A little hope for newbies

Hey guys and girls Having read the youngest thread about who is in there twentys i thought id tell you my little story.

Well as like alot of new drivers i started out young and ambious and I got my Hgv licences when i was 20 and then went out searching Jobs driving around Europe.

I wanted to be a lorry driver when i was a kid having grown up in Europe and seein trucks from every country drive past made me wonder where they were goin too and coming from.

Anyways i put this dream to the side and thought i had better attempt Uni as its what everyone else was doing so i should too knowing i really didnt want too. Needless to say i only lasted the 4 most important months in uni and that was from sept-xmas when all u do is party.

After that i took a mini gap year to consider what i wanted to do and when ever asked i said " i wanna be a lorry driver". So 1 day my parents sat me down havin had enough of me been a bum on the sofa and said if i wanted to drive a truck they would put me true it as long as i organised everything. So off i went like a man on a misson and had everything booked up for the next week but the only thing was i had to get from Belgium to Ireland to do all my lessons and test.

Kinda a big obstical but managed to get around that and went to ireland to learn to be a really lorry driver. Looking at the truck i wondered what the hell i got my self into as it was a scania 94d 40ft rigid but once behind the wheel and settling down i got into the swing of things and loved it all. Up came test day and i managed to pass 1st time very amped with my self i set off job hunting…

Well 1st place i looked was all over ireland and i had no luck cause of my age and no1 was willing to take me on or give me the chance, Same with belgium so i said well hey england is only across the water lets try there.

I applied to over 100companys here with no luck until one called me and said they were looking for a driver and would i come over for an interview, So went on the monday and found out the company did removals and was totally honest with the boss saying id jst past no experiance in removals or driving and he said since i was so dedicated to come over and have the interview i could have the job.

I’d moved over to this scary place on my own by the friday and started to work on the monday. They showed me all the ropes and started off on a 7.5tonner and eventually worked my way up to the 40footers just before my class 1 test.

When i did my class 1 i went back to ireland again and took the test in a volvo fh12 with a double deck trailer totaly lenght been 60ft and me KAKING it once again but i got through it and managed to pass that 1st time too.

Now instead of leavin my old job i stuck it out for another year to get my 2yrs experiance in then hunted again. Well it turns out jst cause you have 2yrs experiance that dont matter cause your still under 25 and cant get insurance. Well i eventually got me another job doin removals still but this time i was promised european and Class 1 work.

True to there word i have been sent out with the drag on the truck a few times and over to europe alot and am one of the main euro drivers now for the depo and loving what i do at 23 yrs of age…

Sorry for my long ramble but there is a moral to this story and it is… Guys never give up on your hopes and dreams
Eventually some1 will take you on and take that risk with you. I wasnt picky about jobs cause driving is driving. Just go in with you head screwed on and you will eventually get your big break and have a job.

I hope this gives people hope. .thanks for reading

That was a nice read :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

could of gone on for a lot longer but needed to use the bathroom lol

any jobs going at your place :slight_smile:

Probley is mate lol give them a call and ask… we have depos all over the country… doin removals if you dont mind that to get your foot in the door

whats your company called?

ill pm you

see its all and good when you find a job, but up here ins cotland its not easy theres al ack of jobs and too many drivers so when one job comes along 50+ folk apply and those with no experience dnt even get a second glance.

same with the agencies i get nothing now that there is a wealth of experienced drivers joining them even though i have been good to them and done whatever they ask of me with no fuss.

though i would love to do euro work, any depots in scotland?

no depos in scotland mate but White and Co Removals have depos up there and their boys r always abroad or doing tramping runs across England…

Good to read of someone living their dream. Good luck to you now and in the future.

The key thing I picked up from this is that acceptme went to where the work was he didn’t sit back waiting for it to come to him. If there is none in your area…move to an area where there is some. Granted not everyone can do this, but his story does go to show that it is not all doom and gloom…no matter how much the “old timers” try to tell us newbies that it is. :wink:

you hit the nail on the head trancer. i even changed countrys just to get a job. Big steps but lifes an adventure