Help needed, wannabe driver :-)

Hi all, thought id pop a post on here as I have many questions im sure you experienced people can help me with.

OK, little intro to my situation. I’m currently in IT, been doing this roll in one form or another for 10 years. But I have decided to follow my all time ambition, to drive an artic up and down the country and earn an honest living.

So far, I have done a 5 day class 2 course, and passed the test. I absolutely loved every moment learning to drive the class 2, and made me realise what I was letting myself in for. I have so much more respect for people driving large vehicles. I have also done a 2 day Driver introduction course, covering driving hours health n safety etc etc.

Now, I need help on what direction to go now. My initial thought was to simply find a class 2 job, leave my current full time job and drive, get experience, then go for class1 lessons and move on. Simple.

Turns out no-one wants someone with no experience, so here are my questions:

Do I start my class 1 lessons now, having only done 5 days before now in a class 2?

Do I leave my full time job, and hope to get temp work from an agency on class 2 for experience? I mean, is that really going to work, do people get temp work on the basis they simply have a cat C licence?

Finally, does anyone know any decent agencies around south east London (Croydon)?

Hope someone can help, I just want to move on and progress, but feel ive hit a brickwall L

Firstly congratulations on passing and don’t be despondant it is not all doom and gloom.

There will be a job for you somewhere if you stick with it, there are always people willing to take on new drivers its just that some people will want to pay crap money. Some companies may be happy to take you on as you will not have developed bad habits and can be taught to do things their way.

I was often getting offered full time work doing multidrop food deliveries into London, eventually not getting anywhere chasing other work I took it to get me started. There are probably quite a few companies around your area running rigids in and out of London.

Agencies are worth talking to, as they might be able to offer you a bit of weekend work, that’s how I got started. It took a little while but eventually someone needed a driver on a Friday night at a few hours notice and presumably I was a last resort to call. In the absence of a more experienced driver, they got me and the job got done. And asked me back the following night.

As for the Class 1, it is another big outlay that may pay dividend but may leave you with the same problem.

Best of luck with the job hunting, you’ll crack it in the end.

Thanks for that advice. I guess its all about getting that break. Weekend work seems like a good option if only to get experience.

I joined an agency in sutton, but soon as I explained I have no real experience they have kinda ignored me when ever I phone. Im going to keep positive, join a few more.

Thanks again, im all motivated now :slight_smile:

Hi Bacardie,

I’m sure there’s other agencies that’ll be willing to take you on. We all got to start somewhere!!

I worked the rigids for a couple of years and then went for the class 1. I guess it depends on your confidence. But I would certainly say that the more experience you have the more prepared you are for the class 1. Although nothing can prepare you for revrsing the things up!! :open_mouth:

Good luck!! :smiley:

I was lucky - the question was answered for me and I was made redundant. Did my class 2, went on the agencies and then class 1 a couple of months later. Other than straight after christmas I have never had a problem getting work…

Much better than piloting a PC !!

G

if it was me, i’d join an agency and do some weekend work, to gain experience, this could give you a lead to a permanent job.

you could always give your training school a ring, and see if they can recommend a few employers who are willing to take on newbies.

■■■■ this so is not going to be easy, just contacted a few agencies, both turned me down. They do not take anyone on without 2 years experience for insurance purposes. One guy was very helpful and apologetic, and there screaming out for drivers, but cos I don’t have the experience I don’t get on there books.

What with the impossible to understand working hours, and impossible to get experience, no wonder there is a shortfall of drivers out there.

Will keep trying.

The odd thing is, the guy who was learning along side me, drives busses and coaches for a living. But, my instructor said out of the two I was the better driver by a long shot. Prob because he had picked up habits. Whats the betting he already has a job driving as he has the experience. (Dont want to blow my own trumpet, sorry if that sounded arrogant).

Getting the first job is tough and always has been, people don’t really want to send a complete untried novice loose with £000’s of pounds of truck and load.
But most of us get a start when somebody really needs a driver, it’s just a question of knocking on loads of doors and just agencies.

Keep Trying and you will get there. :wink:

It’s just a matter of being in the right place at the right time + luck.

Having passed my Class 1 in the 70’s, and only having ‘moved’ not really driven, a couple of trucks in the intervening period, one day, looking for something extra, I called in at an agency. Having explained the 20+ year deficit, I was told that they would arrange for me to go out with someone the following week to be ‘shown the ropes’. A form of introductory assessment.

At 3.0pm the following day, the phone rings. “Did I fancy taking a rigid to…(four+ hours away)” But it has to be there by 10.0pm.(Which included collecting the vehicle, getting it loaded, etc.)

So, scurrying about, seeking something that resembled a Road Atlas, which also dated back to the 70’s, off I go, and with no information as to where to find the depot that I was delivering to.

2205 I pulled into the gate. “We’ve been waiting for you.” Was the greeting.

A few days later I was driving artics.

And that introductory assessment. I’m still waiting for it, seven years on. :slight_smile: