53 or 56??

Having recently read a topic by Mr Vain about the new actros mp4 & how it is limited to 53 mph in A economy mode, just wondered how many ODs travel at 53 to save fuel or do you make the most of the speed limit where possible■■?

DT@Leightonhaul:
Having recently read a topic by Mr Vain about the new actros mp4 & how it is limited to 53 mph in A economy mode, just wondered how many ODs travel at 53 to save fuel or do you make the most of the speed limit where possible■■?

Thought it was 52mph in Aeco and 56 in A… Mine was anyway - maybe they can change the settings?

DT@Leightonhaul:

I was on a fuel efficiency course recently and the trainer said that he used to work as a TM for Morrisons. He said that they had reduced the limiters from 56-58mph to about 50-52mph to improve fuel efficiency. They apparently found that the trucks that had been doing the store deliveries had returned significant fuel savings but those trucks that had been trunking between RDC’s had actually returned worse fuel figures. After further tests I think he said they settled for around 55mph as the best overall setting for the trunkers.

So I think that addresses your point about making the most of speed limits. I think if you’re mainly trunking, a higher setting on the limiter is more efficient, whereas “going round the doors” the lower setting will be more efficient.

I seem to remember coffeeoholic ran at low 80s
when he was ODr

we knocked a unit down to 50 the only difference was nobody would drive it,it was like a rattlesnake parked up,it was taken back up to 56. :smiley:

Did my own (totally unscientific) trial on the M69 with a partly laden Scania R440 artic;

on the limiter = 7.5mpg (ish) on dash readout
50mph = 8.5mpg (ish)

Doesn’t prove much, but food for thought, especially to an OD?