Left turn advice - class 1

Look for some advice as I’ve got my test next week.

Attempted a left turn on a test route a few times. Only nailed it once. Not hitting the kerb but traffic is causing me issues.

It’s a crossroad. So approaching the left turn, it’s traffic lights straight on or right but left doesn’t. So basically on turning left you need pretty much most of the oncoming traffics lane on exiting to get around.
Instructor told me to position myself at line and creep forward waiting for chance to pull out. However every time there is traffic coming.
I did it yesterday as I waited for a gap and pushed out and a car in distance stopped and allowed me space. However today it was constant so I waited. However instructor said I need to show I need to get out of else no one will stop. So I crept forward, first car came to end of junction and their light went red. The others stopped further back, noticing me struggling. That first car at the front at the lights was blocking my space. Because I creeped forwards I’m now blocking all lanes and would probably fail here.
Apparently it’s a tough turn. I just wanted some advice because I reckon this could cause me to fail.

Have you got a google map street view link or can you state what road you are in and turning left into please :question:

It’s with PSTT.

Station road turning onto Coxmoor road.
I’ve attached photo

Station road :question: :question: :question:

My bad it’s Newark road B6022. Sutton in Ashfield.

Do you mean 6022 turning left onto 6139 :question:

Looking at that on street view it seems that you would need to split the lanes on approach to avoid mounting left kerb and to keep from going into oncoming traffic
Your o/s trailer wheels would then be tight to the right kerb as you turned left

So I’ve been told not to as there is a raised kerb section to my right with a bollard so I have to come forward and tight to that and turn hard left at the minute. It’s so bloody awkward. Been told I basically need to creep out to stop traffic. I’ve managed to do it unscathed but relying on considerate oncoming traffic.

Because if I split then I would still need their side of the road as it’s that tight.

Tlgamble:
So I’ve been told not to as there is a raised kerb section to my right with a bollard so I have to come forward and tight to that and turn hard left at the minute. It’s so bloody awkward. Been told I basically need to creep out to stop traffic. I’ve managed to do it unscathed but relying on considerate oncoming traffic.

I will not say different to your instructor as they are there in the real life situation

So you’re turning left onto Coxmoor road off Newark Road.

I think I’d take centre of both lanes on approach towards the lights indicating left leaving not enough room for someone down my left side, then start the left turn down the filter lane in real life to get the best position for turning left allowing the trailer to clear the kerb personally. And yes if you still can’t make the turn then inch towards the centre white line to show your intent to any traffic approaching the right turn lane to hold back and give you the room you need to manoeuvre.

It could be it’s entirely possible to turn left in the left turn lane only but again without going there myself I would not like to judge that based on a photo from Google maps. Which is what I think you are alluding to. But you have to edge up to the white lines and wait for traffic coming into the right turn lane to hold back to allow you to make your turn.

That’s just from me looking at it on Google maps, I probably have done that turn when I did my C+E with PSTT even possibly on my test.

But they are excellent instructors at PSTT and certainly would not steer you wrong so listen to them and attack it however they have taught you to. You might not even do that turn on your test so could be worrying over nothing.

You have to show your intent to other drivers and persuade them to give you the room you need. If not you won’t go anywhere a lot of the time.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Actually looking closer at the aerial view it looks entirely possible to turn left in the left hand lane as you have described without splitting the lanes before hand, but you would have to wait for any traffic approaching the junction to turn right to hold back to let you complete your manoeuvre encroaching onto the wrong side of the road as you complete the turn.

But as Rog says do whatever your instructor is telling you.

Firstly, many apologies for not seeing this and responding more quickly. I’ve been in hospital for a knee replacement (twice as it went wrong the first time) and been out of action. Sympathy welcome haha.

I can confirm that your instructor’s advice is correct, provided that the traffic from your left isn’t a continuous stream. That’s when it gets dodgy to move forward. When there’s spaces, as there normally is apart from peak times, it works 99% of the time.

It is absolutely impossible to complete the turn, keeping off the kerb, any other way with a full size artic. There is no real benefit in splitting the lanes on approach because of the position of the bollard.

IMO it’s the most difficult turn to ever crop up on PSTT test routes. And it happens not too often.

Hope this might help, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
IMO it’s the most difficult turn to ever crop up on PSTT test routes.

Perhaps this could be discussed with the examiners :bulb: :question:

I had something very similar on a Gloucester test route and after the examiners and myself discussed it they decided to remove it from the test routes

Yes ROG. But it’s perfectly possible to complete the turn without issues. And provided all reasonable care is taken, the examiners are very fair.
Where there have been other instances close to impossible, I’ve had them removed.

Pete

I don’t know the size of the trailer your on but it looks perfectly normal with a do-able 40ft tandem.

simcor:
So you’re turning left onto Coxmoor road off Newark Road.

I think I’d take centre of both lanes on approach towards the lights indicating left leaving not enough room for someone down my left side, then start the left turn down the filter lane in real life to get the best position for turning left allowing the trailer to clear the kerb personally. And yes if you still can’t make the turn then inch towards the centre white line to show your intent to any traffic approaching the right turn lane to hold back and give you the room you need to manoeuvre.

It could be it’s entirely possible to turn left in the left turn lane only but again without going there myself I would not like to judge that based on a photo from Google maps. Which is what I think you are alluding to. But you have to edge up to the white lines and wait for traffic coming into the right turn lane to hold back to allow you to make your turn.

That’s just from me looking at it on Google maps, I probably have done that turn when I did my C+E with PSTT even possibly on my test.

But they are excellent instructors at PSTT and certainly would not steer you wrong so listen to them and attack it however they have taught you to. You might not even do that turn on your test so could be worrying over nothing.

You have to show your intent to other drivers and persuade them to give you the room you need. If not you won’t go anywhere a lot of the time.

Simcor time flys doesn’t it. You done your class 1 same time I was doing my Class 2 I seem to remember up at Pete’s place.

ValleysTrucker:
Simcor time flys doesn’t it. You done your class 1 same time I was doing my Class 2 I seem to remember up at Pete’s place.

Yep times does fly. 4th July 2016 was my test date.

adam277:
I don’t know the size of the trailer your on but it looks perfectly normal with a do-able 40ft tandem.

PSTT use full size triaxle trailers.