A Wanna Be looking for help and advice :)

Well first of all…

Hi Trucknet :slight_smile:

My name is will but most people call me Shad or Shaddy this came from my time of the Railway with a big beard and un brushed hair so they nicknamed me Shadrach from the TV Show Emmerdale over the past few years it has got shorter to what it is today :slight_smile:

anyway onto the more important thinks in life…

TRUCKS!

well yes i am a Wanna Be and that is why i am here today to ask for your help and advice on things i do not yet understand fully and i am sure you will correct me many times when i am incorrect :slight_smile:

First thing… Medical

I suffer with severe Flat fleet my physio says i walk and stand like “Charlie Chaplin” also says I have the flattest feet of a police man she has ever seen and I am not even a police officer hehe in turn this give me knee problems she says I have a floppy knee cap, The cap does not run in its grove correctly causing pain all that with a family history of Arthritis I dare suspect that will be there next diagnosis so yes I am not even much good for spares or repairs at this time hehe

So with all that in mind going back to the railway for long cold winter night on 12 hours shifts does not look at good as it used to be and as the old saying goes if you love your job you never work a day in your life. Well I guess I never did any work :slight_smile: I did love the job and my second passion has always been trucks

anyway going a bit off topic there will all that in mind would it effect me on a medical and what else is on the medical?

Next the bad things

6 Points added to license in early 09 for Driving not within accordance with license and no insurance (or however DVLA word that one) I was driving home from a driving test alone as I was let down last minute and did not want to lose my test fee lost a lot more though :frowning:

So how is that going to effect me in trucking?

Funding…

Now I no you guys will hear a lot of this one and most likely tell me to go win the lotto but I am after practical ways to fund my license I am unemployed and have already checked with employment services for funding and got nowhere :frowning: I have looked for grants etc even 0% interest unemployed loans and getting nowhere fast little bit of a poor credit so normal loans may not go far so any other advice for funding (donations always welcome)

Well I think that’s it for now think them few questions cover the critical stuff and see where I go from there

thanx all

Shaddy

There’s good news and bad news!
Well I don’t think you’ll have any problem with your age, or the medical, that’s the good news. The bad news is the points won’t help at all and however long you’ve held a driving licence is irrelevant. In this game most employers are looking for two years experience with LGV. So with the points and no experience it will reduce the number of opportunities open to you, not impossible though. Financially, you don’t seem to be able to progress this idea either. My suggestion would be to try and get any job to put the cash together for your LGV training but it would be handy to get started on a firm who run LGVs as a van driver/7.5 driver with a view to moving up. A bonus would be getting your LGV with the firm paying!

44 Tonne Ton:
Well I don’t think you’ll have any problem with your age, or the medical, that’s the good news. The bad news is the points won’t help at all and however long you’ve held a driving licence is irrelevant. In this game most employers are looking for two years experience with LGV. So with the points and no experience it will reduce the number of opportunities open to you, not impossible though. Financially, you don’t seem to be able to progress this idea either. My suggestion would be to try and get any job to put the cash together for your LGV training but it would be handy to get started on a firm who run LGVs as a van driver/7.5 driver with a view to moving up. A bonus would be getting your LGV with the firm paying!

Yay loads of good news in that post hehe

Thanx for your honist reply tho

1 thing i find funny is most want 2year exp but how do you get the exp if they dont employ you hehe but you find that with alot of industry these days

Shaddaz:

44 Tonne Ton:

Yay loads of good news in that post hehe

Thanx for your honist reply tho

1 thing i find funny is most want 2year exp but how do you get the exp if they dont employ you hehe but you find that with alot of industry these days

Welcome Shaddaz

There is still hope though.

I have 8 points for driving with no insurance and the agency have given me runs in 7.5t and class 2. Ok they haven’t been everyones cup of tea … but it’s all counting towards 2 years experience.

And the 2 years experience is usually stipulated by the companies insurance, not the company themselves. From what I know of a few people who have been offered driving as newbies - they will offer you a conditional place subject to insurance clearance.

Good luck getting your funds together. I self funded my training but it was worth every penny :smiley:

Dean

Thx dean

Agency are hard work :frowning: 4 kids to deal with so i need regular income and if they work like regular agencies then i am screwed for that :frowning: but i can look more into that aspect after i get some licenses :slight_smile:

I think i might try pestering local companies with CV and covering letter giving them info about what i would like a weekly email should show willing enough and maybe get one of them to “bite” and offer me something that i can use if that fails i will send 2 emails a week :grimacing:

i guess if nothing else it will keep the Jobcentre happy while i look for work and try to find funding for doing my class2/1 myself :slight_smile:

but thanx guys for your replies it has given me some things to think about

[EDIT]

A covering letter i just put together quick for the above idea it is a work in progress feel free to edit and make suggestions to add to it

Dear Sir/Madam

I am looking for a company willing to consider me for LGV Class 2 and Class 1 driving any prospective company would be willing to assist me in gaining my licenses and other relevant items before commencing full time employment via some form of mutually agreed contract of employment.
I would also consider other driving work with the prospective of gaining my LGV License over time with your company.
My current License is for car only and I was given 6 points in early 09 I hope these will not be an issue for your company.
I am a keen learner always willing to expand my knowledge within employment and personal aspects of life and sincerely hope your company will he willing to help me expand my knowledge further.

