DAF XF105 Problems

Silver_Surfer:
As an aside, i’m sure there’s more than a few people who don’t realise if the ad-blue tank runs out it cuts the power.

Impossible, you have a guage and a warning on the dash display, but more importantly a routine that ensures you fill the ad blue whilst re-fuelling, well I did.

The trouble with the Astronic is it relys to much on throttle input rather than road speed and common sense

It will change up while coasting and let it lug until your in the ■■■■ and then when it does change and 5 secs later you have lost all your road speed. The only way to drive is start off in auto then change to manual when you have got to about 25-30 :wink:

timmo:
i’ve had a 105 auto for a week now and the only problem i’ve got with it is the coolant warning light coming on when i start it up! it’s a 410 engine but it pulls as well as my old 85 430. i don’t have any problem with the gear changes no matter what weight i’m pulling although it does sometimes hang onto a gear until the revs are in the blue zone. if this happens i just change manually with the stalk and the next change comes in fine. so far, i’m getting around 10 mpg, which is about the same as the 95 we have. i was getting around 12 in the 85.

now i’ve sung it’s praises, expect it to blow up tomorrow! :blush:

if its air suspension try lowering suspension right down first thing in morning and top header tank up for water this may sort the warning light out as it gets that little bit extra coolant in :slight_smile:

The_DAF_Man:
Aaron, are the boxes slow to change down on the flat aswell?

Everyone else, if you cant get a dealer to fix it first time, CHANGE THE DEALER.

DONT TAR ALL THE DEALERS OR FITTERS/TECHS WITH THE SAME BRUSH.

If your local dealer is rubbish and cant fix it properly theyre not trying hard enough or the Techs arent up to the standard they should be. Some dealers dont have anyone clever enough for the modern tech, they can change oil all day, no probs, give them something technical and they clear the faults and send it back out.

I was one of 30 DAF Master Techs and I am pretty confident I could fix anything that could be thrown at me (Including work from at least 3 other dealers) So dont think all the dealers are useless, let me know where you are and I may be able to recommend someone or a particular dealer.

i argree daf man try diff dealer it can also depend on shifts to which techs you get also

mattaid:

The_DAF_Man:

Everyone else, if you cant get a dealer to fix it first time, CHANGE THE DEALER.

If your local dealer is rubbish and cant fix it properly theyre not trying hard enough or the Techs arent up to the standard they should be. Some dealers dont have anyone clever enough for the modern tech, they can change oil all day, no probs, give them something technical and they clear the faults and send it back out.

I was one of 30 DAF Master Techs and I am pretty confident I could fix anything that could be thrown at me (Including work from at least 3 other dealers) So dont think all the dealers are useless, let me know where you are and I may be able to recommend someone or a particular dealer.

i argree daf man try diff dealer it can also depend on shifts to which techs you get also

That`s all very well, but, what happens if the next dealer / svc agent are miles away ■■?, I may have bought a DAF for the very reason, that the dealer / svc agent is on my door step [keeping costs to a minimum mileage wise], its a sign of the times, that dealers + service agents have individuals who are not fit for purpose :blush:

IMO, Daf have got away with murder @ the workshop end, the attitude of some I`ve had the misfortune to visit was / is awful, their breakdown reputation has carried the organisation for years :open_mouth:

Shame really, the 105XF looks a fine motor :unamused:

any make of dealer or service agents weather daf volvo ect or a independent garages you get good and bad techs some like just servicing others like a challenge

Stanley Mitchell:

mattaid:

The_DAF_Man:

That`s all very well, but, what happens if the next dealer / svc agent are miles away ■■?, I may have bought a DAF for the very reason, that the dealer / svc agent is on my door step [keeping costs to a minimum mileage wise], its a sign of the times, that dealers + service agents have individuals who are not fit for purpose :blush:

IMO, Daf have got away with murder @ the workshop end, the attitude of some I`ve had the misfortune to visit was / is awful, their breakdown reputation has carried the organisation for years :open_mouth:

Shame really, the 105XF looks a fine motor :unamused:

To be honest, there are people unfit for purpose in any job, Ive met plenty of drivers I’d put into that category.

As Mattaid says, even a shift change could change everything, I was Master Tech and the opposite shift could at times be a little useless, so people would ask by name which shift I was on that week, and book their vehicles in accordingly.

It is a fair point that vehicles may be bought on the point of there being a local Dealer but some research about them would go a long way? Dealerships dont HAVE to have level 4 or Master Techs, they are scored on having lv.1 to lv.3, the problem with this is lv. 3 is that it is based on course attendance, NOT knowledge.

And the XF105 IS a blinding motor, just buy a post 57/08 plate to avoid engine problems

The_DAF_Man:
And the XF105 IS a blinding motor, just buy a post 57/08 plate to avoid engine problems

Don`t tell me, they were having a bad day / month / year / shift / whatever…the point being missed, these things cost serious money, there is NO room for ineptitude, whether your putting the things together, fixing them, or, driving them.

TBF, the attitude EVERYWHERE is starting to grate, but, me being a positive sort of a guy, I see opportunties :laughing:

I do agree with your comment regarding some drivers, bloody frightening at times innit :blush:

att:

Silver_Surfer:
As an aside, i’m sure there’s more than a few people who don’t realise if the ad-blue tank runs out it cuts the power.

Impossible, you have a guage and a warning on the dash display, but more importantly a routine that ensures you fill the ad blue whilst re-fuelling, well I did.

May be impossible for you and I but you’re giving far too much credit to some other members of the human gene pool! :stuck_out_tongue:

n

I seen a 2008 105 XF with a broken chassis recently,the owner said the older 95’s where bulletproof the newer model is made from paper. We have a DAF and it work’s hard every day with heavy load’s,there have been few problem’s but the truck is 2006 model. The driver admit’s it won’t last as long as his previous Scania thou.