DAF XF105 Problems

My 6 month old Daf 105 has now developed fault when selecting reverse with auto box , Transmission warning sports on screen innorange and reverse bleeper stopped only clears after ignition switched off and going forwards ■■? And ideas chaps■■?

AaronR:
Just after some advice, Has anyone else had these problems and know what did/could cure it? Regards Aaron

yes :sunglasses: sprinkle with petroleum :laughing: take match from matchbox :smiley: strike said match :wink: and run :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

You really would think that DAF and MAN would have jumped all over ZF to sort out that awful gearbox! Have had Volvo, Renault and currently Scania and all are far superior to anything with the ZF auto. Even Renault couldn’t balls up the Volvo i shift with their electronics, so all the issues with DAF and MAN must come back to the basic engineering of the box.

At the risk of being shot down have you tried selecting the manual option on hills then reverting to auto i drive a daf auto and i run liquid tanks and usually average 8.5 to 9 mpg also it helps to use the manual to keep it in the green band just a thought

Rubbish gearbox for tankers though my last company told us to use manual option especially pulling away with loaded tank on

This thread is from years ago! He’s probly binned them by now. People can be unrealistic as regards fuel consumption though, I run a flat on max weight and get 6.6mpg out of a prem, that’s caning it most of the time though.

Recently I jumped out of the prem & in to a Daf cf with the ZF auto & the difference in the drive train & general feel was like night and day, takes ages for the CF to pick up once you want to do anything, like slow motion through mud, the prem just blows it away in my opinion.

Just after some advice,

Last june we purchased 2 DAF XF105 460 super space cab and to 4x2 layout, but we are really not happy with the performance.

They run close coupled to fridge trailers on run from Ipswich to Paris, reloading in Paris area and tipping at Haverhill, running out with approx 11 tonnes out and reloading about 20 tonnes back, but the trucks just dont seem to pull up hills like a 460 should, and the as-tronic gearbox just doesnt seem to run properly, i.e it is slow to react on hills, and when it does change down, the time taken to do so means the truck loses all momentum, to say we are disappointed with them is an understatement. To top it off they are only achieving 7.5-8 mpg. As can be expected, the DAF dealership doesnt want to know.

Has anyone else had these problems and know what did/could cure it?

Regards
Aaron

Presumably theres no recent update for the gearbox programming from DAF ?

But, I have to say it, you cant beat a manual gearbox. :grimacing:

We have had endless problems with adblue warning lights on our CF85 Dafs,they are all 410s on 58 plates with high roofs and the AS Tronic gearbox.Another problem we get is the automatic transmission warning light coming on but that can be turning the ignition on too quickly.The other fault we have is ebs truck brake warning light on with a buzzer.The normal response from Daf is someone arrives with the Davy plugs it in turns the light off and away it goes for a few more days until the lights come on again.Take the adblue away the auto box and the vehicle sensors and you`ve got a good lorry,but that would be too sensible

My last 4 months working was really quite a PITA with the 105. In the end I refused to drive it, it was taken away for a week to be fixed, all the warnings, reduced power etc.
I was given a 57 plate 105 and that was fine for 140 miles, then it started with the exact same probs as the 59 plate that had gone away to be fixed!
I got my own unit back and drove a mile up the road and all the faults were back again :unamused: I didn`t care by then, as I was leaving the job two days later.

After speaking with other drivers running these bloody things, it seems the problems I had were not unique and infact quite good compared to some.

Even the fitter I took it to at the DAF dealership asked when I would be bringing it back…So he could book the time off!!
Thats how bad these things are when they have a fault that cannot be traced.

When you consider the problems you can have with a static computer, is it surprising that a vehicle has problems.

God awful auto box IMO, along with the electrics, they seem to have gone a great deal backwards lately.

You just can`t beat an “I” Shift, far superior to anything else…Just an observation :sunglasses:

Once you’re on the cruise, you need to knock the auto box in to manual mode so you can control the downshifts.

Silver_Surfer:
Once you’re on the cruise, you need to knock the auto box in to manual mode so you can control the downshifts.

Sounds like the opticrap i’ve just started driving. Never had an issue with the Iveco auto box :frowning:

To be honest when auto box’s first came out, they were new & funky & the must have option but having used most of them over time, the only one worth a jot is the Vovlo I-shift and the next generation Scania opticruise that’s just been released although I don’t have first hand experience of the new one (old one is crap) I have followed the development closely and they seem to have got it right now. The Iveco, MAN & DAF offerings are ok but just ok.

If I was buying new today, i’d spec a manual box in any make apart from Volvo or Scania & maybe Iveco.

I don’t have any experience of powershift from Merc, that’s meant to be alright, the telligent box is naff.

As an aside, i’m sure there’s more than a few people who don’t realise if the ad-blue tank runs out it cuts the power.

get daf to plug davie in and check for software updates , power wise make sure fuel and air filters ok, tappet adjustments and no turbo pressure loss from intercooler pipes ect. daf have had problems with ad blue dosing moduels crystalising up think they are on 3rd or forth edition from bosch now and revised software update

I`ve never been a fan of auto boxes in any make but agree that the Volvo box is the best.The Scania opticruise we run are ok and thats only because we opted for the clutch pedal,it makes reversing so much easier.The Dafs are not good forwards or backwards.I would opt for a manual in any including Volvo i just think you are more in control.The 08 and 58 plate Dafs we run are very unreliable compared with the 54 plate ones they replaced

Aaron, are the boxes slow to change down on the flat aswell?

Everyone else, if you cant get a dealer to fix it first time, CHANGE THE DEALER.

DONT TAR ALL THE DEALERS OR FITTERS/TECHS WITH THE SAME BRUSH.

If your local dealer is rubbish and cant fix it properly theyre not trying hard enough or the Techs arent up to the standard they should be. Some dealers dont have anyone clever enough for the modern tech, they can change oil all day, no probs, give them something technical and they clear the faults and send it back out.

I was one of 30 DAF Master Techs and I am pretty confident I could fix anything that could be thrown at me (Including work from at least 3 other dealers) So dont think all the dealers are useless, let me know where you are and I may be able to recommend someone or a particular dealer.

i’ve had a 105 auto for a week now and the only problem i’ve got with it is the coolant warning light coming on when i start it up! it’s a 410 engine but it pulls as well as my old 85 430. i don’t have any problem with the gear changes no matter what weight i’m pulling although it does sometimes hang onto a gear until the revs are in the blue zone. if this happens i just change manually with the stalk and the next change comes in fine. so far, i’m getting around 10 mpg, which is about the same as the 95 we have. i was getting around 12 in the 85.

now i’ve sung it’s praises, expect it to blow up tomorrow! :blush: