Agency problem.

I`ve been working for Manpower and Aptus since July, I have never left a job for another, what ever is being offered.

This happened about two weeks ago.
Anyway, Manpower rang to get me off a job, I refused, principles and all.

Two days later they ring and say I now need to get a full lenght birth certificate to prove I can work legaly !!!

I`m born and bred in Leicester and have worked for them for a while and now put this on me ■■

Can they do that after I have been working for them, and are they even allowed to that ■■

Is it just you they have asked to provide this or is it all the drivers they have? Maybe they have a new policy to ensure they are only using people who are legal to work? Maybe it has come to light that someone has been working for them who isn’t entitled to, so they are double checking now. I don’t see that as being a problem, not much different to checking your licence really.

Launchpad:
Can they do that after I have been working for them, and are they even allowed to that ■■

They can pretty much do whatever they want, whether you go along with it is your decision. :wink: :smiley:

Launchpad:
they ring and say I now need to get a full lenght birth certificate to prove I can work legaly !!!

I would tell them to take a long walk off a short pier. (t/net version)

I refused, principles and all.

And do some more of the above :wink:

My wife who has been working for morrisons for the past 5 years
and who is british,
got asked as did most of the workforce to bring some id in to prove they were eligeble to work in uk.
The immigration clammping down i think
and not before time

Jack Straw top man!

But surely if you have a uk driving licence, that proves your right to work (or even an EU licence)

Of course if you are of a certian ethnicity you could possibly question this on equality grounds as they are not allowed to single anyone out for anything because of someones race. :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

First of all…why r u working for Manpower for■■?.. Crap…(can’t speak for Aptus):evil: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Your quite right about sticking to your principles…:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
You remind them…that u would stick with them if the tables were turned…so fair is fair…Always in a friendly way though…no need to get anyones back up.

As far as producing your ID…don’t take this as personal…i joined them in April…(never worked for them though…it was just a crisis point)…and they asked me also…it basically to cover there backs…and filter out the illegals

Go and join a proper agency. anyhow…and stop messing around :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

no proof of national insurance number no work. if you gave them your p45 when you started and a copy of your photo card licence there should be no problem.

where i work did it and also the mrs , seems to be a common practice now.the mrs had problems because she hasnt worked since we married so her ni was in her maiden name.

jon

Is it because you is black?

jacknife:
My wife who has been working for morrisons for the past 5 years
and who is british,
got asked as did most of the workforce to bring some id in to prove they were eligeble to work in uk.
The immigration clammping down i think
and not before time

Jack Straw top man!

Likewise with my other, sorry, better :blush: :blush: half. National company and has worked for them for last eight years. Recently had to take in her passport as proof of entitlement to work in the U.K.

Don’t take it personally. It’s probably just a coincidence.

The time I’ll start to worry, is when Rikki starts to demand the same of his ‘staff’. :unamused:

Especially in the light of the ‘wages’ he pays us.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Launchpad:
I`ve been working for Manpower and Aptus since July, I have never left a job for another, what ever is being offered.

This happened about two weeks ago.
Anyway, Manpower rang to get me off a job, I refused, principles and all.

Two days later they ring and say I now need to get a full lenght birth certificate to prove I can work legaly !!!

I`m born and bred in Leicester and have worked for them for a while and now put this on me ■■

They are allowed to do it. Its a consequence of the governments nil immigration policy wherby anyone can come here but just a few (normally the indigienous people) have to prove there right to work here. Also note, you will not be asked the same questions if you require healthcare from the NHS, so thats in your favour. Anyone who pays tax here also needs a certificate!!!

jonboy:
no proof of national insurance number no work. if you gave them your p45 when you started and a copy of your photo card licence there should be no problem.

jon

See businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac … 1073858787

Passport or FULL Birth Certificate plus other stuff. P45 / P60 are not acceptable, neither is a driving licence whether it has a photo on it or not.

There is no specific requirement for any documentation, but following the regulations provides a defence if it turns out that a worker wasn’t entitled to be working here.
If the employer only asks some applicants (those of a non-caucasian ethinc grouping for instance) for the necessary proofs then they could be charged with discrimination.

I wouldn’t read anything personal into it launchpad

just correcting the link mm

driver hire wanted a copy of my birth certificate but since i stopped working for them, i didnt bother

scanny77:
driver hire wanted a copy of my birth certificate but since i stopped working for them, i didnt bother

LMAO that seems fair

Fred:

scanny77:

LMAO that seems fair

reading it back, it does seems a bit obvious :laughing:
the new agency havent asked for anything like that though :confused:

scanny77:

Fred:

scanny77:

LMAO that seems fair

reading it back, it does seems a bit obvious :laughing:
the new agency havent asked for anything like that though :confused:

Each agency has a judgement to make - asking no-one is an option, but leaves them open to the risk of prosecution if they get it wrong.
Asking just the ‘dubious’ candidates leaves them open to discrimination claims.
Asking everyone protects them from prosecution. It is far more likely that the nationals will take the most prescriptive route because in those agencies the people at risk are most distant from the operational activity of their branches.