I attach a copy for my CV for your viewing and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

{Name and Address}

i self funded my c and c+e 2k in total as the job centre would not help me as i was not lazy enough (ie not worked for over a year or was not of uk resident) got a job within 1 week of passing c+e and a month on its paid for its self, ignore every one else if you want to do it then do it :smiley: :smiley: but advise for you job centre has no funding

Welcome to the forums

As has been said you shouldnt have any probs with the medical

But the funding as this government have taken it all away & not replaced it with anything then that is out of the question so best is to self fund I am afraid

As you can imagine there are a lot of experienced drivers out there although not impossible to gain work may be a little harder with those points

Unfortunately agency can be a little hit/miss unless you can get an " ongoing contract " yes these do exist not many but

Most agency want at least 6 mth proven experience ( or here they do now )

Dear Sir/Madam

I am looking for a company willing to consider me for LGV Class 2 and Class 1 driving any prospective company would be willing to assist me in gaining my licenses and other relevant items before commencing full time employment via some form of mutually agreed contract of employment.

I would also consider other driving work with the prospective of gaining my LGV License over time with your company.
My current License is for car only and I was given 6 points in early 09 I hope these will not be an issue for your company.
I am a keen learner always willing to expand my knowledge within employment and personal aspects of life and sincerely hope your company will he willing to help me expand my knowledge further.

I attach a copy for my CV for your viewing and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

{Name and Address}

Hi. I like the sound of you and your attitude so I’ve spent a little bit of time tidying up your letter. You could try this:

Dear Sir/Madam, (see note below - you really want a name in here)

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and CV. I have written you you as I know you to be a forward thinking, reliable and reputable truck operator.

I am looking for employment leading to LGV Class 2 and Class 1 driving. I need driving work on small vans with your Company with the prospect of gaining my LGV Licence over time. Any other work related to driving would be most welcome e.g loading, shunting, warehousing. Not only will this provide the opportunity to prove my worth to your Company but it will expand my industry knowledge. I am aware that there is a substantial cost implication in completing the training and I would like to negotiate a Contract of Employment that takes this into consideration as I am currently unable to fund the training by conventional means.

I am a keen learner, always willing to expand my knowledge within employment and sincerely hope your company will be willing to help me achieve my goals.

As mentioned previously, I have attached a copy for my CV for your attention; I wil contact you within a few days for your feedback.

Kind regards,

{Name and Address}

Just a couple of bits. An approach by email is almost certainly doomed to failure. Phone the company, find out the name and position of the person who can deal with your request. Write to the person directly, using their title (eg Transport Manager). The follow up should be by phone. You need the letter to arrive on Monday and the follow up call to be on late Wednesday/early Thursday. Avoid Fridays like the plague. Take care always to word letters and conversations reasonably correctly. Always be polite without creeping. If invited to attend for an interview, turn up 10 minutes early. Make sure you and your clothing are clean - you certainly don’t need to wear a suit and tie! But be smart and workmanlike. Remember that the driver is sometimes the only person the customer actually meets during the transaction. It has been known for work to immediately follow the “chat” so make sure you’re prepared to go.

When I was a haulier I had a similar approach from someone. They were invited to come in for a chat. Sadly, they forgot to shave and the boots looked as if they hadn’t seen polish - ever! Sorry, no job.

There are other ways of approaching the Company but this is the one I know works.

I really hope you get somewhere with this and if there’s anything I can do to help just let me know. Pete :laughing:

Hi I self funded my class c after being made redundant my c+e is being funded by the job centre there is funding out but only in spefic areas it seems

Shaddaz:
Well first of all…

Hi Trucknet :slight_smile:

My name is will but most people call me Shad or Shaddy this came from my time of the Railway with a big beard and un brushed hair so they nicknamed me Shadrach from the TV Show Emmerdale over the past few years it has got shorter to what it is today :slight_smile:

anyway onto the more important thinks in life…

TRUCKS!
hi shads i am a transport mgr for a german cataloge printing company we are looking to take on new bes drivers we will pay for everything but you will be under contract so if you leave within 2 yrs you will have to pay back hgv fees we do european work we are based in suffolk we will put you in a b.b while training send me a cv at spanishvan@yahoo.co.uk

well yes i am a Wanna Be and that is why i am here today to ask for your help and advice on things i do not yet understand fully and i am sure you will correct me many times when i am incorrect :slight_smile:

First thing… Medical

I suffer with severe Flat fleet my physio says i walk and stand like “Charlie Chaplin” also says I have the flattest feet of a police man she has ever seen and I am not even a police officer hehe in turn this give me knee problems she says I have a floppy knee cap, The cap does not run in its grove correctly causing pain all that with a family history of Arthritis I dare suspect that will be there next diagnosis so yes I am not even much good for spares or repairs at this time hehe

So with all that in mind going back to the railway for long cold winter night on 12 hours shifts does not look at good as it used to be and as the old saying goes if you love your job you never work a day in your life. Well I guess I never did any work :slight_smile: I did love the job and my second passion has always been trucks

anyway going a bit off topic there will all that in mind would it effect me on a medical and what else is on the medical?

