Are Cable Ties the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread?

I think so: You can do a temporary repair on just about anything with a few of them.

Came back down the M6 yesterday with the under-run bar held neatly in place with two of these useful items.

Santa:
I think so: You can do a temporary repair on just about anything with a few of them.

Came back down the M6 yesterday with the under-run bar held neatly in place with two of these useful items.

Cable ties, duct tape, jubilee clips, baler twine and a few self tappers :laughing:

Go anywhere with that lot, just hopeless for making bacon sandwiches though :laughing:

Santa:

I don’t think you’d be quite so smug if VOSA had pulled you. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DieselDemon:

Santa:

I don’t think you’d quite so smug if VOSA had pulled you. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But the old and best way of repairing damaged mud flaps and torn mud guards for annual test was a big bag of cable ties, a drill and stitch them back together.

Wheel Nut:

Santa:

Cable ties, duct tape, jubilee clips, baler twine and a few self tappers :laughing:

Go anywhere with that lot, just hopeless for making bacon sandwiches though :laughing:

you forgot silicon sealer off that list!!

Wire coathangers used to be a must, I brought a scania back from Italy on one years ago.
Then it was known as ingenuity, now it would be running with dangerous parts.

About 3 years ago, my mate and I went to the Autograss stockhatch national final at Silloth, hosted by Solway autograss club.

He was competing, and I was wielding the spanners for the weekend. After his first race, he got into a scrap with another car which resulted in the loss of his entire front bumper. As he came into the pits, I had a couple of minutes to assess the damage, and then reached into the toolbox and brought out the trusty old bag of cable ties.

Five minutes of drilling and attatching of cable ties later, and the bumper held together for the entire weekend after that. Furthermore, he sold the car at the end of the season with the front end still held on by the plastic miracles.

I say give the guy a knighthood who invented them.

Ken.

Heard a factoid on Steve Wright t’other day saying sliced bread has been around since 1920something. Question is; what was the best thing before then?

Ive just made a right mess in my cab, butter & jam everywhere and ive broken a tooth :laughing:

the maoster:
Heard a factoid on Steve Wright t’other day saying sliced bread has been around since 1920something. Question is; what was the best thing before then?

hiya,
Unsliced bread??
thanks harry long retired.

A bloke told me on the boat one day, he drove back from Italy with the drive axle held on by cable ties.

He was spinning round to go back with it the same!!

Is this the right thread for this story? :laughing:

I towed a loaded artic from Stranraer to Dover with two cable ties so he could catch the boat and get a tow on the other side. Bet you don’t believe me.

they can be the best thing but they can also be a dangerous thing if not tightend up properly

They can be used by policemen, wannabe traffic cops and even me in some circumstances, especially when I cant find these.

Wheel Nut:

i still call them ‘bob ties’ in honour of your mate malc - he used to use bloody thousands to tidy up all strap ends, loose chains, anything. always looked good but DH used to pull his hair out at what is cost him :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jj72:

Wheel Nut:

i still call them ‘bob ties’ in honour of your mate malc - he used to use bloody thousands to tidy up all strap ends, loose chains, anything. always looked good but DH used to pull his hair out at what is cost him :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I spoke to him on the phone on Friday, they are waiting to rebuild him when they find his heart :laughing:

When we were in Grenoble we went to the builders merchants over the way, we bought timber, nails, hammers, handsaws and shelf brackets to fasten the flashing lights and ladders to :laughing: If we could have found a big bolster we would have chiseled a groove in the Zelzate tunnel for you too :stuck_out_tongue: