Agency or full time job?

I’m after a bit of advice please lads. I’m currently working for an agency on a so called permanent position (on going) earning around £500 gross a week, potental to earn upto £700 but they make us go self employed so no holiday pay! Its a job i like doing and is really easy with early starts with a decent finish time. another advantage of this job is the flexibility as I’m my own boss, if I fancy a day off I have it.

BUT

Ive been offered a full time position with a reputable company who pay decent money for the area I live in. It is an employed role with all the benefits, ie holiday pay, pension, workware and the like. The wages will probably be around £50 a week (net) down on what I’m earning now. Advantages of this job is that I’ve a guaranteed wage each week including into the new year.

What would you do, stick with agency and the potential to earn big bucks? But could also be on its knees in January?
Or jump and take the full time role?

Grab it quick

I would personally take the most secure position, if there is such a thing nowadays regardless of wage,you won’t earn big bucks if the phone does not ring in january.

Take the full time position now, find some little side line on ebay or something to make up the slight drop if it’s going to cause a problem.

Hard times are coming soon we haven’t seen anything yet, wait till the downturn hits and then eventualy as must happen interest rates rise, it’s going to be bad.

Get your feet under the table at this new place and keep your head down.

The agency will drop you without a second thought once the work dries up.

Definately take full time job :slight_smile:

fulltime job. better to have a job with slightly lower pay than no work.

Take the full time job by the ■■■■■■■■ and take it with you!

Take the full time job quick before someone else does

Like the guys have said above, Agency will drop you without a care in the world and F your personal circumstances

If you decide agency, please PM me details and if its in my area, I will jump at it :wink:

No Brainer; Full time every time, you’ll be dropped like a hot potato from Jan to April, ish

Take the job.

Ive been on an on-going agency contract for four years, quite like it, then a young girl in her twenties gets promoted to traffic manager, and yesterday I get barred off site because I got a speeding ticket 46mph out in the sticks....and some other woman, whos high up in Wincanton apparently saw me without a seat belt in September. Although nothings been said about this prior to yesterday. Also I have (had)! a clean licence in fact I`ve not even had anything through the post yet.

As agency, you have very litte redress if they decide they dont want you anymore. Im gutted because I got on very well with all the guys att the company.

I’m curently on the agency, and have been for 6 years and have had some bloody good times out of it.

BUT…

If you think it’s quiet now, wait until next month when it will be worse that ever, as that is the gut feeling around these parts. I have a potential iron in the fire, and believe me if it comes off, I’m taking it without a second thought.

I would say the general concensus on here is to take it. Bigger fool you if you don’t.

Ken.

2nd option and if you don’t take it, i will send the boys round with smelly feet

Take it, agency’s are only one step up the social ladder above diesel thieves and curtain slashers. They have wrecked transport and turned thousands of drivers into paid slaves with zero employment rights.

Hiya …take the bloody job man…i earned big money in the 70’s and always had good pay but now its pension time
(yes i did pay into one) the lads who earned avarage pay and had secure jobs are now retireing on magga bucks
some getting a golden handshake plus a good income each month. some as much as 20k+ a year pension
John

Take it.

50 quid a week down, so around 450 ish a week. 4 weeks holiday per year = 1800 / 52 = 34 quid ish, so you’re only 16 quid down really, less if you include banks.

Then the security, PPE, and the fact you’re not on 1 of those ‘self employed’ cons that are about to get hammered again, as they do every few years.

3300John:
Hiya …take the bloody job man…i earned big money in the 70’s and always had good pay but now its pension time
(yes i did pay into one) the lads who earned avarage pay and had secure jobs are now retireing on magga bucks
some getting a golden handshake plus a good income each month. some as much as 20k+ a year pension
John

£20k a year - must have worked for the council then. Frankly I would take that figure with a large quantity of salt. You would need a pot of £350k to get that.

Cheers fellas. I’ve taken the job, they’ve sent my offer letter out to me and I start on monday. Thanks for all your replys, the agency job was/is a easy job with decent shift lengths, only 9/10 hours but as you all say a full time job in the current climate is the best/only way forward.

Onwards and upwards. :smiley:

Good luck Tet.

Ken.