Hello... I'm a newbie, thinking of taking my LGV

Hello

I’m new to these forums.
I’ve joined because I’ve had enough of my current job (paint sprayer for a car manufacturer) & I want a complete career change.
I’ve been seriously considering training to get my lgv license.
I quite fancy the job & think it would suit me pretty well & I understand that jobs are availiable when you obtain your license.
I have received mixed opinions from friends & family but I don’t actually know anyone who is a driver.
So I found this site & figured the best idea would be to speak to the people who actually do the job, i.e… you lot! :smiley:

Can you earn a decent living from lgv driving?
Is it a good job?
Would you recommend it?

Any thoughts, help, advice etc is gratefully received

Many thanks

Mark

I’d thoroughly recommend it. I worked in an office for 17 years and recently have been ‘house husbanding’ whilst the wife got maternity leave/promotions etc.

Passed my Cat C at fourth attempt (just) last August and consider myself very fortunate to be driving a 18 tonner delivering clothes to Top Shop and the likes through an Agency.

Put in some hard work and reap the rewards. It’s a tough old world but people I’ve met are genuine and helpful and get on with the job.

I’m loving the open road and the chance to do something real after years of stagnating and being messed around.

Good luck to you mate and take a chill pill when doing your training and test - we are all human and make mistakes - just stay calm and think/ plan ahead.

All the best…

Welcome to Trucknet Markymark :smiley:

You want to do what?? :open_mouth: :laughing:

Can you earn a decent living from lgv driving?

You can earn a decent living from HGV driving, but the hours can be long and unsociable, however don’t take to much notice of those boards at the side of the road saying HGV drivers wanted £800 pw. They are from agencies trying to get drivers on thier books.

Is it a good job?
Would you recommend it?

You don’t half some tough questions
:laughing:
It can be a good job, but it also depends on getting the type of truck driving job that suits you.
Whether that be local work, Trunking or Tramping.

I understand that jobs are availiable when you obtain your license.

There are jobs, but it can be very difficult for a new driver to get that first job, especially if they’re under 25, but keep knocking on doors and normally you find somebody who’ll give you a chance.

Any more questions just ask and somebody will always try and answer. :wink:

Cheers for the replies fellas.

muckles:
Welcome to Trucknet Markymark :smiley:

Any more questions just ask and somebody will always try and answer. :wink:

Ok, next question :smiley:

What exactly is Tramping & Trunking?

Cheers

Markymark:

uk.geocities.com/zzar_bean/wmaz.html#T

Markymark:

A good question Markymark! I’m trying to learn this new language too as I’m planning on training for Cat C in the next few months.

MrFlibble:
http://uk.geocities.com/zzar_bean/wmaz.html#T

Excellent. The page is a godsend MrFlibble. You dont find this kind of info in the DSA “Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles” book. :confused:

Can anyone tell me if they give you training in using tachographs on your driver training, as I thought driver training vehicles where excempt from tacho regs? :question:

Can anyone tell me if they give you training in using tachographs on your driver training, as I thought driver training vehicles where excempt from tacho regs?

We were shown how to use the Tacho’s on both class C & C+E since the training school liked to have them as proof you had enough time behind the wheel. If you ask I would be surprised if they did not show you how to work them !!!

G

MrFlibble:

Markymark:

uk.geocities.com/zzar_bean/wmaz.html#T

That’s a great site, thanks for the link :slight_smile:

jonks:

Markymark:

A good question Markymark! I’m trying to learn this new language too as I’m planning on training for Cat C in the next few months.

MrFlibble:

Excellent. The page is a godsend MrFlibble. You dont find this kind of info in the DSA “Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles” book. :confused:

Because it was written by somebody who’s done it as opposed to a civil servant. :smiley:

jonks:
Can anyone tell me if they give you training in using tachographs on your driver training, as I thought driver training vehicles where excempt from tacho regs? :question:

Hopefully they will teach you, but if you have any questions, this will be the place to come. There are some people on this site who’ve swallowed the regs.

:wink:

Can anyone tell me if they give you training in using tachographs on your driver training, as I thought driver training vehicles where excempt from tacho regs?

It wouldnt normally be part of a course, but any decent instructor would talk you through it if you asked.
Driver training vehicles are excempt from EC drivers hours rules (AKA tacho regs) but nothing to stop you putting one in while you’re training, you’ll be able to see how it works then.

Thanks for that Gazzareth, Muckles & Dennisw1 :smiley:

I am itching to get on with the driver training but have still got my theory test to do. I have read the books cover to cover and practiced on the mock theory tests on the DSA website. I just have to book a date and book an assesment drive with the training school I’ve chosen (J Coates in Slough…any strong feelings on this company anyone?).

I’ll keep all informed.

jonks:
Thanks for that Gazzareth, Muckles & Dennisw1 :smiley:

I am itching to get on with the driver training but have still got my theory test to do. I have read the books cover to cover and practiced on the mock theory tests on the DSA website. I just have to book a date and book an assesment drive with the training school I’ve chosen (J Coates in Slough…any strong feelings on this company anyone?).

I’ll keep all informed.

I used J Coates in Leicester for my Cat C. Nothing but praise for them. :smiley:

Good luck :sunglasses:

Jonks
The training place may arrange every thing for you including the medical. The one i went to did, unfortunately I didn’t find out until it was too late but the medical would have been much cheaper through them. They should have a disc on which you can practice the hazard perception test as well. good luck

jonks:

MrFlibble:

You’re welcome, although you really should be thanking zzarbean.

jonks:

Not all schools do. Mine didn’t. I’m sure they’ll show you what to do if you ask - after all, you’re paying for the training…

Also, whilst the principles of using tachos remain the same (what to put in the centre field, when to change the disc, etc.), there are various different types of tachograph head out there, so you may find yourself having to ask someone to show you how to use the tacho even after you’ve passed. TBH, I’m never sure which way up to put the disc in the CD-style tachos… :unamused:

TBH, I’m never sure which way up to put the disc in the CD-style tachos…

Face up in the VDO ones. making sure you put the disk ‘under’ the small tansparent clip with the light in it. :wink:

MrFlibble:
TBH, I’m never sure which way up to put the disc in the CD-style tachos… :unamused:

Wax side up, as dennisw1 says and hooked under the clip. :wink:

Tacho Tip of the Day :wink: :smiley:

With the ‘CD Style’ tacho heads if in doubt about which way up the tacho goes pop a spare one in, close the drawer and then open the drawer and take it back out. Have a look at the face of the disc (waxy side with all the lines etc on it) because the machine draws a vertical line from the centre to the edge of disc each time the drawer is opened or closed, no line means you have it upside down. Insert new disc to record days activities. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: