bridge heights

i was just wondering what is the minimum height on bridges?
i sometimes see them which are not height marked why is this?
vigfan

The minimum height for an unmarked bridge is 16ft 6in, below this height they are legally required to be signed although some low bridges in remote rural areas may not be.

Hi Vig,

I believe that unmarked bridges are at least 5m high, if you are running higher than that then you will need to inform utilities and highways along your route…

Blimey still remember stuff from my theory !!

G

To add, if the vehicle is over 3 metres high there needs to be a notice in the cab telling you the height.

Yep, 16’6" other wise there should be sufficient notice to re route.

mrpj:
To add, if the vehicle is over 3 metres high there needs to be a notice in the cab telling you the height.

And you are required by law to change it to the correct height for the trailer you have on the back if you change them .

Yes as said above unmarked bridges are 16ft 6in

Also I would print this off as this week for the first time
I seen a bridge with the height just displayed in metres
only and not feet and metres.
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7648

metres only …about time too i cant recall the last time i had a trailer that was built to imperial spec :laughing:

Buy A Truckers Atlas…they are all in there…I never go anywhere without mine, just in case I get diverted onto a different road. Its a real pain cos we got 15 ft 9 trailers!
On the inside cover of the map, theres a conversion chart for metres/feet. I cant understand metres,I get all confuddled! :blush:
T.■■

Mine’s the old one Truckette, but I’ve come across a couple that arn’t marked, admittadley down B Roads :open_mouth: :angry: :blush: . The AA atlas mostly seems to give the major A roads and I can certianly say their’s a couple up north near a builders merchants that arn’t :unamused:. Can’t for the life of me remember where :unamused:, but the Truckers Atlas does help mightly.

I remember a bridge in Thetford near the industrial estates which had a full set of low bridge markers - it was about 20 feet tall. I remember thinking that if you couldn’t get under that one you would not be going very far before you got stuck!!

I can never work out why, on every 7.5 tonner I have driven (even new trucks) the height is never marked in metres, yet virtually every garage has the canopy height marked in metres.

Calv

I can never work out why, on every 7.5 tonner I have driven (even new trucks) the height is never marked in metres, yet virtually every garage has the canopy height marked in metres.

Well thats our membership of the Brussels Brigade again then.

Buy your DERV by the litre, clock your distance in kilometres, but the co. you drive for will be charging by the mile :unamused:

Buy your beer in the pub by the pint, but exceed the miles per hour speed limit on the way home (not that any TN member would D & D!!) & you’'ll get a tug & be breathalised, measured in metric units!!

French motorway speed limit higher than ours? Euro DERV cheaper than ours?

Either we’re in the EEC or we’re not. Seems to me, just in it “a bit”.

Driveroneuk:
well thats our membership of the Brussels Brigade again then.

Buy your DERV by the litre, clock your distance in kilometres, but the co. you drive for will be charging by the mile :unamused:

Buy your beer in the pub by the pint, but exceed the miles per hour speed limit on the way home (not that any TN member would D & D!!) & you’'ll get a tug & be breathalised, measured in metric units!!

French motorway speed limit higher than ours? Euro DERV cheaper than ours?

Either we’re in the EEC or we’re not. Seems to me, just in it “a bit”.

Metrication has little to do with EEC. Britain decided to go metric in 1965 and it should have taken 10 years to complete, I was educated in the metric system and I started school before we went into Europe.
Australia managed it in 10 years, and most of the rest of the world is metric, nothing to do with Brussels there.
40 years on we have a muddle because a few little Englanders write to the Daily Mail if anybody suggests finishing the project, or the Sun uses it as a Brussels bashing exercise.
Sorry rant over :blush:

Back on subject, Oh yea the hieght is 16’6" and I’ve always wondered why the footbridge in Thetford is marked up at 20’, it might be from the days when it was the main A11 and it was the only bridge for miles.

I have an audible warning fitted to my truck

If I hear a bang, the bridge is not high enough :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess that comes with the optional visual warning…

…after the audible warning the height sign falls down the back of your cab. :laughing:

driving a tranporter can be fun when it comes to bridges. We all have the Bridge Clear units fitted but those are about as useless as chocolate ovens… With newer cars all having these extra size roofs for the “modern” family it’s making it more and more difficult to fit under bridges with the cars intact… s’pose thats where insurance comes in :smiley:

WHY , where ever you have to load do they not put a are aside where the vehicle in question can goand there is a method of checking the height

HERE IS MY SUGGESTION in the area set aside for this task have a
wall built of a light but stable and sound manufacture painted white with
areas marked off showing the height ( IN FEET/INCHES++METERS)
YOU PARK THE COMBINATION AGAINST THE WALL AND THEN BY CLIMBING A TOWER/LADDER YOU CAN SEE WHAT HEIGHT THE
THE IS LOADED TO;
if this is too long winded at the highest point measure the height useing a measureing pole which is marked off in both feet-inches & meters

some how one of these two suggestions must be of use and so save the drivers bounus for not damageing the goods■■?

Kind of off topic but the new fly-over for the A1 at Ferrybridge looks extremely low to me and already there are some scuff marks on it where a load has grazed it. This is the one as you head eastbound on the M62 about half a mile before leaving for Ferrybridge MSA.

Anyone remember the arched bridge at Long Eaton Station between Long Eaton and Sawley? It was marked at 10’ but that was at the kerbside. I arrived before it one day, having forgotten its presence, with a Bedford ‘S’ Type 4x4 mounted on a Thames Trader. It looked way too high but when I climbed up on the back of the Bedford and looked horizontally towards the centre of the arch it looked as if it just might…

I edged forward cautiously, with someone watching from the other side. I reckon there was less than 1" clearance, but it did go through. Phew :open_mouth:

I have a faint memory of going through there with a container as well, I think it was about 13’ in the middle over a width of about 8 or 9.

Salut, David.

for you guys with satnav email this guy robin@willow-house.co.uk in the subject put in the max hight you require and and your nav system ie like this
bridge 13ft tt5 and he will send you a file for you to use i found this on another forum