6 wheel tipper

Do people still run 6 wheeler tipper now apart from tarmac. Even the grab lorries seem to be 8 wheeler now, just never seem to see them now.

6 wheel doesn’t really make sense any more. Running costs are about the same. The only reason to before was on the old tax rates where road tax was a lot cheaper.

My memory of a 6 wheeler was it tore the ground up turning tightly, which is I guess because they sent it in the tight places. Sand for building sites but it’s all pre mix stuff now.

Conor:
6 wheel doesn’t really make sense any more. Running costs are about the same

Don’t think it ever really made sense.To the point where the rigid 8 wheeler made a credible job of being the default backbone of the whole transport industry at one time.
NZ at least then ran with the idea to great success.Want more just couple a trailer to it given sensible legislation.

Ok it might need an extra shunt or two to go where a 6 wheeler will go.

The driver has to be paid the same money but for a lot less payload. I enjoyed driving an old one on tar work.

Yep. if not most places have a 4 wheel tipper.

I haven’t done tipper work in a long time but most places keep one around for specific jobs.
i.e weight limits / bridges / residental work etc.

Drove a 6 wheeler on quarry work it had a rock body could only carry 15 ton compared to the alu bodied could take 17 ton they still tried to put 17 ton on me and tipped off regularly.on one occasion weighed in at 31 ton :open_mouth: drove back of weighbridge tipped and told them 15 ton max left not long after cheers Ray

maybe not so for tippers but the six wheeler still has its place in some areas. For instance, we do large light loads into the tightest of places. Until recently all our rigids were 4 wheelers. Now we have found the six wheeler with a rear steer tag axle is the best for stability with a huge overhang and manoeuvrability. Mine has a 32ft bed with a sleeper cab and will match the smallest 4 wheeler lorry having a 28ft bed and a shorter day cab, including a few sites we deliver to that another 4 wheeler can’t even get into when it’s empty.

Some quarries now pay 20 tonnes as standard for the modern heavy 8 wheeler that carries 18 tonnes or the older light 6 wheeler that carries 17 tonnes ,there are still plenty of 6 wheeler access only jobs .

Smiths of Bletchington still run a fair few 6 wheel tippers out of their quarries.

The tridem did away with 6-wheelers in the bulk feeds business, though they were on their way out after the advent of lift-axle 8-wheelers.

Farmers have also had to improve access due to agricultural machinery in general getting bigger and hauliers (rightly) demanding a premium for using the smaller vehicle. Another factor is the decline of the smaller dairy farms, as they tend to be much bigger operations now. When I first started 15 years ago there were still a few milking thirty or so cows, now 100 is considered a small herd.

We haven’t had a 6-legger blower on our fleet for about ten years now.