Alpha flight services interview

Got an interview at Manchester Airport to drive one of those lift up food trucks that load the goods on the planes. Anyone know what it’s like etc. And do I tell them my secret shame of being a plane spotter :open_mouth:

Never worked for them but I see them at Birmingham pretty often. I think it’s one of those jobs with bits of hard work in between periods of nothing to do.

no idea what the jobs like mate,but i wonder if you get any free food :question: :question: :laughing:
anyway,good luck with the interview.

Just remember not to pull out on anything cause you`ll not be the biggest thing on the road anymore. Good luck with the interview.

I was offered a job at leeds/bfd airport,the other week with them ,did the assesment in their truck for a half hour,its full auto (button for forward , button for neutral and a button for reverse) and left hand drive , bit weird for a few minutes, but you get used to it, just drive in the gutter and your sorted, just remember its 10% driving 90% handballing and 12hour shifts, inc bank holidays.

I turned them down though ,for a permanent job at ocado delivering groceries to homes across the north of england,in a reefer/sprinter ,the hours are friendlier.

good luck.

p.s forgot to add the hours were 4am till 4pm and noon till midnight ,3on 3off then 4 on 3 off

LASHHGV:
Got an interview at Manchester Airport to drive one of those lift up food trucks that load the goods on the planes. Anyone know what it’s like etc. And do I tell them my secret shame of being a plane spotter :open_mouth:

never been there so no idea what its like but heres a map and a few pics to give you an idea what it looks like and it should be easy to find as it is well sign-posted from the M56 motorway

i done that job in the airforce for a bit and we got loads of freebies but i doubt its like that in the real world and can imagine you to be quite busy at an airport like manchester, trucks are a doddle to drive though.
you had to wait for a mashaller to watch you up to the plane, and if i remember right the older trucks had two ptos. one for the legs and one for the body. lower the legs till you get the green level light, then jump in the body and raise to the required height.
you then had a small slide out extension on the body to slide out to reach the plane doors. old boxes off and new one on.
all the old food is in the old boxes so therewill be plenty of unopened crackers,biscuits etc etc but whilst they should not be reused i can imagine they are.

Thanks for all the info. I’m still in two minds about the job as it’s only £7.64 an hour and temp till October. They do however want part time as well which may suit me better as I’m on a decent agency job. Really I just want a proper job with proper money. Done agency for 11 years I think I’ve served my apprentiship now.

A lot gets wasted at airports as they’re not allowed to take stuff on planes thats anywhere near its use by date, what happens to it i don’t know, however a friend used to work as a marshaller at an airport and used to bring home boxes of sandwiches, flapjack, mince pies, shorts etc etc :slight_smile:

Did an interview for this once, at Gatwick, as has been said it is 10% driving and 90% handballing.
I’d personally say stay away, but each to their own.

Alex

(Also a geeky aeroplane spotter!)

Think we should have a plane spotter forum :smiley:

Paul@midway worked for East Midlands airport I believe, if he is still on these forums.

Got a letter today saying I have to do a interview test, a coulour blindness test and a driving assessment should take 90 mins in total. I really would rather get into the freight side I just done my class B security course. And on a shameful not I just took my new wife to the airport pub for a bit of spotting she thinks I’m very sad :blush:

LASHHGV:
Got a letter today saying I have to do a interview test, a coulour blindness test and a driving assessment should take 90 mins in total. I really would rather get into the freight side I just done my class B security course. And on a shameful not I just took my new wife to the airport pub for a bit of spotting she thinks I’m very sad :blush:

its a big ask but once in you could try to get on the refueller side of things. highly paid job :wink:

Always do the front of your hi-viz - threes strikes and your out

LASHHGV:

Yep ,i had to do a numeracy test also,basically given a row of serial number bar codes,i had to circle the two that matched, there are a few of those to catch you out,plus a few simple addition sums, also a bit of text about alarms going off, what they all mean, the answers are in the text, to prove you can read.

Oh and they only offered me £7.20ph,(all the other lads up their ,on the old contract were on £8.50ph WTF !!) no wonder they struggle to recruit people. After the airports re-opened, after the ash scare, i got a call the day after , asking me to start the next morning, with no paperwork or Trms. and conds/contract of employment/letter of acceptance, absolutely nothing ,yet at the interview i was told,upon receiving my paperwork , that i would have to do an online CRB check, cost £23,if successful print off a receipt ,for a £23 re-fund !!,so after 3 weeks referencing and security checks i knocked it back,they weren’t pleased.They seem very poorly organised to me. Both shift managers told me that they had both left the company and returned at least 3 or 4 times each.

I did baggage handling at newcastle airport back in the mid 90’s. Seasonal temp as usual, while there we were all asking around looking for full time work but no luck for many of us.
We were told to stay away from alpha even then, looks like nowt’s changed since then!!

Goldfinger:
I did baggage handling at newcastle airport back in the mid 90’s. Seasonal temp as usual, while there we were all asking around looking for full time work but no luck for many of us.
We were told to stay away from alpha even then, looks like nowt’s changed since then!!

I would have been refuelling then for Conoco/BP at Newcastle but even that job is crap now. Wouldnt touch the catering with a barge pole, always was a bad job. Think of the shifts 5 out of 7 24hour cover, not good. Stay away.

Well i done the deed. 15 mins driving test which was pretty weird never drove a left ■■■■■■ before but not too bad.
As someone told before easy maths and english test. Then interview and job description.
Hmmmmm well its 4 on 2 off. Shifts 5.00 -13.00 then 13.00 - 21.00 of which the morning one will prob count me out of job cos im not getting up at 3am. Also an 8 hour shift doesnt give you much earning power. I enquired about part time but then its all weekends and i will still need to do some of my agency job to earn a decent wage.
Wages £7.64 rsing to £8.77 after training. Job will be from middle of May to October.
All in all im glad i went as it makes me feel better about my current aency job.

Here is the one i turned down re- advertised today , due to timewaster . :unamused:

SEASONAL FEH LGV DRIVER LEP

Vacancy from Jobcentre Plus
Job No:

YEA/31858
Wage

£7.20 - £8.33 PER HOUR
Hours

40 HOURS, SHIFTS, INCLUDES DAYS, EVENINGS, NIGHTS, WEEKENDS
YEADON, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE LS19
Duration

Temporary
Date posted

29 March 2010
Closing date

31 May 2010
Pension details

Pension available
Description

This Local Employment Partnership Employer shares information about new starters with Jobcentre Plus, for statistical purposes only. See RecruitmentManchester@alpha-group.com
How to apply

You can apply for this job by telephoning 0161 4351875 and asking for Recruitment Manchester.
Employer

Alpha Flight Services

I had an assessment with ocado today driving a tiptronic sprinter van,nice an easy with a 20 question mutichoice , highway theory test, seem like a good bunch of lads, nobody moaning, which is always a good sign. :smiley: