Help Please/ Purchasing a 6x4 26 ton Grab Lorry!

Hi There.

Newbie 1st post, want to ask some questions to you experienced Drivers / Owners out there.

Been in the Plant game for well over 30 yrs but now is the time to buy a Grab Lorry mainly because the recession has bought the cost of buying one of these so much cheaper than say a year ago, what was 40k last year is now well under 30k now plus i spend 25k a year on hiring a local firm in when we need muck away etc and we are just getting into Concrete crushing and recycling so now is a good time.

Trying to wade my way through all this O-licence stuff blimey dont we in the plant game get away with murder compaired with you Lorry owners /drivers .

Anyway been looking for 6x4 Tipper grabs but always getting conflicting reports from dealers and the like " Oh you dont want one off them, you need one of these"
This is what im getting all the time;

Iveco 6x4 Tipper Grab ; Poor resale not pit friendly good for parts though?

Merc; 6x4 Tipper Grab; Great resale value esp. for export, parts a nightmare, Tipper bodies always seem to rust very bad compaired with others?

Scania / Volvo 6x4 Tipper Grab; Costs a lot more to buy, totally relable? Some Scanias low on bhp?

Daf; Very good get a lot more for your money some models well over 300 bhp?

Blah blah blah!

So you see getting well confused, im looking at possibly 2nd hand, £ 25k ish to buy which will give me a 02 /03 /04 tipper grab ,but which make?

The grabs cranes themselves im told, The Epsilon with Kinsoffer bucket is the king but apparantly Atlas /Terex, Hmf are all good as well.

On finance my usual company want me to buy new ,yeah right! and they also want me to buy from a main dealer that is well known, so no back street garages then ,but fair enough in a way but on making some enquirys it does seem a good few finance companies now think 02 ,03 models are gettin to old to touch so might have to find 25k of my own money, :cry: yeah if i had it!

Also on the question of drivers ,i will have to advertise for an experienced grab /tipper driver but am i asking to much of them ,because when grab is not busy he will have to "Muck in " with us boys on the groundwork gangs, or do drivers still want to stay stuck to their cab seats even in these times?

Boys i have loads of questions but gently does it on my first post. So if any of you can answer my questions on Whats the best lorry ,best crane etc etc. All replies good or bad id be very gratefull!!

Or am i mad even thinkin about it? :laughing:

Tricky Dicky. Cambs UK

Is this what your looking for?

2004 6x4 Merc/grab. 26ton. £24,000.

search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww … =882200262

search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww … =882200362

search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww … =882200289

Dealer e-mail
emailleads2.autotrader.co.uk/Ema … ke=&model=

Dealer phone/no, 01246 859858

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Tricky Dicky :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC and much more…

Tricky Dicky:
Also on the question of drivers ,i will have to advertise for an experienced grab /tipper driver but am i asking to much of them ,because when grab is not busy he will have to "Muck in " with us boys on the groundwork gangs, or do drivers still want to stay stuck to their cab seats even in these times?

Must they be experienced :question:
If they have been trained on grabs then perhaps a newbie would be ‘more likely’ to ‘muck in’ with other work in order to get that first foot on the ladder :bulb:

When you do advertise then make it clear what the job entails or you are likely to get those who will expect it to be just a driving job - if heavy manual work involved, then make that clear in the ad.

ROG:
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Tricky Dicky :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC and much more…

Tricky Dicky:

Must they be experienced :question:
If they have been trained on grabs then perhaps a newbie would be ‘more likely’ to ‘muck in’ with other work in order to get that first foot on the ladder :bulb:

When you do advertise then make it clear what the job entails or you are likely to get those who will expect it to be just a driving job - if heavy manual work involved, then make that clear in the ad.

my good self :wink:

Hi tricky, I have owned and operated grabs and plant for the best part of 15 yrs be it for subbies or with a partner in crime mainly on utilities. It’s tough for everyone in transport, but with a grab you can source work all year round be it on contract to a local builder/subbie or in the spring muckaway and stone for drives or extensions but alas money is short for home improvements.
So your best bet is to get on with a major Utility Company On contract you have materials and tips paid for and work alongside their own vehicles but be aware , where they expect you to work diesel is a major player on grabs the PTO and driving 11/12 hrs a day will have a big impact and you will have a group of gangs to look after and they will most probably be furthest away from materials/tip Plus my company are on a 90 day invoice
Rates vary greatly now before it was 500 a day, extra for a mate and a trench wacker and of course a few favours Most people lease new wagons mainly dafs/mans don’t touch anything else they can’t pull you out of bed H @ E and audits play a big part so get one thats newer and an 8 legger will return you more when you do drives etc 17 ton gets the muck out many a garden.Railway work is good to get on big bucks weekend money and a doodle.
Recycling is the way to go, fill sand and ■■■■■■■■ cost tuppence. Oh you need an experienced driver a must to many things to go wrong with a newbee its not about just driving I aint cheap dicky but you won’t get any better…
hope it helps and good luck

Boys.

Many thanks for your anwers so far! Much obliged!

Berewic; Have spotted the merc on truck trader.love the way its a quick realise bucket this could mean we could get a 3 ton Red Rhino Concrete crusher onboard if the bucket comes off but then i suppose you stil have the problem of the heavy /akward tailgate to lift on and off. trouble is with that lorry its not from a reconised dealer so finance would be a defo no no and i just aint got 24k laying around at the mo and even if i did i would rather keep some of it in the bank for a "rainy day " or should i say a rainy season like were having everyday now!

Mucksavaga Thank you for your help, The grab really is for our own use with the odd spot hire for anyone local, i have ideas to do a " Hippowaste " Idea for say one day a week just to generate some interest and keep the grab out and about ,you know sell those 1 ton bags with our crushed concrete in them and also send new flat packed bags out in the post or sell them at garden centres for us to pick them up when the customer fills them up,Hippowaste now at £69 a bag to come and grab up, blimey! I am certainly not scared of high profile advertising my products having always have a full time ad in the local paper every day for years and also for the last twelve months weve been on 10 times a day at least on local FM radio advertisng our Driveways,Plant Hire, construction work and mobile concrete crushing!

But Mucksavaga, can you ellaborate please on this £500 per day hire ,its something ive not seriously thought about but i suppose when word gets round that we own a grab we might get asked what we charge for a days daywork? I take it that the customer supplies all materials ,the tip but not diesel?? Can you tell me more please on what daywork for say a utility company would involve?

Also what truck do you run? i need to know which makes i can cross off the list,Southfield Commercials up near Stockport ( wherever that is?) have a 53 6x4 Scania at £29995 but at only 260 bhp looks like a nice truck but that seems low bhp! The Dafs seem coulds value with good bhp but i suppose its the same old saying " You get what you pay for" or is it?

Also im interested in you saying about 8x4s there seems a lot more of these for sale rather than the 6 x4s they also for some reason cheaper ,the 8x4s have a longer reach on their grab cranes which would be very helpfull when picking up those customer bags when the customer places them on the front garden slightly in the wrong place! But would 8x4s be sometimes to big and clumsy up some roads?? Also would the 8x4s serieously ■■■■ a lot more deisel through the engine during a days work or is it just a few more gallons, sorry stupid question but you know what i mean! I must say all our work is local and always within 10 miles of our depot but of course with a grab we will have to be prepaired to go that bit further.

Lads i have loads of questions still but just going out the door to go to work to break up an old concrete driveway with an excavator and then get a grab lorry man in to grab up our broken concrete and take it away hmm so you can see where im coming from it needs to be my grab lorry coming in and taking it back to our yard for us to crush then for us to sell!

Have a good day boys!

Tricky Dicky

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. First things first, I won’t elaborate too much on the pro’s and rate’s for Utility work as all the big Companies are putting in very competetive quotes for the re-newal of existing contracts…

There are 5/10 year contracts up for grabs so there will be a lot of redundacies soon to those who fail in their bids, needless to say rates and wages to will be competetive and any information should not be put on the web for others to use to their advantage…’ If you know what I mean’ Work will be tight for a year or two then things will open up and you should be in the right place at the right time :wink: to press for more.

For your work domestic and drives ie… not running full all the time a Scanny or merc should be fine though a merc has turbo and disc probs. Ideally you should get the truck and crane right first as bodies can be brushed and primed for cosmestic appearance.

In fact most 6/8 wheel grabs up for sale over three years will have been ‘WORKED’ thats a fact you are not going to get a daf lorry , epilson 120 crane, edbro tipping gear, 600 litre bucket, thompson body, dropsides, duall stand up controls etc etc for £20 grand. maybe a brick lorry to convert to a tipper I have seen or just try auctions get working first.

Diesel on a busy 6 day week on average 400 litres running full, might be different if you have to drive around for ‘hippo’ bags, as for your crusher just tow it on a trailer your allowed 3 and half tonnes as I have said I’m working for one of the big co’s now but it is work plenty out of work. It’s a case head down and wait for the chance to find a spot that pays
best of luck I’m out now watch the footy…
PS what region you in ?

Mucksavaga.

Many thanks for your reply,believe me all info no matter how small good or bad is very helpfull.

Sorry i wasnt being nosey about the daily rate you or anyone gets from the Utilitys what i meant was what sort of rate could i expect please by sending out our new 6 wheel or 8 wheel grab on hire for a day to say a local muckaway firm who require a grab but using their tip so my expenses would be diesel and drivers wages■■? Im used to sending plant out on hire on different rates but certainly not lorries!

