Advice on a used car,, can any car enthusiasts help

just a quick question if ne1 could help…

audi A6 Avant 2.5tdi triptronic, automatic gear box
my father has a 1999 audi manual same as above only manual…
he is looking at a audi with the triptronic automatic box 2003 model with a full service history… these cars are not to ppular, does anyone know what they are like, do they give bother etc etc…

thanks all would appreciate the advice.

Typical audi is well built and reliable, but beware that when they do go wrong they are expensive to fix.

A friend of mine had an Audi A8 and the routine cambelt change at the dealers cost him over £1100.

If its German put it top of the list, they dont fight world wars very well but they make Very good cars, I have had a VW Passat from 99 and only had stupid little problems with.

I have only had another car that wasnt German and was 199.9% reliable and that was a Honda.

Audi tiptronic Fingertip control. Get it right. :unamused:

Audi tiptronic? NOWAY!!

Okey so today I drove a new A6 Pro-line 3.2 FSI tiptronic, a buddy of mine bought it and he is very disappointed. He actually wanted the manual 6 ■■■■■■ but his dealer convinced him that the tiptronic is actually better because it ends in tronic. Tronic is good right?! He’s consulting with his lawyer rightnow for ways of returning the car and getting a manual. According to Dutch consumer law you are allowed to return a product with 8 days if you don’t like it but the dealer won’t take the car back. He’s specialy ■■■■■■ at the salesperson because he recommended the tiptronic over the manual.

The car is nice, very nice. Interiour and exteriour look killer, very comfortable, luxurious and has lots of power but the transmission, oh lordy lord the transmission.

Audi has over done it’s self this time when it comes to “safety”. No matter how hard to punch the gaspedal the electronics won’t let you put all the power down at once. What happens is the gas pedal and tranmission electronics conspire together to slowly and safe get the engine upto revs. There’s noway todo hard liftoff’s, no matter how hard you punch the pedal it always slowly revs the engine upto speed.

VERY VERY ANNOYING!

Kickdown? I didn’t actually time it but when you punch the pedal it takes the transmission an eternity to realize you want it to shift down a gear. So what happens is you’re all pumped up ready to go, you put your foot down and nothing happens… you look around like a fool thinking the car is broken and suddenly the electronics shift down and rev up the engine. Because you weren’t paying any attention you get the shock of your life while in the mean time the punk kid in his tricked out Jap is long gone… I’m sure some Audi engineers are laughing their arses off rightnow.

VERY VERY ANNOYING!

And the worste of all, the very very worste of all! The frikking thing won’t let you rev up the engine even if it’s in manual! If you dare to come anywhere near the redline EVEN IN MANUAL it automaticaly shifts up, cause whe wouldn’t want the engine in the redline do whe?

VERY VERY FRIKKING ANNOYING!

Now lets recap. You have this beautifull car. Has a powerfull V6 3.2l FSI engine with 255 ponies and there’s noway to get any joy out of those ponies because Audi sais so.

I’m an electronics engineer myself and I’m all for electronics providing safety and luxury and all that yada yada, but this?! No way I’m ever going to drive a car like that. There’s noway I’m going to let some engineer tell me what I can and cannot do with my car, specialy not when the pricetag is wel over 70k euro!

Harry, you’ve just described the exact same problems that my bros best mate is having with his, although his is the new A3 with the same engine and box. He’s had it about 6 months and for 5 of them it’s been in the garage and they still haven’t found anything wrong… in their opinion.

Rob This is not my description. Its from some Dutch car forum.But it describes the probs with this particular model. The real problem is that the electronic geeks have been let loose & cars that were once the by-word for quality are now plagued with too-clever bugs. it started with Mercs a few years ago. They gave their latest S class limo to the Pope. It kept on breaking down in traffic. It was the fuel management system. But for years they kept the same design. A mate of mine bought one for limo work in London. It still had the same prob. It nearly skinted him.

thanks for the advice, is it really that bad,
surely it cant hold you back that much… or can it

Google around the forums…