Are spotlights leagle?

My dislike of bling ought to be well known by now, but I was wondering if the extra jobbies were leagle. Bleeding nuisance anyways :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused: .

Cheers

Ian.

I would have thought they are Legal

Not if the centres are less than 24" (600mm) from the ground, unless in conditions of reduced visibility, which, I think, is determined as 100 yards.

The old anomaly used to be with the Triumph Vitesse, which had separate main beams inside and slightly below the dipped beam lamps. On cross-ply tyres, which were the norm when it was designed, they were legal. But fit radial ply tyres, and they became technically illegal. Although no-one ever bothered about that.

Nowadays the use of spots has become a fashion item. We have a generation of car drivers that fail to realise that, on a wet road, the glare reflects off the water droplets on the road surface straight into the eyes of oncoming motorists.

Having said that. I find that with my car, the headlamps are focussed so far ahead that, in country lanes, I find difficulty in following the line of the verge unless I have the spots on. They have their uses in particular situations.

However, in general terms, they are a pain in the posterior. :open_mouth:

well then krankee,get a renault clio and youā€™ll be able to adjust you lights in the direction you want to look :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

krankee, this thread might be of interestā€¦see my postings of mon. 15th.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ā€¦ f9d5fb79af

I think there is a race on as to who can fit the biggest and the most lights on a roof barā€¦above and belowā€¦the most i have seen is 10ā€¦is this a recordā€¦and what forā€¦with the modern truck i find that the headlights fitted are sufficient, and the scania does have fitted spots in the sun visor which to my mind is also sufficientā€¦the only problems i had when driving in the dark was in Romania where there are no street lights ā€¦but at night full beam enabled me to see quite clearlyā€¦now take the red light in the cabā€¦thats a different matter
have a nice day

I donā€™t see what the problem is. Some people like driving wagons for pleasure, not just to earn a crust. They like to take great pride in keeping them polished and making it stand out from the crowd. I donā€™t think that thereā€™s any doubt that adding a light bar or two improves the appearance and attractiveness.

Truck shows would become a very dull place if spots were outlawed.

Iā€™m all for the bling but I think light bars ruin the lines of a good looking truck.

Click Happy:
I donā€™t see what the problem is. Some people like driving wagons for pleasure, not just to earn a crust. They like to take great pride in keeping them polished and making it stand out from the crowd. I donā€™t think that thereā€™s any doubt that adding a light bar or two improves the appearance and attractiveness.

Totally agree with everything you have said. :sunglasses: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:
Also welcome to Trucknetuk, hope you have a great time :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

Click Happy:

You ever been hit right between the eyes from a bloke whoā€™s flashed someone in the outside lane of a dual carridgway when your overtaking the other way? Instant blue spots. Thatā€™s why I keep chuntering about 'em. Had it a couple of times since the clocks changed. If youā€™ve got 'em then switch 'em off. 2 headlights are alright for everyone else. Why should you have 3 million? Oh, yeah, welcome to Trucknet ClickHappy. Thatā€™s not aimed at you by the way, the last bitā€™s just a general rant. :wink:.

MAD28:

Click Happy:

Totally agree with everything you have said. :sunglasses: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:
Also welcome to Trucknetuk, hope you have a great time :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

Agreed :wink:

In terms of how many you could get on a truck-about 17 at least(this is based on a Scania which can have 4 in the sunvisor) :smiley:

they must be geat for assisting with fuel economy too :open_mouth:
even a difference of 0.2 mpg can = a sizeable bill over a years mileage.

yea 6 up top 4 long bottom 4 in visor would be nice lol

Yeah and I bet those with umpteen spots are the ones who drive around with front fogs on on cars when its not foggy, and people with exhausts that make tanks sound quiet just cos ā€œit looks cool mateā€. Itā€™s not cool it looks ridiculous and its overkill, just like rope lights and blinking lights in the cab, its a truck not a (zb) christmas tree!

Ok Itā€™s time for my pills

take it easy

Allrighty

edited for language :wink: if it needs stars and spelling changes to get past the censor it means itā€™s not allowed mrs mix :wink:

I have had trouble reading this thread as I was flashed in last night by a German bloke who had 18 spotlights on his Scania and my vision is only just returning to normal. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

This was on the A81 autobahn between Wurzburg and Heilbronn which is an unlit motorway and with it being so dark the effect on my night vison was bad to say the least. As I went past him I saw the number of lights he had fitted and thought this is going to hurt if he flashes, and there was no doubt he would make a meal of flashing otherwise he wouldnā€™t have fitted so many. I didnā€™t even look in the mirror but it still hurt. :wink: :smiley:

He had six above the windscreen and two rows of six, one above the other, low down on what looked like a homemade light bar type thing.

Long live spotlights :wink: :smiley: :wink:

They are legal as long as they are routed through a seperate switch.
Years ago the police used to stop a lot of Dutchmen coming from the ferry in Harwich if they saw them using roof mounted spots.If they could show that they can be disconnected by a switch then theyā€™d let them go.

I personally think a couple of extra lamps mounted above the windscreen are a good thing if the conditions warrant it.

allrighty:
Yeah and I bet those with umpteen spots are the ones who drive around with front fogs on on cars when its not foggy, and people with exhausts that make tanks sound quiet just cos ā€œit looks cool mateā€. Itā€™s not cool it looks ridiculous and its overkill, just like rope lights and blinking lights in the cab, its a truck not a (zb) christmas tree!

Ok Itā€™s time for my pills

take it easy

Allrighty

edited for language :wink: if it needs stars and spelling changes to get past the censor it means itā€™s not allowed mrs mix :wink:

Those exhaust stacks ARE cool ! Even better are the customed side exit ā€˜stacksā€™ which sound fantastic, even on a non-V8 motor. Bring em on ! And yes, ā€˜just coz it sounds cool mateā€™. Hehe.

V8KARLV8:
Long live spotlights :wink: :smiley: :wink:

I second that one Karl!, I have a light bar and ten spots en route from the UK as we speak, canā€™t wait to get 'em and put them on my VN and I canā€™t wait to try 'em out on the first Yank who comes at me with his main beams on and who refuses to dim 'em even after being flashed several times! which should be one of the first three cars that I meet. According to the law of averages, it seems ones in every three cars has their main beams on permanently! :imp:

Click Happy, i agree with you again :laughing: , those stacks look great, and sound great :sunglasses: . I also think extra side lights look good. :sunglasses: :smiley:
Cliff Warby your VN is going to look very smart with those extra lights :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :smiley: