A75 to Stranraer

Ain’t been up that way for about 10 years and then only as far west as Dumfries. Seem to remember it as strict 40mph road enforcement wise, so is it still the same and also is there any decent parking around Stranrear docks or nearby. Thanks in advance.

Still strict 40 mph , watch out for the police hiding in the bushes , best thing to do is get in the middle of a bunch and just go with it. :smiley: :smiley:

Watch out between Gretna and Dumfries. There are a few traffic cops who don’t mess about!!!

Yeah they dont mess about anything over 46mph and chances are will be getting done with it, on top of that stoping you for speeding will give them the excuses to go right through your truck and your cab.

I got pulled and they had VOSA on tow with them, nice 1hr sitting at the side of the road whilst the dashboard got taken apart.

Maybe i was unlucky who i got pulled by, but the police were right in my face the whole time, and was glad the guy from VOSA was there because he was decent.

Had to cover my mouth to stop me bursting out laughing when the young copper says to the VOSA guy all excited “look at that fuse box there is a bolt missing from the casing someone has been in at it”, the VOSA guy replies “i think its fair to assume with a 10 year old truck at some point someone has had to open the fuse box to change a fuse”

voso and police often do random checks on dumfries byepass usualy set up before 9am

yep police and vosa are very keen from gretna all the way to stranraer. hot spots are gretna to dumfries, dumfries bypass,big layby before castle douglas. and just when you think you,ve made it to stranraer there is a vosa weighbridge/checkpoint at castle kennedy. hope you hav,nt got a truck with irish plates.so be carefull because they are always on that road(or side road) almost 24/7

Thanks for all the tips, A75 safely negotiated and a pleasant night parked on the seafront with a couple of drinks and a chinese to see out the evening. Must say I can see why the Irish lads are a target though, overtaking on double white lines is not my idea of avoiding a pull. Must have happened to me about 5 or 6 times and I was doing about 43 or 44mph. Cheers booty4099.

i go to Dumfries several times a week & not seen any police or vosa

but the new check point on the M74 just before Gretna services has been open

Do no more than 38 mph along there, otherwise the Irish lads will flash their lights and blast the horn if you do 40, they must think 40 is too fast and unsafe. :wink:

Obviously I was driving like a maniac!

booty4099:
Obviously I was driving like a maniac!

Id say you were lucky to not be shoved into the nearest field… :smiley:

yeehaa…

Fuelled up at either a chippy at the Stranraer or Gretna end, that road is great in the car - but haven’t done it getting paid. It’s nice to stop by the River Nith in Dumfies for intermediate chips too.

Night time seemed safest because of oncoming headlights give a clue of hazards at the millions of bends - although I often had one of Fergus’s Fusiliers breathing on my tail even at the car max limit on the SLC bits. (Top tip fellas: it aint sociable & we know how hard you are without the continual reminders)

The big car seems to target a lot of local boys as well as the Irish. Do they know what they are looking for■■?

As posted previously dumfries an galloway police ,
will pull you bodily out youre cab,
truckers are the only action these freaks get.
the mere thought of getting there note book out sends them into spasms,
if handcuffs are required its an automatic promotion,
runts.

I used to drive a pantechnicon from London to Stranraer in the early seventies, used to dread being on the A75 when the ferry arrived.

There was a firm called Porters of Derby who ran grey and purple Seddons, normally saw one of them in the adjoining fields. The Irish were absolute lunatics. When they passed you your mirrors went with them. At that time the only length of straight road was at Castle Douglas. The worst bit was Glenluce.

Very rarely saw the police in those days.

Happy Keith:
…although I often had one of Fergus’s Fusiliers breathing on my tail even at the car max limit on the SLC bits. (Top tip fellas: it aint sociable & we know how hard you are without the continual reminders)

Yep, I’ve had similar experiences - Not nice at 2am :frowning:

Frustrations causes accidents, so easiest thing s when you see some nut job n yer tail pull over and let him by… Simple as… 75 will never change, no matter how many police and/or Vosa patrol it. If the boys need down the road or are running for a boat its flat to the mat yeehaa…

animal:

thats exactly what they,re like just when you think its safe they come from nowhere. they are sneaky, sneaky, sneaky and in fact it would,nt surprise me if they are reading these posts, so you are a cert for a pull next week :smiley: :wink: :wink:

weewulliewinkie:

animal:

thats exactly what they,re like just when you think its safe they come from nowhere. they are sneaky, sneaky, sneaky and in fact it would,nt surprise me if they are reading these posts, so you are a cert for a pull next week :smiley: :wink: :wink:

poss not as im paid by the hr i tend to do the speed limit or there abouts but do let others pass if they want