Next the bad things

6 Points added to license in early 09 for Driving not within accordance with license and no insurance (or however DVLA word that one) I was driving home from a driving test alone as I was let down last minute and did not want to lose my test fee lost a lot more though :frowning:

So how is that going to effect me in trucking?

Funding…

Now I no you guys will hear a lot of this one and most likely tell me to go win the lotto but I am after practical ways to fund my license I am unemployed and have already checked with employment services for funding and got nowhere :frowning: I have looked for grants etc even 0% interest unemployed loans and getting nowhere fast little bit of a poor credit so normal loans may not go far so any other advice for funding (donations always welcome)

Well I think that’s it for now think them few questions cover the critical stuff and see where I go from there

thanx all

Shaddy

daverandall:
Hi I self funded my class c after being made redundant my c+e is being funded by the job centre there is funding out but only in spefic areas it seems

I have been to my local job centre to see about funding and the reply was there is none available. So I’ve managed to find funds elswhere to get the Class C (test on 19th May) with a view to obtaining the Class C+E afterwards. Somewhat focused on the whole thing, wife thinks I’ve lost the plot, hey ho. :grimacing:

It does apear to be quite tuff out their in the job market. Spent all my previous life in Construction, the last 8 years in management but things are quite bad to say the least. So am having a change of direction as I’ve always facied doing it. So why not, at least it will give me a couple more strings to my bow for future job hunting.

Peter Smythe:

Dear Sir/Madam

Kind regards,

{Name and Address}

Hi. I like the sound of you and your attitude so I’ve spent a little bit of time tidying up your letter. You could try this:

Dear Sir/Madam, (see note below - you really want a name in here)

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and CV. I have written you you as I know you to be a forward thinking, reliable and reputable truck operator.

I am looking for employment leading to LGV Class 2 and Class 1 driving. I need driving work on small vans with your Company with the prospect of gaining my LGV Licence over time. Any other work related to driving would be most welcome e.g loading, shunting, warehousing. Not only will this provide the opportunity to prove my worth to your Company but it will expand my industry knowledge. I am aware that there is a substantial cost implication in completing the training and I would like to negotiate a Contract of Employment that takes this into consideration as I am currently unable to fund the training by conventional means.

I am a keen learner, always willing to expand my knowledge within employment and sincerely hope your company will be willing to help me achieve my goals.

As mentioned previously, I have attached a copy for my CV for your attention; I wil contact you within a few days for your feedback.

Kind regards,

{Name and Address}

Just a couple of bits. An approach by email is almost certainly doomed to failure. Phone the company, find out the name and position of the person who can deal with your request. Write to the person directly, using their title (eg Transport Manager). The follow up should be by phone. You need the letter to arrive on Monday and the follow up call to be on late Wednesday/early Thursday. Avoid Fridays like the plague. Take care always to word letters and conversations reasonably correctly. Always be polite without creeping. If invited to attend for an interview, turn up 10 minutes early. Make sure you and your clothing are clean - you certainly don’t need to wear a suit and tie! But be smart and workmanlike. Remember that the driver is sometimes the only person the customer actually meets during the transaction. It has been known for work to immediately follow the “chat” so make sure you’re prepared to go.

When I was a haulier I had a similar approach from someone. They were invited to come in for a chat. Sadly, they forgot to shave and the boots looked as if they hadn’t seen polish - ever! Sorry, no job.

There are other ways of approaching the Company but this is the one I know works.

I really hope you get somewhere with this and if there’s anything I can do to help just let me know. Pete :laughing:

Some good comments and tips there thanx guys

Thank you Pete for the rewrite of my letter that does look good and practical i did show interest in your company the other week seeing is there was away of doing my LGV in more “bite size chunks” and thankyou for the reply but was still abit of a push for the 2 hour sessions with claiming JSA but lets hope the lotto favours me this week hehe

thanx
Shad

However you do it Good Luck, but leave out those annoying 'hehe’s

Ray is right, hehe! :grimacing:

just for Ray

hehe
hehe
hehe
hehe

if you want more ray let me no i am sure i can fill ya PM box full of them :grimacing:

Nex tthing is to actually buy a truck. Look at the used truck websites - many don’t have prices, however! Try http://www.trucklocator.co.uk