Still struggling to get my head around do we need a 6 or 8 wheeler grab ■■? Please can you or anyone help tell me please the pros and cons eg more diesel ,more maintance with an 8 wheeler but more payload,would a 6 wheeler be better for collecting those dumpy bags?? 2 trips instead of one for some muckaway could bring in more money maybe on that job??

Also what make of lorry do i go for, a very good longstanding HGV fitter said (his words not mine) Mercs very strong tough machines but very very costly when they go wrong, Scanias look nice but overpriced and plasticky can be low on BHP, Dafs bit cheaper strong contender if theyve got the bigger bhp??

Actually saw an ex Balfour beatty daf 75 310 for sale somewhere 03 i think would that be a well looked after lorry or worked to within an inch of its life??

What is your make of tipper grab is yours Mucksavaga?? Good points bad points.

look forward to all replies lads really do need some info as im not rushing been thinkin about this on and off for years but now i want to try and catch the summer trade around the corner especially with the bag collection thingy and lorries being a lot cheaper than ever before! or will they go even cheaper yet??

Waiting for replies thanks lads.

Tricky Dicky.

Tricky Dicky:
Mucksavaga.

Many thanks for your reply,believe me all info no matter how small good or bad is very helpfull.

Sorry i wasnt being nosey about the daily rate you or anyone gets from the Utilitys what i meant was what sort of rate could i expect please by sending out our new 6 wheel or 8 wheel grab on hire for a day to say a local muckaway firm who require a grab but using their tip so my expenses would be diesel and drivers wages■■? Im used to sending plant out on hire on different rates but certainly not lorries!

Still struggling to get my head around do we need a 6 or 8 wheeler grab ■■? Please can you or anyone help tell me please the pros and cons eg more diesel ,more maintance with an 8 wheeler but more payload,would a 6 wheeler be better for collecting those dumpy bags?? 2 trips instead of one for some muckaway could bring in more money maybe on that job??

Also what make of lorry do i go for, a very good longstanding HGV fitter said (his words not mine) Mercs very strong tough machines but very very costly when they go wrong, Scanias look nice but overpriced and plasticky can be low on BHP, Dafs bit cheaper strong contender if theyve got the bigger bhp??

Actually saw an ex Balfour beatty daf 75 310 for sale somewhere 03 i think would that be a well looked after lorry or worked to within an inch of its life??

What is your make of tipper grab is yours Mucksavaga?? Good points bad points.

look forward to all replies lads really do need some info as im not rushing been thinkin about this on and off for years but now i want to try and catch the summer trade around the corner especially with the bag collection thingy and lorries being a lot cheaper than ever before! or will they go even cheaper yet??

Waiting for replies thanks lads.

Tricky Dicky.

Any replies to my last post,still need help!

Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky:

If the fitter you were talking to is going to do your repairs/servicing than go with whatever he says :wink: most fitters have a prefered make to work on and you’ll get on better keeping him happy !

If not have a look round your area and find a dealer with a good reputation - the backup is very important

hi im new here but im an owner of grab tippers i had 2 running but down to 1 ive got a daf310 thompson steel tipper and hmf 1144 crane its a fast crane and quick for loading and simple for repairs thats an all rounder truck the dafs usually come with 4 over 4 gearbox but id prefer a 12 speed box as ive a lot of hills round here if one of you guys tell me haw to put pics up id be glad to show cheers :smiley:

daf310:
hi im new here but im an owner of grab tippers i had 2 running but down to 1 ive got a daf310 thompson steel tipper and hmf 1144 crane its a fast crane and quick for loading and simple for repairs thats an all rounder truck the dafs usually come with 4 over 4 gearbox but id prefer a 12 speed box as ive a lot of hills round here if one of you guys tell me haw to put pics up id be glad to show cheers :smiley:

you need to upload the photo’s to a hosting site (I use www.photobucket.com - there are others :wink: ) then just copy the BBCode link and paste it here

daf310:

Hi Daf310.

Could you tell me more on the hmf1144 crane /grab it seems no end of these are put on tipper grabs.

What is your max stretch and what will it lift in kgs at full stretch and also at minimum say a couple of mtrs away from your lorry.

Tricky dicky

hi tricky, I run a daf 340 8 wheeler with a hmf1144 and 600 kg bucket. I moved some ton sand bags on Friday and I locked out at about 5m (arm slightly bent and half extension)

with wet clay and dense stuff it struggles at full reach. remember that if your doing a lot of bag work you can drop the bucket and lift with a hook, I reckon it will then get your ton bags to full reach 6m

8 or 6 wheeler? after the initial purchase cost difference and a loss of about a mile per gallon personally i’d go with the 8. i have a payload of 16’250kgs.