunnels,id guess the driver would cop it too,fine ,jail :wink:

ady1:
,one driver was told to put £50 of his own moneys worth of diesel in to get back then hed get it back out of petty cash,more likely expenses,in two weeks time

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: My answer would be 2 words second one being" OFF" this sounds more like Arthur Daley haulage than the illustrious Stobarts :unamused:

Start looking for another job, they sound like they’re in trouble.

Ady!! Your winding us up here! Who said you got to do this? They wouldn’t even think to ask us Trampers to do that! :laughing:
Sounds like you got a “brown nose” as a manager! Clutching at straws is absolutely correct!! :grimacing:

dessy:
Ady!! Your winding us up here! Who said you got to do this? They wouldn’t even think to ask us Trampers to do that! :laughing:
Sounds like you got a “brown nose” as a manager! Clutching at straws is absolutely correct!! :grimacing:

there doing it at our depot dessy,the lad who did the 3 oclock sitting bourne run realized he couldnt get back,so eventually he got instructions to go to your depot at averly,when he got there he found out you dont diesel up there so dropped tri off and went off with diesel card from your lot +instructions to find place you diesel up,young lad,got a bit lost[fretting as running on fumes],it took him a hour a lot of ■■■■■■■ about to get a tank full,as i sy dessy there trialing it at our depot.
it was originally go out with half a tank but its now been changed to day shift leave full,night shift go out hopefully half full and diesel up when they get back.
lad would of called in at your lot tues morning,ask them.
ive not heard it anywhere else[talking to other fridge depot lads] so i assume it ours trying to hit figures/trial thinks/brown nose.
i had sittingbourne,maidstone,etc+collection,i refused to go without full tank ask,only bit he got right was not putting £50 in tank himself,but after all the messing about trying to find your place,diesel up i think he wished he had :wink: :laughing: :laughing: new no chance,young lad bit nieve took there word for it he could do it[

mike68:
Start looking for another job, they sound like they’re in trouble.

you might be right if all these things were happening at all depots,its just seems ours,so id hazard a guess the whips being cracked and those at top want results[more profit],but instead of silly things look at the things that do make a difference,empty running, sending agency drivers out on 15 hr runs then give yiour oewn driver a 5 hr run then sit him in canteen for 3 hrs[£16 p.h a lot different to £11 p.h]

robroy:

ady1:
,one driver was told to put £50 of his own moneys worth of diesel in to get back then hed get it back out of petty cash,more likely expenses,in two weeks time

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: My answer would be 2 words second one being" OFF" this sounds more like Arthur Daley haulage than the illustrious Stobarts :unamused:

it would if it was everywhere but it does seem like its just our depot doing these strange things,maybe there after the depot that makes the most profit award[if there is such a thing,
ive no issues going out with half a tank if they give me a diesel card,but im not paying to fill the truck up[£50 not even going to make a dent in it],send us 1/2 full but with a diesel card then if we do run low we can just fill it up

the strange thing to me is they seem to want to save every penny they can[fair enough] then they say if you fill in stobart survey youll get a freeYORKIE BAR,5,000 YORKIE BARS :open_mouth: :unamused: ,whats the cost of that,then theres all the gadgets you get if you make a good suggestion,why not say can you just fill in this survey,ta :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

dessy:

arnt they asking you TRAMPERS[mugs :wink: :laughing: ] to pay for your parking now :question: and then claim it back on expenses later[2 weeks later],10 nightsx£15 appx=£150 out of your pocket :wink: ,or am i reading that iso-trac message wrong :question: ,must be a shift driver barking up wrong tree :stuck_out_tongue:

ady1:

Wheel Nut:

thats why i wouldnt go without full tank,i really wouldnt want to be trying to explain how id run out of fuel in dartford tunnels,id guess the driver would cop it too,fine ,jail :wink:

When I worked for one foreign outfit you filled up in Belgium then back to UK for multi drops,you then had to run on fumes most of the time because of UK fuel prices, we had to ring in to get authorisation to fuel up, most of the time it was 50 to 100 ltrs only, I never actually ran out, but my arse was chewing my undercrackers going over the Dartford bridge on way to Dover, and I was so low one night it wouldn,t go up the ramp on the Hull ferry. :blush: :blush:

robroy:

ady1:

Wheel Nut:

When I worked for one foreign outfit you filled up in Belgium then back to UK for multi drops,you then had to run on fumes most of the time because of UK fuel prices, we had to ring in to get authorisation to fuel up, most of the time it was 50 to 100 ltrs only, I never actually ran out, but my arse was chewing my undercrackers going over the Dartford bridge on way to Dover, and I was so low one night it wouldn,t go up the ramp on the Hull ferry. :blush: :blush:

i think young lad who tried sittingbourne on half ish tank was like you,said he was looking all way down thinking this isnt going to happen,at least he had common sense to drop tri at averly then look for fuel bob tail,not so bad then if you run out :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

The company I do a bit of part time for have a habit of “lightening the tanks” also, they ask that I fill the truck in Jabbeke only, I run to Venlo and back so when I went a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the fuel gauge was virtually on E but the light wasn’t on, I mentioned it to the boss who said "it’s okay there is about 300 miles worth left in it, the tanks hold about 1100 litres, (Bham to Jabbeke = 260 miles ish), man my ar$e was puckered up when I got there, I swear the thing was chugging as I pulled in, probably my imagination but the fuel light came on when I was only at Oxford on the way out.

It’s nowt to do with economy I’m told they empty the tanks and use it in the vans they run on UK work, as I only do the odd run for them I don’t know this for a fact but I suppose it all depends on what price they are paying for the fuel, these pennies add up when you use a large amount of the stuff.

brados:
It’s nowt to do with economy I’m told they empty the tanks and use it in the vans they run on UK work, as I only do the odd run for them I don’t know this for a fact but I suppose it all depends on what price they are paying for the fuel, these pennies add up when you use a large amount of the stuff.

If there is any mention of your company on this site, it may be best to remove it as smuggling is a serious offence :wink:

Several companies I have worked for have refused to let us fuel in the UK, even going to the point of letting you use another drivers truck to do a delivery in Scotland as they had more fuel in them.

ady1:

dessy:

arnt they asking you TRAMPERS[mugs :wink: :laughing: ] to pay for your parking now :question: and then claim it back on expenses later[2 weeks later],10 nightsx£15 appx=£150 out of your pocket :wink: ,or am i reading that iso-trac message wrong :question: ,must be a shift driver barking up wrong tree :stuck_out_tongue:

Always on expences Ady! As for your original post! Lighten the Lorry! :laughing:
You tug reefers up there! You already have the lightest loads on the Stobart fleet surely! :grimacing:

I maintain it’s your Manager on a money saving exercise! Trying to look good to those above him/her! :laughing:
Just run around solo all day/night with no trailer or don’t run any loads at all! :unamused:

Your driver who was at Aveley for diesel is a numbtie if he can’t find the fuel stop at Thurrock! As it is half a mile or so from Coop at Thurrock! :laughing: