Starting Advice

Hey, i’ve wanted to get into Class 1 driving for a long time. I’m now looking into my options and the pros and cons of a career change. If anyone has any advice, recommendations (training places etc), stories, and so on please share :slight_smile:

If it’s a career change, the first thing I’m thinking is how old are you? As in passed your car test pre 1997? That gives you a slightly easier route and an option to drive 7.5t without any test.
Would be good to know a bit more, what’s your driving history, what attracts you to driving for a living? Anything relevant that you do now for work?
Whereabouts are you?

stu675:
If it’s a career change, the first thing I’m thinking is how old are you? As in passed your car test pre 1997? That gives you a slightly easier route and an option to drive 7.5t without any test.
Would be good to know a bit more, what’s your driving history, what attracts you to driving for a living? Anything relevant that you do now for work?
Whereabouts are you?

I’m only 20 so would have to do the full thing. I passed my test about 2 years ago but have been around cars and trucks my whole life. I’ve always had a passion for artics. I work in a pub, restaurant, hotel as a Team Leader. Also, i’m currently living in Milton Keynes.

The forum sponsor might be worth a phone call :bulb:

ROG:
The forum sponsor might be worth a phone call :bulb:

Thank you!! :slight_smile:

One bit of advice if you do get your licence and want work would be to not neccessarily expect to get class 1 work straight away.

Your licence will also allow you to drive 7.5t and class 2 vehicles, it may be easier to get a start to build some experience / foot in the door with somewhere first.

There are some jobs in this scope that can pay very well too.

Just worth keeping an open mind on it.

Are there any firms you have in mind to work for in your local area?

Have you asked the question of them if they would consider a 20-year-old new pass?

If you go and do this kind of legwork you can almost have a job offer in hand when you go for training.

Advantages of driving might be the fact that it is steady work, you are out and about, and you are not involved in office politics.

Disadvantages of driving might be the fact that it is solitary, usually involves long hours and is very repetitive.

In terms of knowing what you are getting into, there are some extensive rules that you need to know and also it is a responsible job due to driving such a large heavy vehicle every day.

Noremac:
Are there any firms you have in mind to work for in your local area?

Have you asked the question of them if they would consider a 20-year-old new pass?

That it in a nutshell for me. Getting the entitlement would be the relatively easy part, getting someone to trust you to drive a 40 or 44 tonner, and for their insurance company to cover you, would be a different kettle of fish. Even years ago, new Class 2 passes were often given 7.5T work first to demonstrate they could be safe before going on to a proper HGV.

I can say for certain my haulage client would not employ another young-ish driver, not after the way the last one performed, multiple incidents of gross negligence in the space of a few weeks :open_mouth:

Anyone who wants to do the job, should just do it, but only with their eyes open and disregarding all the nonsense in the press.

On the plus side, though the solitary nature of the job does not suit everyone, when it does suit you it’s brilliant, being left to my own devices 99% of the time was ideal for me. Once you’ve got the initial experience you’ll be able to get work relatively easily and won’t have to stay with a job that’s getting you down, so there’s more more freedom in the role.

On the negative side, generally the industry does not treat drivers particularly well, pay and conditions can be very poor, haulage bosses attitude towards drivers can very poor indeed. Then there’s your “workmates” the average HGV driver is mid-50s & likes to complain a lot, so not great company for a young person.