Deleted

Deleted

Examiners are not known for shouting at candidates, so that is quite unusual. And often after “a dangerous” you don’t need to ask to go back to the centre.

Personally I never thought these bootcamps were likely to be a great idea; Government organized training is rarely any good - who remembers the ET (extra tenner) schemes back in the early eighties?

These “bootcamps” are run by a training companies - note, not run by a driving school! The training company simply farm the truck training out to another source. You could have been lucky and been farmed out to a proper driving school, but it seems you were not. Quite likely to have been sent to one of the rubbish instructors so beloved of brokers.

Many years ago I did my Class 2 through a broker and got the crappiest instructor you could imagine. If I hadn’t had a lot of previous experience in 7.5T’ers (pre-1997 licence :smiley: ), I doubt I could have passed under his “tuition”, he spent most of his time messing around with the radio and being a Wendy: banging on about his harrowing military experiences - turned out he wasn’t even FT military, it was all about the TA, so a bit of a Walt it seemed :unamused: (thankfully he didn’t claim to have been one of those guys “on the balcony” :laughing: )

A buddy of mine works at a good driving school with a good reputation, they’ve recently “gotten into bed” with one of these training companies, so far the standard of candidates has been sooooooooooo poor that they have had to bring in training-on-a-simulator before letting these guys loose in a wagon on the roads.

Sorry to hear about your experience but take it as exactly that……experience, a learning curve.

Anything is possible, you will get there eventually….try not to stress just breathe and know you can and will do it :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that.

I didnt do bootcamp, and it still took me 8 months from sending off the the provisional to passing my Mod 4. Its the sheer amount of people who think they are gonna land a £50k+ plus 9-5!

You got fully-funded training and a funded test. You weren’t adequately aware of trailer cut-in when you were presented for test. This equals a fail. You get one more chance free of charge. Those are the facts, do what you will… that simple.

Folks that pay for the whole process themselves go in focussed because they know what is at stake. You could potentially come out several thousand pounds less out of pocket than them, so you are in a very good and fortunate position. What you do with the opportunity is up to you…

Deleted

DoubleW:

Noremac:
You got fully-funded training and a funded test. You weren’t adequately aware of trailer cut-in when you were presented for test. This equals a fail. You get one more chance free of charge. Those are the facts, do what you will… that simple.

Folks that pay for the whole process themselves go in focussed because they know what is at stake. You could potentially come out several thousand pounds less out of pocket than them, so you are in a very good and fortunate position. What you do with the opportunity is up to you…

I do agree with you. There is a difference between paying for a course yourself and having it funded for you. However, I was looking forward to it for months and I believe the quality of driving training and how you’re taught can make a big difference.

What do you advise?

Pay for quality training yourself. Pete Smythe Transport Training is known for providing excellent training.

Other than that, practice and study.
Your getting a freebie so you really can not complain. I personally paid over £3k others here paid even more.
It is like getting a free meal at a restaurant then complaining because the eggs are too well done.
But that is just me. I personally do not think the government should be funding this. It should be down to the Industry and the individual.

DoubleW:

Noremac:

I do agree with you. There is a difference between paying for a course yourself and having it funded for you. However, I was looking forward to it for months and I believe the quality of driving training and how you’re taught can make a big difference.

What do you advise?

Honestly, before I ever got in an artic, I was aware of the need to swing out. The first time I got in one, I noticed the cut-in on the first corner because I was looking in my mirror. Your instructor must have been telling you during your training, otherwise you would have been taking out pedestrians, street furniture and causing general mayhem.

Sorry to be harsh, but sometimes looking in the mirror is the answer. Just wanting to pass to get it over with isn’t enough, you need to walk the walk as they say.

YouTube is your friend. You obviously don’t have an artic to go out practicing in so the next best thing is absorbing as many real life videos as possible. There’s a cracking one by Truck Driver Hayley.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZkyiKpal8

It’s half an hour of superb information, in my (unqualified) opinion. I’m a class 2 driver but have my class 1 booked in later this year and I’m watching as many how to type vids as I can while also being mindful of needing to do things by the book.

Good luck, keep positive and you’ll get there.

Talking as someone who has recently been through the lows of failing and the highs of passing, failing is crap and it messes with your head but passing (and getting ROG’s fireworks) is worth it. First lesson then, is to digest your mistakes and failures, understand that they occurred because you haven’t had enough quality, supervised time on the road, and persevere.

As has been said, you didn’t fail because you hit the markers, you failed because you didn’t look in your mirrors enough. If you had been looking enough you would have corrected your positioning. I know you read it everywhere - mirrors mirrors mirrors - but it is so true. Instead of thinking “I’m going to slow down/speed up/turn, I must look in my mirrors” you should instinctively be looking so often that every slow down/speed up/turn is covered by your mirror checks because you are doing them so often. And think of it as a “scan” from left to right, taking in what’s in front too.

What you need to do to get to that point is up to you. (Start again with your training/try class2 first/go even smaller and start with vans? Whatever you decide, do your research into training schools). It took me a long time to a) look in my mirrors enough and b) understand what I was looking for/seeing, but I’m telling you, when it falls into place you will know it and feel it in your driving. Yes, there is a lot to think about, a lot of pennies to drop, but you want to deserve that pass don’t you? You don’t want it to be a fluke. So you need those pennies to drop and for it all to come together. Then you will feel ready to pass and deserving of it. And yes, I didn’t believe it either when people said “you will get it, you will pass eventually etc” because failing can mess with your head to the extent that you think you will never improve.

Good luck and I hope in a few short months you will be telling us how it’s all fallen into place.