6 or 8 legger running costs,differ much?

Are the running costs of say an 6 wheel tipper / grab and an 8 wheel tipper /grab a world apart or not?

Would the bigger engine of the 8 legger be very much more on diesel over the 6?

I know youve got an extra axle and more tyres etc but

still trying to get my head round this 8 or 6 wheeler thing?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages i know ," Horses for Courses " etc.

Good time to buy ( or is it,phone dont ring like it used to) but there are loads more 8 wheelers for sale than 6?

Gratefull for any info at all guys.

Tricky dicky

Tricky Dicky:
Are the running costs of say an 6 wheel tipper / grab and an 8 wheel tipper /grab a world apart or not?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages i know ," Horses for Courses " etc.

Good time to buy ( or is it,phone dont ring like it used to) but there are loads more 8 wheelers for sale than 6?

Tricky dicky

hmmmm strokes chin slowly this topic looks familiar… :confused: :confused: sure there was a topic/discussion about this very thing not toooooooo long ago if you do a seach, could be wrong but this topic just seems vaguely famililar… :smiley: :smiley:

Tricky have a look here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47919

Tricky Dicky:

Tricky dicky

Its really really simple. How much weight you want to carry dictates what you buy. A bigger engine is likely to be more economical. Certainly on artics, the 380BHP Volvo FM12’s we had absolutely walloped through fuel compared to the 460’s when running at 40 tonnes.

Road fund license difference, usual extra axle, plus tyres, brakes and more bushes to wear out…

It really is down to what the job entails, small places then a 6 wheeler etc, if you are paid by weight then an 8 legger if access is not a problem…

Both have plus and minus points, tailor the truck to your job/contract…

Fuel usage is less whether it’s a 6 or 8 wheeler and more about whether the engine is up to the job.

I did have a spell on a 310hp 8 wheeler which couldn’t pull a greasy man out of a bath, there’s a company round here running some 290’s too. Good job Essex is not very hilly. Small engines like these in an 8 wheeler are going too to get a good thrashing as they are more in the 6 wheeler mark, ideally for an 8 wheeler you want a 380 or 420 engine. We’ve got a pair of 6 wheeled beavertails, one has a 340 engine which is fair and mine has a 420 which is amazing. Very frugal and pulls like a train too, If I’m ever in the position to spec a motor myself I know I’d be choosing a big engine as it makes a lot of sense. Come resale it’s going to be easier to sell a big engined truck than one with a weedy engine.

Just one other thing that has sprung to mind as I know you’re involed with plant, there’s a number of civil engineering / groundworks companies with 6 wheel tippers / grabs with drawbar trailers behind. With a triaxle beavertail trailer from Andover or Cheiftain behind the tipper you’ve just added a lowloader to move your machines with, should be able to move a 140 about no bother.