Advice for a Glasgow newbie

Hi Everyone,

I’m seriously thinking about doing my cat C LGV license aquisition. I’m stuck in a career that I’m not happy with would love to do truck driving as I love driving and I think I’d enjoy it a lot more then what I’m doing now. I stay in Glasgow so the likes of Ritchies or Happy Hour would prob be my chosen learning school. Has anyone had any experience with these guys, any advice would be great. I’m also obviously concerned about geting a job without exeperience in the Glasgow area so I was wondering if anyone basically been in a similar situation?

Cheers
Gav

OctaveNine:
I’m seriously thinking about doing my cat C LGV license aquisition.

Hi Gav,

Please don’t think that I’m raining on your parade, but have you researched what’s entailed in acquiring a Cat “C” LGV licence?
You’ve rightly identified that inexperience might hamper you, but as for the situation in Glasgow, … I’m afraid I have no idea.

We do have some members from Glasgow though, so I hope they’ll be along soon with some advice and local knowledge for you. :smiley:

id recommend happy hour, i did my c+e with them and nothing but top notch from them. i did do my test in livingston but the same trainer does it in glasgow aswell.

Thanks for the reply, I know it’s gona cost a fair bit of money and each phase will require much studying/practice but I’m serious about it and really need to try and get an idea if puting myself through the potentially lengthy and expensive process will be worthwhile. I think it’s gona be a bit of a gamble obviously but as we sometimes say up here you’ve gota risk it for a biscuit.

How long ago was that Gogzy? How you finding things since passing? How did you get your first job?

OctaveNine:
How long ago was that Gogzy? How you finding things since passing? How did you get your first job?

was 2 years ago i did my c+e with them, since passing things have been ok, been on agency for about 4 years though. finally got my first permanent job. my problem was my age (22 when i passed) and lack of experience.

they are a good lot to get your C with, the instructor (think his names paul if i remember rightly) will get you through your test and will show you the easy ways to do things…aswell as making you on purpose to screw up and sort yourself out. he did this with me on my C+E and its come in very handy when ive been out.

How did you find working for an agency (what type of work you been doing)? How long after your C was it before you done your C+E?

Have my Cat C done it nearly 2 years ago but not in your area

have been working agency since feb not all driving & not all Cat C tbh but that dont bother me as the 2 have been on-going contracts there is work about if you not that fussy just to gain some experience & until the agency get to know what you like ect

My age dosent come into it but other things do :unamused:

My advice would be to call the providers in your area & go to visit them ask them to go through it all with you explaining what they can offer you like the medical “loan” of the dvd theory test questions also ask if you could poss sit in 1 of there vehicles just to see ( you wont be able to have an assessment drive as you wont have your provisional yet

OctaveNine:
How did you find working for an agency (what type of work you been doing)? How long after your C was it before you done your C+E?

well i was with 2 agencies, played them off each other to keep me busy and they had the good times (xmas) and bad times (after new year) i didnt really like it too much tbh but i needed to earn money and keep myself busy, i was usually sent to hte same people all the time so i knew the score etc which was handy

i waited a year from my class c (21) till my c+e (22) because when i did my c the company i got it through suggested i should wait till i was 25 to do my c+e, i wish i went straight for my c+e but glad i only waited a year and not till im 25…because im only 24 and have a european job as my first c+e job.

Cheers for the sounds advice guys, will defo take all into consideration. Whats the working hours and money been like for you guys? The job I’m in at the mo is only about 16-17k per year so I’d like to think I’d be able to make more than that even initially working for an agency?

I dont get that depends on the job & agency tbh also area & demand here were I am have had from £6.00 - £7.50 ph

ang

Yeh I supose area and job type etc varies resulting in the pay varying also. Anyone else from the glasgow area got advice/experience regarding typical starting salary when working for an agency (if lucky enough to get work with an agency after passing cat C test)?

I did my test in Kilmarnock with Jim Mair Driver Training, good place to do training as Kilmarnock has less test routes than Bishopbriggs and the roads are better and quieter (esp if u get a sat morn test :slight_smile: )

Can’t give you much advice on jobs as i still driving buses :frowning:

Good luck with it

OctaveNine:
Cheers for the sounds advice guys, will defo take all into consideration. Whats the working hours and money been like for you guys? The job I’m in at the mo is only about 16-17k per year so I’d like to think I’d be able to make more than that even initially working for an agency?

Gav, DO NOT leave a full time job to try agency driving.

There are loads of agencies in the west of Scotland (and UK wide) who will promise you the earth. That promise will be “5 to 6 days of constant work” particularly in the run up to Xmas.
Certainly up here in the Strathclyde/Lanarkshire area, that promise is a load of crap! It’s simply a ploy to get you registered with them. With most agencies the Recruitment Consultant you’re dealing with get’s a “sign on” bonus for every driver they register on their books.

