LGV Driving... Job For Life?

the maoster:

switchlogic:
When it comes to autonomous vehicles the best thing I’ve heard anyone say is this- if you’re a lorry driver in your 40’s or older you’ll almost certainly have a full career. But someone starting out at 18? Unlikely. I agree.

Can’t see it Luke. Admittedly I’m at the wrong end of my career, but if I was a keen 18 year old I’d jump in feet first. As Juddian alludes to correctly the tech will not be at an acceptable level for a few generations at least. Once I can get a full DAB signal just south of Tebay or from Carlisle to Lesmahagow I may start worrying.

That’s not to say they shouldn’t do it. But just be aware. I drove that Volvo Dual Clutch 540 to Italy 3 years ago for a magazine review and it entirely changed my opinion on this subject. It was a demo direct from Volvo so it came fully loaded with tech, most trucks we drive dont come close. That effectively drove itself to Italy, all I did was steer most of time. It went over the Alps and I touched the pedals once or twice I think. Up and down. The technology is getting close. An 18 year old is nearly 50 years from retirement. Think how far we’ve come in 50 and you’ll realise anything is possible.