Advice sort on MP2 2554

Are there any of you good people on here that can give me any pearls of wisdom on the the big Merc ?

Mpg, common faults etc. Anything constructive welcome ! :smiley:

The vehicle in question is a 2006 (06) 6x2 44tn Megaspace 2554 (540 V8) auto box.

Smart arses may keep their own counsel.

Goaty:
Smart arses may keep their own counsel.

aww, i wuz gonna say sell it / don’t buy it in the first place :wink: sure someone helpful will be along soon

what can i say,lucky man :slight_smile: merc salesman told me they were a bit juicy and be better off with 25460,i only run a 2543 6x2 had the usaul bits go wrong but a throbbing v8 on song who needs anything else,hope others can help you more :wink:

Cheers fella’s, I’ve been offered a ■■■■■■ back at what I feel is a good price (I don’t want to say who, what, were, when, or how on here just yet :wink: ).

I remember an article in, I think Trucking, which had one of them up against a V8 Scania (both run by Shirleys of Cellarhead). The main gripe about the Merc was the fuel consumption due to poorly geared drive axle mated to the auto box.

I thought I’d post it on TN and see if anyone had any more in depth knowledge on the subject, cos if it’s too juicy I’ll leave well alone.

my mate has one, easy to sum up, loves the engine hates the auto box, though the new powershift auto,s are very good, lets face it though you dont buy a V8 and worry about fuel consumption :smiley:

A great truck the Merc,all quality.
A friend drive’s for Camden frames in Antrim,he had an 1854,pulled a short trailer and had window frame’s in the trailer.Never heavy 5.5 ton load’s.

His mpg was around 6!!!

He kept her lit thou… :grimacing:

Don’t listen to anyone who’s never driven one, I run a 2554 auto, and I love it to bits :grimacing: . Like has been said, if you’ve got heavy feet, they like a drink, but the performance is there :sunglasses: and you don’t get owt for nowt. Running a low loader I get 6-8 mpg depending on whether its single carriageway or motorway taring off at 21,500 kgs before I’ve even loaded anything. If you like laid back easy going trucking, its the one for you. The gearbox is not for everyone, but once you tune into it, its as smooth as silk, and a big improvement over the MP1 version.
No problems so far, apart from the big fuel tank which is very low to the ground if you go off tarmac, I’ve had to straighten the carriers up after one got twisted, and cross braced them and put skids under them to help them skim over high spots.
If its got the integrated MB hands free, don’t get to excited cause they’re crap, and so is the standard radio.
I’m looking for an eminox to go on it, I’ve heard other Merc V8’s with them, and the rumbling thunder like noise is blissfull :smiling_imp:
V8 Actros will be along soon, he’s a recent convert from a Magnum :laughing:

I wonder ,is there a simple way to remove the revving retarder when idleâ– â– ?

Anyone know.

Thanks for the replies but it now looks as though I’ll be going Swedish. Cheers anyway. :grimacing:

Big Joe:
Don’t listen to anyone who’s never driven one, I run a 2554 auto, and I love it to bits :grimacing: . Like has been said, if you’ve got heavy feet, they like a drink, but the performance is there :sunglasses: and you don’t get owt for nowt. Running a low loader I get 6-8 mpg depending on whether its single carriageway or motorway taring off at 21,500 kgs before I’ve even loaded anything. If you like laid back easy going trucking, its the one for you. The gearbox is not for everyone, but once you tune into it, its as smooth as silk, and a big improvement over the MP1 version.
No problems so far, apart from the big fuel tank which is very low to the ground if you go off tarmac, I’ve had to straighten the carriers up after one got twisted, and cross braced them and put skids under them to help them skim over high spots.
If its got the integrated MB hands free, don’t get to excited cause they’re crap, and so is the standard radio.
I’m looking for an eminox to go on it, I’ve heard other Merc V8’s with them, and the rumbling thunder like noise is blissfull :smiling_imp:
V8 Actros will be along soon, he’s a recent convert from a Magnum :laughing:

ayup big joe,i’m still running the magnum mate,got a driver on it now…top bloke too :exclamation: :exclamation: anyway no real issues with the actros as yet apart from the usual little gripes that come with the 500 v8…where the hell is the power on hills etc,i’m getting 6.8mpg to just over 7.0 loaded on the brick/block work so i’m happy enough with that,and i’m on the look out for an eminox if poss as i’m keeping it a few years.andy