An engine which could have been?

Another odd ball one this but anyone have experience of the old 200hp 10.6Litre Perkins V8’s? Used to be fitted in Ford Cargo 2820 tractors.
I drove one a couple of times for a local parcel co. and it proved a completely different animal to the revvy 8.6Litre version. Not much in the way of torque but had a nice V8 rumble if nothing else. Always thought if it was developed further with maybe twin turbo’s and an intercooler it really could have been something else. A missed opportunity by Perkins’s maybe■■?
Listen to me…this coming from someone with no time for Brit motors :laughing: .

Andy :wink:

Best engine Leyland Leopard coach .I think it was a Leyland 600 or 602.But coupled to the correct exhaust.What a bark they had.A straight six that made a noise that a V8 only dreamed about.I love V8s I,ve had a Range Rover and it was superb .But the leopard :open_mouth:

johnpirate:
Best engine Leyland Leopard coach .I think it was a Leyland 600 or 602.But coupled to the correct exhaust.What a bark they had.A straight six that made a noise that a V8 only dreamed about.I love V8s I,ve had a Range Rover and it was superb .But the leopard :open_mouth:

do you mean this sound

clicky clicky

Even at that short bit you can here that noise !!.Great sound !!

Johnpirate… maybe you could answer something that I thought about for years, what was the difference between the Leyland Badger and the Beaver, because the Badger always sounded alot throatier than the Beaver.

Honestly I dont know unless if they had the same engine.One has a straight though or a freer breathing exhaust.

The Badger had a O.600 Power Plus engine and the Beaver had an O.680 Power Plus (at least, the late LAD and Ergomatic models did)

i still remember having the pivelage of being in a 2-series scania with v8 and uprights, something ill not forget in some time!!

Thanks Marky, yes it was the Ergo version we had at Banbury Building.

I think the leopard had a 602 engine

AndrewG:
Another odd ball one this but anyone have experience of the old 200hp 10.6Litre Perkins V8’s? Used to be fitted in Ford Cargo 2820 tractors.
I drove one a couple of times for a local parcel co. and it proved a completely different animal to the revvy 8.6Litre version. Not much in the way of torque but had a nice V8 rumble if nothing else. Always thought if it was developed further with maybe twin turbo’s and an intercooler it really could have been something else. A missed opportunity by Perkins’s maybe■■?
Listen to me…this coming from someone with no time for Brit motors :laughing: .

They bought Rolls and had the 12 litre Eagle already there developed in the range. At 28 tons in the old Cargo’s they went pretty well on the flat, not so good on the hills.

AndrewG:

Had one in a Big J in the early '70’s. It had a flat floor as to the engine hump for the Gardner / ■■■■■■■■ I think it was an “experimental” Big J, as I never saw another one with a Perkins, but did see a one with a ■■■■■■■ V6. Fuel consumption was about the same as the straight 6 ■■■■■■■■ but the HP was up by 20, and in those days that was a lot extra .