ADR - Is it worth getting?

I done multidrop for the last 2 1/2 yrs on class 2 licence. Been getting paid approx 30k pa. Is it worth going for ADR packages and will it increase my earnings. Ta

RobertSung:
I done multidrop for the last 2 1/2 yrs on class 2 licence. Been getting paid approx 30k pa. Is it worth going for ADR packages and will it increase my earnings. Ta

Lot of people doing it now for their DCPC hours. I did mine last year to try improve my wage, availability etc but can’t say I’ve used it and with guys doing it now for DCPC hours I think there’s gonna be more about. Doesn’t pay what it used to it seems. Just my thoughts, quite sure some of the others might have different ones, in saying that it’s always good to have options.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

ADR is an extra qualification which most employers would like you to have.In my experience as an employee or owner operator with an ADR for 30 years or so and countless courses I was never paid a cent extra.Also,you are putting yourself at potential risk at loading or unload points from some horrible substance or other.Ontop of that you’ll catch additional grief from the authorities if you are missing one of the million bits of paper you should have with you.If a boss pays for your course,I suppose it could be worthwhile but personally I wouldn’t bother.

Just did mine to get DCPC hours…

THEN I’m going to take it from there…

You can’t swan in to a firm that doesn’t require it and demand more money. However, if you’re doing something like containers it’ll bring in a few extra quid whenever you use it. If you’re going to sit in a classroom for your dcpc, you may as well do your adr and actually get something financially benificial out of it

12 quid extra a week to have it for me so thinking of doing mine this year, 21 hours dCPC left to do so may as well.

50 quid bonus for explosive boxes so as I’m quite fond of an explosive box it’s a no brainer.

Hmmm, me + explosives what could possibly go wrong…

Dipper_Dave:
12 quid extra a week to have it for me so thinking of doing mine this year, 21 hours dCPC left to do so may as well.

50 quid bonus for explosive boxes so as I’m quite fond of an explosive box it’s a no brainer.

Hmmm, me + explosives what could possibly go wrong…

If one of those goes off you’ll smell like Inspector Gadget in a fish factory.

Thanks for the replies gents, I’m booked on to a 5 day course next week. Adr core and tanks. Thought I might as well go for the tanks option as its only 100 quids more and something could crop up driving a rigid tanker which would make it worthwhile. I also start a new job the week after my course, so all is good.

RobertSung:
Thanks for the replies gents, I’m booked on to a 5 day course next week. Adr core and tanks. Thought I might as well go for the tanks option as its only 100 quids more and something could crop up driving a rigid tanker which would make it worthwhile. I also start a new job the week after my course, so all is good.

I suspect the CPC hours without tanks will only be 21 hours, apposed to 28 hours with the tanks bolt-on module.
The question of whether it’s worth it always brings mixed reviews, and I guess that comes down to the type of work you’re targeting…
For me it’s got me a quid extra limping on pallets, and as there’s a refinery on my doorstep, there’s plenty of ADR work about near me.

If you’re interested, here’s a write up of the course: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23162

If you’re not maxing out on hours then 30k is a good wage for class 2 depending on where you are in the country.
I drive a class 2 gas tanker for not much more then that, the days when tanker drivers were on good money are long gone.
I could probably earn more going back on the artics but then I would be maxing hours out, nights out etc, not me thanks.

If there’s a high demand for adr where you live then I would take the full adr course when the dcpc needs renewing.

I’ve done work at 3 different places doing ADR now and then, they want you but don’t always want to pay extra for it, it all ended at freightliner where they where paying extra on haz boxes until 1 week they didn’t, following week refused to do them, that was the end of the end of my ADR career 15 years ago.
Last employer offered to pay for it again but told there was no extra money so refused his kind offer.

RobertSung:

So you asked a question when you clearly already had the course booked. And the point of that was…?

TiredAndEmotional:

RobertSung:

So you asked a question when you clearly already had the course booked. And the point of that was…?

Why would I do that:? I asked the question before I was booked onto the course. Booked the course this morning.

RobertSung:

TiredAndEmotional:

RobertSung:

Why would I do that:? I asked the question before I was booked onto the course. Booked the course this morning.

ADR courses in my experience had to booked several weeks in advance to ensure a place. I’d say you were quite lucky to be able to book your course on Saturday morning to start Monday… :slight_smile:

TiredAndEmotional:
ADR courses in my experience had to booked several weeks in advance to ensure a place.

Quite true… if a person wanted to ensure a place, then advance booking is the way to go.

Even after forward planning, I’ve known people still end up disappointed, especially if one company has block-booked well in advance.