And most agencies have three types of Class 1 & 2 drivers on their books;

1. The “full time agency driver” with many years experience doing a wide variety of work, who works exclusively for an agency and no one else. A driver like this is always available at short notice, to do any kind of job. This driver is at the top of the queue and will get the first call and rarely turns them down. For his “loyalty” this driver can expect at least 4-5 days work most weeks, when it’s busy. When it’s quiet his work will drop down to 3-4 days or less, but he’s still expected to be available all year round (and extremely flexible!).

2. The driver with at least 2-5 years (or more) experience who is “in between permanent driving jobs”. A driver like this is expected to be available at short notice. This driver will be promised at least 5 days a week, but unless it’s really busy he won’t get more than 2-4 days a week. Depending on his “loyalty” over a fair period of time, he can expect to get anything thrown at him at any time!
    If he starts turning them down they’ll soon stop phoning him - unless they’re absolutely desperate.

3. The “Newbie” with no experience or very little experience. Some agencies won’t sign them up at all depending on their age, but most will.
    After this driver is signed up he’ll be expected to take absolutely anything they give him - and a lot of the work will be vans and 7.5 tonners to Class 2, doing anything from a few drops to multi-drop (70+ a day). However, don’t expect 4 or 5 days a week every week, because it’s not going to happen (no matter what they promise you!). In fact, during the quiet periods, you’ll be lucky if you hear from any agencies - regardless of how many you’re signed up for - for weeks!
    You’re best staying in your full time job and doing weekend work to gain experience. And if by chance you get a shot at Class 2 work - go for it!

Not everything I’m saying above is set in stone. Some guys and girls get lucky with a particular agency and get more work than others - but agency work should never be viewed as a full time permanent job, because it’s not and never has been.

Twenty years ago - when I started out - in the Greater Glasgow and Lanarkshire area, there were quite literally only a handful of agencies. Two or three in particular were really good - and they were agencies “for drivers run by drivers” (or ex-drivers).
Now there are upwards of at least 40 to 50 agencies in Scotland alone - and most of them are cowboy outfits. Even the agencies with a good or reasonable reputation (half a dozen if you’re lucky!) are now completely “Client/Customer orientated” due to the severe business competition out there.
It’s the way of the world now and as usual the driver comes second most of the time.

It’s not all gloom and doom - and as has been said many times on here - look on your licence (if and when you get it) as an investment for the future…especially when we come out of this recession - although god knows when that will be!

If you go onto the JobCentrePlus site there’s quite a few pages of jobs for the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area, but 99% of them are “Temporary” agency work. As I’ve said above, trust me, they’re not worth leaving a full time job for! (unless you can afford to)

As regards to where you should do your training. Well I think Ritchies in Springburn are head and shoulders above the rest. Great kit, good premises and some excellent instructors. In fairness, I would say that, cause’ that’s where I got my artic licence - albeit that was back in 1990!

Best of luck.

OctaveNine:

stay where you are until you can leave for a proper full time job. seriously youll be lucky to get that driving right now. though it wouldnt harm you to get ur licence and sit on it for a couple of years, then ull have the “2 years experience” under your belt.

Hi there Gav
Welcome to the forum
Cant offer advice as to your area but what i will say is definatly make sure you go and see the training providers in person then you can get the feel of the trucks and what the instructors are like anyone with a good set up will make you feel good about them and the training they can give you as Animal says until you have your provisional you cant have an assesment drive , its free to apply so get it sent off and good luck

all the best

Jennie x

You have to understand that there are many more drivers than trucks at the moment and thats likely to continue for the forseeable future.Its going to cost you about £2000. to gain your C licence agency work pays about £7.00 per hour If you could get night shift work with Royal Mail you could get twice that ,but the jobs are very scarce.Have a look on here at the test routes and really practice on them.Dont want to burst your bubble but that is the way it is.

Guys I cant thank you enough for the advice, some really impressive replies to my initial message. I’m gona keep working away in my current job role and continue to seriously think about my career change options. Doing my PCV might be a better idea as I know First Group are looking for drivers? I just think I’d really enjoy some kind of driving job as aposed to sitting about on my arse in a office all day.

You could apply to the bus company see what they say as they may take you on & put you through it as I know they can & do that here

With some comp they take you on train you let you loose on the passenger bus routes before letting you on the long distant coaches

When you apply for your provisional licence tick the box marked D for buses AS well as C for trucks.I did that and have been on the buses for 10 years I get some agency work on the lorries during school holidays ,but the work is few and far between. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.