2017 day cf

I’ve just had the displeasure of bring given a light bodied daf cf has anyone else had major problems with power problems and setting of from a roundabout and it will go forward for a metre then stop dead in middle of roundabout. I’ve tried all gearbox options manual eco off it doesn’t matter it doesn’t move empty or loaded. Pull out of a quarry yesterday 10 ton on got to hill and it stopped dead and rolled backwards no wheel spin had to use turtle mode to get up a hill which I’ve gone up with 25ton in a iveco loads of times with no problem

Welcome to the world of the AS tronic gearbox. By far the worst on the market. I drive mine in manual mode at all times.

Turtle mode in a DAF allows more clutch slip, it’s not actually a different gear.

If you’re finding she tries to pull away in too high a gear, bogs down and dithers around with a looong shift, chances are that you’ve gone from the brake to the accelerator too quickly for it to keep up. Try either being more gentle with the accelerator or coming off the brakes in enough time to feather the accelerator before you reach the line. Also, even in ECO mode, once the revs fall below the green band, it’ll let you manually downshift whether you’re using the exhaust brake or not. You can downshift whenever you want (providing the next gear won’t redline it) when you’re on the exhauster.

The only time I really have an issue with the gearbox (I’m guessing they’re the same as my 17 plate XF) is if I’ve not read the road properly and pull away in ECO and get up just enough revs that she goes for a block change where I want to ease off and just maintain the power to get around the corner.

Now that I’ve typed all of that out, I’ve just reread what you wrote. :unamused: Sounds more like it’s got a problem.

Ive a 2015 XF 460 with that god-awful box in it. Worse to drive than the auto boxes that preceded it. It seems to be set up to give fuel economy on flat roads with half a load on. Anything apart from that is out of its capabililty.
You may find it will try to change up on an upslope, fail to grab the higher gear, attempt a downchange, fail at that too, and then roll back. Is that what happened?
It is capable of stalling the engine if you need to brake sharply too. Its left me with no engine, hence no power steering, at about 20mph. Not enough to deal with? it then sets all the lights flashing and buzzers sounding to tell you theres summat wrong! No kidding!
Hateful, horrible, things to drive.
As said already switch it into manual as soon as you can, it can`t be trusted.

Unless the job is particularly good, i wonder how many drivers have jumped ship due to Daf’s with later arsetronics, i would jack it and find another if had a run of the mill job and was issued with one.

They weren’t so bad pre the new look cab, no scotch that they were still crap if left in auto, but at least you could drive them in manual all day long if you wished to make some normal progress, since the facelift and these ones with ECO mode that takes over and puts you in precarious situations they’ve plumbed previously uncharted depths of driving hell.

Maybe I’ve just been spectacularly lucky (not like my normal style!) but I’ve really not struggled with the gearbox of the handful of XFs I’ve driven.

Could be a newbies touch - maybe since I make decisions slower than an experienced driver the lorry can keep up with me. Perhaps in a couple of years I’ll be bemoaning it! :grimacing:

Franglais:
Ive a 2015 XF 460 with that god-awful box in it. Worse to drive than the auto boxes that preceded it. It seems to be set up to give fuel economy on flat roads with half a load on. Anything apart from that is out of its capabililty.
You may find it will try to change up on an upslope, fail to grab the higher gear, attempt a downchange, fail at that too, and then roll back. Is that what happened?
It is capable of stalling the engine if you need to brake sharply too. Its left me with no engine, hence no power steering, at about 20mph. Not enough to deal with? it then sets all the lights flashing and buzzers sounding to tell you theres summat wrong! No kidding!

That’s what it did to me pulled out of this quarry got straight and accelerated just can’t understand how I’ve pulled 25 ton out same place with a iveco and a Volvo fm400 bhp which that old girl was tired and she never failed to pull a load up a hill! I knew it would never be as good as my old fh but stalling with 10ton is dangerous be going into work Monday telling them to sort it out just glad it’s not me being daft

slowlane:
Turtle mode in a DAF allows more clutch slip, it’s not actually a different gear.

If you’re finding she tries to pull away in too high a gear, bogs down and dithers around with a looong shift, chances are that you’ve gone from the brake to the accelerator too quickly for it to keep up. Try either being more gentle with the accelerator or coming off the brakes in enough time to feather the accelerator before you reach the line. Also, even in ECO mode, once the revs fall below the green band, it’ll let you manually downshift whether you’re using the exhaust brake or not. You can downshift whenever you want (providing the next gear won’t redline it) when you’re on the exhauster.

The only time I really have an issue with the gearbox (I’m guessing they’re the same as my 17 plate XF) is if I’ve not read the road properly and pull away in ECO and get up just enough revs that she goes for a block change where I want to ease off and just maintain the power to get around the corner.

Now that I’ve typed all of that out, I’ve just reread what you wrote. :unamused: Sounds more like it’s got a problem.

I tried that driving in manual which does help a bit just reduces that stupid percentage driving aid ( that’s annoying too) will be speaking to work Monday can’t be slammed UI Ng brakes on with steel coils on because it can’t get up a hill

The driving percentage might be the key to the whole farce!

I tend to score 90-93% each week, so I guess I’m driving it how it wants to be driven. Be interested to know how it matches up with other people’s experience. A mate of mine hates his identical unit and tends to score 35-40% :bulb:

I’ve never had any higher than 36% on that driver score nonsense yet I still manage to be near the top of our mpg table every month.
Luckily I work for a firm who don’t care what it says.

Vinniedom:

Franglais:

That’s what it did to me pulled out of this quarry got straight and accelerated just can’t understand how I’ve pulled 25 ton out same place with a iveco and a Volvo fm400 bhp which that old girl was tired and she never failed to pull a load up a hill! I knew it would never be as good as my old fh but stalling with 10ton is dangerous be going into work Monday telling them to sort it out just glad it’s not me being daft

From experience with our local DAF dealer they’ll just tell you to switch it into manual. If it defaults back to auto that function can be lifted. It can be programmed so the eco mode disappears. Still not as good as a true manual or the earlier autos, but more controlable. The button on the stalk that selects eco/off/man doesn’t ‘click’ when pushed, do you’re not sure whether or not it’s accepted the input. If it’s pushed when it’s thinking of changing gear it won’t accept the input. The eco display can be taken off completely at the dealers too.
If the green ticks annoy you (and why wouldn’t they?) you can turn them off yourself. I think it’s select driving aids, then eco, then coaching and select off. You’ll have to do this every time as it won’t remember your choice.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Makes me glad my boss hates DAF’s and wont buy them

blue estate:
Makes me glad my boss hates DAF’s and wont buy them

We used to have lots of them. My previous DAF was a great truck, manual box and it did what was asked of it. Comfortable, reliable, and competent, nothing flashy or anything. I would willingly have kept that one. Present one is about doing about 9nquarter mpg against 8nalf of older one. Slightly quicker trip times too. I cant help but believe Id get better mpg from this newer engine with a proper 16-speed box though. Maybe its me being too big headed, but I reckon me sitting at the wheel looking at the road, can select a gear better than someone sat at a desk in Eindhoven 3 years ago programming the computer. Im not knocking all auto boxes, the Scania Merc Renault boxes seem to do our work OK, Its just that stupid newer DAF one that cant. And it seems the very latest trucks have done away the box were discussing, so just a few of us stuck with the things. Hasnt done DAF any favours though: any DAF rep would have a hard job at our place now. The boss may be tempted by a good offer, but he`d have to suffer miserable drivers calling him names!