4.997m height trailer into London

I’ve just started going into the big city with a 16Ft 2" trailer, so my options are pretty limited getting over the river to the first of two drops. It’s a nightmare when diverted due to road works. Last one I had was a 14’ 9"" one way and 15’3" the other…!!!

I have had a good hunt both within the forums and on government websites but am unable to find the answer to this question.

If a bridge has no height indicator shown, what is the mimimum height you can safely assume it to be?

Tram cables are at 5.8m unless indicated, I found that out but bridges…■■ It’s a long time since I did my theory

Can someone offer me a reference point I can quote to TM to allow me to justify the route I take which has to be approved by TFL because I leave the ERN.

I don’t use satnav, but I do have TFL London atlas which gives bridge heights, weight & width limits on bridges which is very good and does reduce my concern on low bridges, but if I get diverted there are bridges available but they have no height warning signs.

thanks

Magic Mel:
If a bridge has no height indicator shown, what is the mimimum height you can safely assume it to be?

5 metres, or 16’ 6"

Thanks for that, where did you find that?

Should be in the Theory Handbook :grimacing:
I did see a map in WH Smith designed for lorries with all the bridge heights marked along the roads, might be worth investing in one if you’re doing this as a regular job.

Magic Mel:
Thanks for that, where did you find that?

Please, please please tell me that you didnt know the minimum height for an umarked bridge was 16"6’ :open_mouth:

Yes I remember reading it in my theory book long time ago, but I was wondering if it was laid down in the Road Traffic Act or the Road construction act but eithe way could not find a reference point.

I do have the truckers atlas but it does not give weight limits of the various river bridges on the Thames, in central London hence the TFL A4 atlas for.

I always assumed that an unmarked bridge was 16’6" safe clearance, not bridge height.

According to the ‘Book’ An unmarked bridge should be a minimum of 5m (16 feet 6 inches) in height.

Something to bear in mind is that if there is a pavement running beneath the bridge, the indicated height is the distance between the top of the pavement and the bridge, giving another two or three inches of clearance.

The clearance under bridges spanning public roads in the UK, below which low bridge signing is required, is 16’-6” (5.03m). All bridges with a headroom of less than this, at any point over a carriageway, should be signed in accordance with the guidance given in Chapter 4 of the Traffic Signs Manual (TSM)2 , section 7. This will, in all situations, allow a minimum safety margin of 3” or 0.1m (these are not equivalent values but are each determined in accordance with the measurement guidelines).
Additional guidance on the use of road markings to guide high vehicles at arch bridges is given in Chapter 5 of TSM3. It is important to note that signing only relates to the headroom over the carriageway. Footways and verges are not included and so related chevrons or hazard markings must not extend beyond the limits of the carriageway.

ROG:

The clearance under bridges spanning public roads in the UK, below which low bridge signing is required, is 16’-6” (5.03m). All bridges with a headroom of less than this, at any point over a carriageway, should be signed in accordance with the guidance given in Chapter 4 of the Traffic Signs Manual (TSM)2 , section 7. This will, in all situations, allow a minimum safety margin of 3” or 0.1m (these are not equivalent values but are each determined in accordance with the measurement guidelines).
Additional guidance on the use of road markings to guide high vehicles at arch bridges is given in Chapter 5 of TSM3. It is important to note that signing only relates to the headroom over the carriageway. Footways and verges are not included and so related chevrons or hazard markings must not extend beyond the limits of the carriageway.

Thank you, just what I wanted

Harry Monk:
Something to bear in mind is that if there is a pavement running beneath the bridge, the indicated height is the distance between the top of the pavement and the bridge, giving another two or three inches of clearance.

" It is important to note that signing only relates to the headroom over the carriageway. Footways and verges are not included " :wink:

Can anybody explain why a 12ft6 rigid will fit through a 12ft6 bridge :confused:
Not that Ive erm, done it myself obviouly :wink:

DAF95XF:
Can anybody explain why a 12ft6 rigid will fit through a 12ft6 bridge :confused:

Bounce tolerance

Dunno then?:

Harry Monk:

" It is important to note that signing only relates to the headroom over the carriageway. Footways and verges are not included " :wink:

Look at one for yourself.

DAF95XF:

I wouldnt like to go through it fast :confused:

bugcos:
I wouldnt like to go through it fast :confused:

Ah but faster would be better, because as Einstein’s Theory of Relativity explains, things get smaller as they go faster :wink:

Harry Monk:
Einstein’s Theory of Relativity explains, things get smaller as they go faster :wink:

Is that why the women like their menfolk to go slower when making love ? :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Quite possibly…Mrs Monk once said to me “I don’t think much of your organ” so I said “Well, I’ve never had to play it in a Cathedral before”.

here we go
triangular signs warns so 4.0m means clearance is possible erm less than 4m
round signs prohibit so 4.5m prohibition anything over 4.5m cant go