HGV CAREER..

So guys, is it going to be worth pursuing this as a living? any thoughts and experiences much appreciated. :smiley:

i think so pal, its hard to make that break (or is it?) i have applied for a few job and rang firms to be sent out a fair few applications, all knew i was newly passed i mentioned it to see if it was worth appyling still. surely they`d just say no as some firms have so i think ill hear something possitive back. seems as if alot of firms are wanting drivers when you ring up or will take your details for future.but even if its not easy to make that break once your on that ladder only way is up!

goodluck whatever you decide

Yorkie08:
So guys, is it going to be worth pursuing this as a living? any thoughts and experiences much appreciated. :smiley:

Is it what YOU want to do?

I’m a newbie, recently qualified C&E, no experience driving anything but a car and I’ve yet to get any work. I have been a bit busy visiting my Mum in Hospital up in Wakefield. Something will come up Job wise, it’s what I really want to be doing and at 43 I don’t think I’m too old for a Career change.

Anyway, what I’m saying is, is it what you want to do? Check out the Job centre and see what LGV jobs are available in your area:-
jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Interne … tialise.do

Yes, I do want to do it. For the record I’m28 and live in Surrey at present but looking to move to EastYorkshire / Humberside next year

i think you`ve answered your own question then ! sometimes you can think about it too hard i wanted to to it at 21 but always found a excuse not to, theres always going to be a excuse not to, but so many reason to do in most case.

More to gain than lose, apart from a grand and half :wink:

and rest mate if your off for c+e that is

Well worth it in my opinion.
You’ll hear plenty of old ■■■■■ on this and other forums telling you how the job isn’t the same and it’ll never last.

But of course it will, a lot of those moaners will be leaving when the CPC comes in, nows the time to get in the industry and get 5 years or so experience behind you, in time for all the CPC leavers in 2014.

Thats what I’m doing anyway :wink:

Alex

very true, transport is one of biggest jobs around i mean every firm has transport, and from what im aware there isnt there still a shortage of drivers

Aye, â– â– â– â–  it. Surely it can do more good than harm and one day the license will come in handy

Yorkie08:
Aye, [zb] it. Surely it can do more good than harm and one day the license will come in handy

I’ve held a licence to drive Class 1 (C+E to you) since 1977. I have never put it to use until now but have kept my medicals up to date just in case I ever needed it. Even if you do another job, an HGV licence is an extra string to your bow that you can use if your circumstances change in the future. I’m very proud to hold a class 1 licence and have found it a comfort just knowing I have a somewhat rusty skill I can use if things become too tough in my normal job. The cost of obtaining a licence can only increase so if you can afford the cost of the training I would say go for it now. It won’t wear out.

BJD

The cost of obtaining a licence can only increase so if you can afford the cost of the training I would say go for it now. It won’t wear out.

BJD
[/quote]

too true i learned the hard way with this with the price of fuel never ending rising above inflation its only going to get worse