7 1/2 tonners in outside lane

whats the crack not many adhering to new law

Agreed. I reckon 90% of them don’t even know there are new regs for them

It comes down to whether the vehicle is restricted.

If it’s not (Pre 2000) then it can still go in the outside lane.

Post 2000 it’s probably restricted and therefore stay out. However, I think you’re right. They don’t know or don’t care. :unamused: :unamused:

from highway code site

239: The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

any vehicle drawing a trailer
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight over 7.5 tonnes
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver.
Laws MT(E&W)R reg 12 & MT(S)R reg 11

but also i see a lot of cars (or usually 4x4s and vans) with trailers in third lane recently

i was doing a job over xmas & the company had a letter on their notice board telling there 7.5tonne drivers that they could not use the 3rd lane of the motorway in the newyear(i cant remember the date), that was the 1st i heard of it coming into force :blush: .

As of 1 st Jan this yr the new law came into force that 7.5 t cant use 3rd lane of a motoway they are also restricted to 56 mph

But this is only for the new registered ones

animal:
As of 1 st Jan this yr the new law came into force that 7.5 t cant use 3rd lane of a motoway they are also restricted to 56 mph

But this is only for the new registered ones

Yep, so all “restricted” vehicles have been banned from the O/S lane. We too have had a memo about this, but so far only one of our trucks is post 2000 (51 plate) and that is still unrestricted.

But then, it’s not a goods vehicle :smiley: And it can still shift :smiley: :smiley:

I get to drive a 7.5 tonne sometimes and it was first registered october 2001.

A month later and it would have had to have a limiter fitted and yes i am allowed to use the 3rd lane on a motorway.

Guess that the post office won’t be getting any new 7.5 tonners then ■■?

I am 99% sure that they use jet engines on theirs !!!

G

Gazzareth:

I am 99% sure that they use jet engines on theirs !!! G

Yes, ISTR doing a 4.5hr drive up to ■■■■■■■ to do a 7.5t swap. They expected 70mph the entire time up the M6 and the same back. If you didn’t then you’d run out of time.

Gazzareth:

I am 99% sure that they use jet engines on theirs !!!

G

As a serving Royal Mail driver I have to report that the new laws are slowly catching up with us. It might take a while but soon our jet engines will be limited too :cry: lol

andy187:
but also i see a lot of cars (or usually 4x4s and vans) with trailers in third lane recently

when did they last read the highway code? how many know that with a trailer, they are neither allowed in the outside lane or allowed to travel above 60 on the motorway? :unamused:

scanny77:

andy187:

when did they last read the highway code? how many know that with a trailer, they are neither allowed in the outside lane or allowed to travel above 60 on the motorway? :unamused:

how many car drivers care about whats in the highway code??
As soon as they pass the test everything their taught and have learnt goes out the window with the L plates…I know this coz i was the same …Thats why it was such an eye opener when i started my class 2 training… In the first day i went from thinking i knew it all (I’d been a 7.5 tonne driver for 8 years) to realising i new naff all…A bit of a shock to say the least

We have a man 05 plate which is restricted as is the daf 05

although the 2 man 51 plates arent

the 07 iveco daily curtian sider with sleeper pod on is not as it is under 3.5t