Cut and bent re-bar

Anyone carry cut and bent re-bar regularly? I’ve been hauling it for about 15 years on flat trailers with sockets and posts with no problems regarding loads being properly tied down, always tied what I thought needed to be secured and haven’t had a problem yet.However it seems now that the RSA here in Ireland are on a crusade about load security the same as Vosa seem to be, I’ve searched the net for recommended load securing methods for cut and bent re - bar but can’t find anything. Haven’t been pulled yet but want to be prepared for when I am so anyone know where I could find out or what methods do you use? Always used ratchet and straps but thinking chains and ratchets might be better, pain in the ■■■ but who am I to tell a guy with a book a diagram and no experience how to do something I’ve been doing well for the last 15 years :imp:

Usually have pins up just depends on sizes really. We just use ratchets and straps, if it has been loaded well its not gonna move but I still throw plenty straps over even just to keep vosa happy tbh

I saw a tautliner in Tebay truckstop last night with a load only just bulging in the curtains ,BUT it had about ten ratchet straps over the roof… are people getting paranoid ■■

This is the problem, it’s not paranoia it’s just trying to save the hassle and risk of a fine, like I said I’ve been carrying it for years with no problems but now you have to convince someone that’s never done it that it’s safe ! A mate of mine was stopped last week with three long concrete beams on a flat, he had them tied with two chains as they always are, he was made to buy 13 ratchet and straps and edge protectors and use them all on the load, whatever next…

Ratchet straps are fine, chains would be over kill.

Trukkertone:
I saw a tautliner in Tebay truckstop last night with a load only just bulging in the curtains ,BUT it had about ten ratchet straps over the roof… are people getting paranoid ■■

Sawdust , wood chip maybe ?

Trukkertone:

Possibly tyres used to load them out of Germany and would about 5 ratchet straps over the trailer to stop it bulging out to far

Trukkertone:

If you have a slightly bulging load, it is better to put some straps over, especially if you are going on a ferry or train. The railways call it out of profile, the ferries just back a trailer into it and rip the sheets. When carrying tyres we had to interweave a spare set of tilt boards between the originals, put 3 straps over and then they would start to load the trailer.

Every little helps :laughing: