Could this little statistic be true?

Had to attend for one hour a Tesco class today on this new fangled “Fleetboard” truck management system they are fitting to their fleet nationwide.
One of the stats they showed was to get a loaded 40t 5 axle artic from 0mph up to 56mph cost approx (at todays UK prices) £1.20 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :cry:
Also when idling a 400hp truck it used approx one British gallon per hour in diesel :exclamation:
How do they do it in North America when 1000’s of trucks idle 24/7 in the extreme cold of Winter and the hot Summers :question:

Could this be true or a load of waffle :question: :neutral_face:

I’d say he’s talking out of his arse. You can’t trust anything Tesco say! You can only equate cost to litres used, so by the theory that 0 to 56 uses 1 litre, every truck inside the M25 would use a full tank of derv everyday, because presumably, just accelerating to 30 would use half a litre. Rubbish! As for idle consumption, a Volvo uses half a gallon an hour, but those mercs must be juicy if they use a litre to accelerate

It’s definate bollox Tesco’s trucks never do 56mph.

I was charging batteries up on my daf idling it, cant remember exact figure but it was around gallon a hour and i can easily belive a fully freighted motor would wash through a litres worth of diesel getting upto speed hence the reason i ■■■■ out the window lol :laughing:

PROB A LOAD OF ■■■■■■■■ AS LIKE WHAT ONE SENSIBLE PERSON HAS ALREADY SAID DONT BELIEVE WHAT TESCO SAY! I WORK FOR THE COOP AND THEY HAVE LIMITED VEHICLES TO 52MPH AND DONT THINK ITS SAVING THAT MUCH.WOULD HELP IF THEY UNDERSTOOD TRANSPORT!400HP UNIT I WISH THE COOP WOULD HAVE A FIT!

I’m affraid guys it will be very true.

Dont take my word for it, work it out.

Without having a calculator to hand. An artic doing 8.5 mpg costs approx 55 pence per mile in fuel, so a truck pulling away from a standing start doing say 4mpg will easily be near the figure mentioned.

Get your calculator fuel price £1.02 pence per litre. x 4.546 = gallons. divide figure by say 4 mpg and you will get the figure.

Anybody driving a truck with a computer would be able to see the mpg from a standing start if they use it.

As for Idling 1 gallon per hour ish is correct.

PS never believe what Tesco say!!!

8.5mpg = 3km/ltr so it’s quite feasible to use 1 litre of fuel in 1000 metres accelerating to 56mph.

Stan