Over 73 and not needing C1 category on License

Hi Guys

Totally new on here and have come on here for your advice. I am 73 years old and coming on to 74. Up until a few months ago I had a 4 tonne motorhome and had driven all over Europe in it until Covid struck.

A few months ago we changed our van to a 3.5 ton van which can be driven on an ordinary car licence. My license is up for renewal and I can’t renew it online because to renew my licence which has C1 and D1 categories I would need a medical hence why it won’t allow me to renew online.

I got some forms to renew driving licences from the post office yesterday but they don’t have a question box asking if you wish to keep those categories which keep my license to 3.5 - 7.5 ton, which, to be honest, I don’t.

Do you know of a form that I can download to fill in that will renew my license but without those extra categories ie to renew as an ordinary car license?

I’ve tried ringing DVLA but they are useless and do not answer.

Thak you in advance for any help you can give :slight_smile:

You don’t need a special form if you’re not renewing the cat C1 category, just fill in the usual car licence renewal form (D1 or D2 I can’t remember) and the cat C1 and D1 will automatically be removed from your new licence.

As you say to renew your cat C1 category you would need to have a HGV medical and complete form D4, without that your licence will automatically revert an ordinary car licence.

By the way, as I’m over 70 and didn’t need any HGV categories to be renewed I’ve gone through this process myself without any problems :wink:

edit: It may be a good idea to check the expiry date on your licence for category B (car licence), this would have been renewed when you was 73 and lasts for 3 years, it’s only HGV/PCV categories that need renewing every year, if your licence category B is good for another 2 years you can forget the renewal until then, the back of your licence will show different expiry dates for category B and C1.

Thanks for that tachograph :smiley:

I’ve just looked at the back of the current license and all categories end on 22 March this year :unamused:

Anyway I’ll now fill in a form and see what happens :slight_smile:

tachograph:
You don’t need a special form if you’re not renewing the cat C1 category, just fill in the usual car licence renewal form (D1 or D2 I can’t remember) and the cat C1 and D1 will automatically be removed from your new licence.

As you say to renew your cat C1 category you would need to have a HGV medical and complete form D4, without that your licence will automatically revert an ordinary car licence.

By the way, as I’m over 70 and didn’t need any HGV categories to be renewed I’ve gone through this process myself without any problems :wink:

edit: It may be a good idea to check the expiry date on your licence for category A (car licence), this would have been renewed when you was 73 and lasts for 3 years, it’s only HGV/PCV categories that need renewing every year, if your licence category A is good for another 2 years you can forget the renewal until then, the back of your licence will show different expiry dates for category A and C1.

Just to say he means B for cars, as A is bikes.

stu675:
Just to say he means B for cars, as A is bikes.

Oops that’s my bad :blush:

I’ve no idea what I was thinking of but yes I meant category B not A.

I’ll edit the post to avoid causing confusion.

Thanks for correcting my mistake :wink: