Am I getting enough rest?

My present job makes me work six days a week for two out of three weeks. Start at 6am and usually finish around 4pm, driving about 7 hours a day. (inluding the Saturdays), which gives me a daily rest of about 14 hours. My weekly rest though is about 38 hours on the short weekends. Reading the DofE Drivers hours and Tacho regs (if I am reading them right),my understanding is that the spare hours on my daily rests cannot be used to compensate my weekly rests, but if I only do two out of three saturdays, my long weekend off has enough hours (62) to enable me to compensate for the short weekends. I am asking this as I was requested to do a third weekend to cover a shortage, but luckily I had other plans and had to say no, although I was fairly certain I would have been illegal if I had driven anyway.
Apologies for my stream of daft questions every time I post a topic. Perhaps I should post on the New and Wannabe forum, although I have had my HGV for 25 years. It is just that having now recently become a full time driver my horizons are being widened for me, and it is mostly a steep learning curve. That said, I do appreciate the prompt and helpful replies I have had to my earlier posts.

Cue Neil to come forward with the official blurb put through the “idiot” word translator for us mere mortals :laughing: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

as long as you compensate on your 3rd week you should be ok

The way you are working at the moment you are legal. The long weekend you have compensates you for the two reduced weekly rests. If you had two at 38 hours you will have 14 to make up and the 62 hour break leaves you 18 spare hours so you have compensated for both reductions.

You are right in saying that in your case the extra daily rests cannot be used to compensate for the reduced weekly rests because each reduction in weekly rest must be made up by an equal period of rest attached to a weekly or daily rest period and taken in one continuous period before the end of the third week following the week in question. As your over night rests periods are 14 hours that doesn’t leave you a block of 7 to use as compensation.

As compensation for a reduction in weekly rest must be taken before the end of the third week following the week in question you could have done the third weekend but could not have then done your two normal reduced weekly rests on the following two weekends. This is because the following weekend (the one after your third short weekend) you would need to compensate for the first of your short weekends so would have needed 52 hours of rest minimum. You would also still have to make up the reduction for the second and third short weekends either on the same weekend or over the next two.

This is my reading of the situation based on the information you have provided.