TiredAndEmotional:
I’d say you were quite lucky to be able to book your course on Saturday morning to start Monday… :slight_smile:

I agree with you there too, but it’s fair to say that just about every ADR course I’ve ever taught has had a hastily pencilled name at the bottom of the register because of a last minute booking.

dieseldave:

TiredAndEmotional:
ADR courses in my experience had to booked several weeks in advance to ensure a place.

Quite true… if a person wanted to ensure a place, then advance booking is the way to go.

Even after forward planning, I’ve known people still end up disappointed, especially if one company has block-booked well in advance.

TiredAndEmotional:
I’d say you were quite lucky to be able to book your course on Saturday morning to start Monday… :slight_smile:

I agree with you there too, but it’s fair to say that just about every ADR course I’ve ever taught has had a hastily pencilled name at the bottom of the register because of a last minute booking.

Just a quick clean question Dave.

How long does it take to get your card once/if you pass. ?

Dipper_Dave:

dieseldave:

TiredAndEmotional:

TiredAndEmotional:

I got mine in about 10 days, think that was pretty quick.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Dipper_Dave:

dieseldave:

TiredAndEmotional:

TiredAndEmotional:

Hi Dave,

It just depends whether you’re doing the online exams or not.

After online exams, you get your results the same day, then your card usually arrives as EddieMD says, OR…

… if you do the paper-based exams, you’ll get your card up to five weeks after taking the exams.

:bulb: It’s a very pertinent question to ask at the time of choosing your provider but BEFORE making the booking if there’s any urgency to getting your ADR card because not all providers offer the online exams.

Thanks Dave and Eddie,
I shall bear this in mind.
My companies looking at doing a course so have asked for my name to be put down, probably be the usual we will pay but if you leave in a couple of years some has to be paid back jobby.

Whats renewed my interest was a UN3166 class 9 load, the other day, usual story cars in a container no need for stickers for road etc. But the site gave me DG notes to sign which set the alarm bells off, to cut a long story short I refused to travel with it or sign any DG notes and swapped with another driver who ironically was also loading cars but no DG notes or stickers.

Weird one as all the research I did including topics on here pointed to this being ok just seeing the DG note threw me.

Dipper_Dave:
Whats renewed my interest was a UN3166 class 9 load, the other day, usual story cars in a container no need for stickers for road etc.

Let me help you here Dave… :wink:

The “stickers” are called placards, so now I’ve already saved you dropping a mark in your exam. :grimacing:

You rightly said that there’s no need for them by road too, so we’re ok so far!!

Dipper_Dave:
But the site gave me DG notes to sign which set the alarm bells off, to cut a long story short I refused to travel with it or sign any DG notes and swapped with another driver who ironically was also loading cars but no DG notes or stickers.

Weird one as all the research I did including topics on here pointed to this being ok just seeing the DG note threw me.

You didn’t say what the rest of the journey involves, but since you said “container” I’ll guess that it will travel by rail/sea as well as road when you consider the overall journey from consignor to consignee.

Everything that is legally counted as dangerous is given a UN number (four digits) by the United Nations.

On paperwork, the law says that the UN number must be preceded by the letters “UN” which is their way of letting you know that it’s something dangerous and thereby saving you from thinking that you’ve just been given some bird’s phone number for a hot date. :wink:

See how the UN looks after you?? :smiley:

Each mode of transport (think… trucks, trains, boats and planes) has to have a set of Regs to govern that mode of carriage, so as you know… road is governed by ADR.

The names of the Regs that you might not know, but which you’d need to learn for your ADR exams are:

RID governs rail transport
ICAO/IATA governs air transport
IMDG governs sea transport

As you rightly said, nothing needed by road in this case, but the journey was multi-modal, so a multi-modal DGN was needed simply because of the requirements of one of the other sets of Regs, which has no outcome for you as a truck driver. (By road.)

There was absolutely no problem for you to have signed that DGN, but only EVER sign them where it says “driver’s signature” and NOWHERE else.

To prove the need for those sets of Regs to be a bit different (to suit the mode of carriage,) consider how many times you’ve seen a sailor hanging over the back of his ship trying to get his orange plate to display correctly to show that the ship is carrying dangerous goods??

When it gets to the part about stacking containers, the sea regs allow this, but I defy anybody to say they’ve seen a stack of containers on a truck on the road in the UK. :grimacing:

Sometimes, there are differences in the paperwork too!! :smiley:

:bulb: This has been Dave’s Saturday night ADR takeaway brought to you by the nice people at the UN. :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: