Why are people against this form of lighting
i travel on roads where i need to increase the
visibility,and by the correct use of these lights
it makes my job easyer and safer,also use them as
working lights as and when required, when these
lights are fitted on a vehicle here in Germany we
have to fit the lights so that they only operate as the
law allows, SORRY FOR ME THEY ARE A MUST

Because they’re not fitted for extra illumination purposes over here Pete. They’re fitted for “look at me in my big shiny glory-boy 580” purposes only.

Totally agree with you pete,on an open road,especially in the countryside,they are a godsend.
They illuminate the road ahead far better than lights positioned lower down.

brit pete:
Why are people against this form of lighting
i travel on roads where i need to increase the
visibility,and by the correct use of these lights
it makes my job easyer and safer,also use them as
working lights as and when required, when these
lights are fitted on a vehicle here in Germany we
have to fit the lights so that they only operate as the
law allows, SORRY FOR ME THEY ARE A MUST

all well and good in the right place,but when you have just overtaken the wagon you dont wont a 10 second flash in your mirrows from them :laughing: :laughing:

I think once upon a time in this country we used to use back roads and some drivers needed them which is fair enough, but with the 7.5 ton weight limit being a more and more common these days and springing up everywhere and anywhere most lorries are stuck on the main trunks.

I can understand some tippers and milk wagons having them (they use alot of back roads) but people who drive on the main trunks have no need for them whatsoever and i personally think they should be banned, for many reasons such as idiots who cant seem to work out that the oncomin g vehicles are on the other side of a brow but still insist on keeping them on until the last minute.

One of the problems is that if you ban roof lights, what would the frilly curtain boys do to make their lorries more appealing to the same ■■■?, their only alternative would be to fit more fog lights ,SORRY driving and rain lights did i say fog?.

I saw some ■■■■■■■■ the the other day with his side lights on and his roof bar on thinking he looked cool at 6 a.m. but in fact he looked like a ■■■■■

jammymutt:
One of the problems is that if you ban roof lights, what would the frilly curtain boys do to make their lorries more appealing to the same ■■■

:laughing:

tbh there is no need for them over here. apart from as rob says, look at me in my 580 blah blah.

nine times out of ten i dont even use high beam.it just isnt needed 99% of the time.

side lights which are fitted in lights that are on
cab roofs ARE ILLEGAL ,and if you have
these type of lights fitted be aware that they will fine you if
they catch you out,mainly ITALY;FRANCE;AUSTRIA;

brit pete:
side lights which are fitted in lights that are on
cab roofs ARE ILLEGAL ,and if you have
these type of lights fitted be aware that they will fine you if
they catch you out,mainly ITALY;FRANCE;AUSTRIA;

Well how does that work then, considering that every truck made has sidelights fitted in the roof? I think you’re talking rubbish now Pete. :confused:

i think its if you have them on if you can turn them off with a switch then you should be of considering the amount of itallian dutch and spanish trucks that have them

They are illegal on the road because they are to high (C&U Regs.) :wink: :wink:

ROB K YOU CAN BUY SPOT LIGHTS WITH SIDE LIGHTS FITTED
JUST TRY LOOKING ;;AND WHAT YOU SAY ARE SIDE LIGHTS ARE POSITION LIGHTS FITTED FROM THE FACTORY TO SHOW THE HEIGHT AND POSITION OF THE THE CABS ROOF:

RUBBISH IS WHAT ONE IS IGNORANT OF;TRY READING A BIT MORE IN YOUR FREE TIME IT MAY IMPROVE YOUR KNOWLEDGE;

I drive into the sticks all the time and would LOVE a set of ‘proper’ lights on my wagon… :cry:

MORE IMPORTANTLY, what about the RS’s in cars that don’t dip their normal high beam, when on the opposite side of the motorway / dual track… !!!

I need a set of high lights for driving, but I WANT a set so I can flash those ignorant cars back… :imp:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

ohterry:
tbh there is no need for them over here. apart from as rob says, look at me in my 580 blah blah.

nine times out of ten i dont even use high beam.it just isnt needed 99% of the time.

Exactly, even at 2 in the morning there is so much traffic about, you rare get to keep the mains on for long before dipping them.

Thing is with roof lights, Scania have spaces for two of them in their exterior sunvisors. But two should be enough, when you see 4, 6 or even 8 then that’s just pointless, and chances are it uses loads more diesel with the increased drag anyway.

As brit pete says, so long as they’re used properly there’s nothing wrong with them really, trouble is so few people use them properly.

brit pete:
ROB K YOU CAN BUY SPOT LIGHTS WITH SIDE LIGHTS FITTED
JUST TRY LOOKING ;;AND WHAT YOU SAY ARE SIDE LIGHTS ARE POSITION LIGHTS FITTED FROM THE FACTORY TO SHOW THE HEIGHT AND POSITION OF THE THE CABS ROOF:

RUBBISH IS WHAT ONE IS IGNORANT OF;TRY READING A BIT MORE IN YOUR FREE TIME IT MAY IMPROVE YOUR KNOWLEDGE;

So why is it illegal to have side lights inside other lights on the roof? Do you have an official link to this rule please?

Sidelights in SPOT-lights ARE ILLEGAL

because the do not conform with C&U rules, and they are therefore
illegal ,also they are too high which in any countrys traffic laws
will be shown if you loOk,AND WHAT is really the reason IS THAT
over here the police will just say PAY and as the lights on the cab roof are down as working lights not position lights ,so you end up paying when useing them as sidelights or position lights,

It is true that lights have to be mounted within certain measured peramiters to comply with Construction and use regulations, and that the lights on roof bars are way too high to comply. However, I have never had a vehicle fail an MOT through having spot lights with side lights mounted on a roof bar. I guess the ministry just aren’t that bothered. My “glory boy” motors are only 400 & 430bhp, do they count?

Tramper:
It is true that lights have to be mounted within certain measured peramiters to comply with Construction and use regulations, and that the lights on roof bars are way too high to comply. However, I have never had a vehicle fail an MOT through having spot lights with side lights mounted on a roof bar. I guess the ministry just aren’t that bothered. My “glory boy” motors are only 400 & 430bhp, do they count?

Its not illegal for them to be there, it is illegal to use them on the public highway. They will concider them worklights.

ralliesport:
Its not illegal for them to be there, it is illegal to use them on the public highway. They will consider them worklights.

Thats why the trucks never fail the MOT then, but it is daft ain’t it! :laughing:

Tramper:
My “glory boy” motors are only 400 & 430bhp, do they count?

Yes if you are in a 1985 timewarp. But in todays world the answer is no ! 400 to 430 Bhp is universally known as " El Boggo" or I can struggle by with that if the wages and hours are good enough. But to be in real glory boy territory it has to start with a 6 then you will have aimers [sorry ] drivers beating a path to your door but it must have the largest cab in the range as well or they wont work for the lower rate offered on these vehicles [someone has to subsidise the higher vehicle cost ]. All may not be lost though Tramper as these vehicles come available after about 18 months in CM with the ubiquitous take over lease payments adverts you may also get the benefit of the low wage Glory Aimer contacting you for a job to drive said truck :smiling_imp: