Over 70

I am almost 70 and applied to renew my license. The only category I didn’t have was PCV. My license came with A B B1 and BE. After taking advice I was told that if I want all of my previous categories I have to undergo a medical. The question I would like someone to answer please is:- If I pass my 70th birthday, can I get my licence cats back if I take a medical say in a years time. The only reason I may need them is because a may buy a 3.3t plus motorhome also it is frustrating to lose my cats. I paid for my Class 1 course with my £80 redundancy money.

You’ll only lose them if you fail the medical just as you would if you were over 40’s.

Download and print the D4 form, then find a doc to complete it.

gov.uk/government/publicati … ng-licence

Better to get someone like D4Drivers to do it rather than your doc as they are massively cheaper and can usually for the eye sight bit (double check on web site for your local option).

d4drivers.uk/

Only trouble is, over 65 you need to do it every year to keep your C1, C etc.

Thanks for the replies. What I would like to know is:- Lets say I left it for a year and then got a medical, would they reinstate my cats if I needed them.
Great site. It’s nice to talk to people who know so much.

I don’t think that you need any thing other than your car licence to drive your own motor home. If you have no intention of being paid for driving then you are good to go.

alamcculloch:
I don’t think that you need any thing other than your car licence to drive your own motor home. If you have no intention of being paid for driving then you are good to go.

If over 7.5t MAM (max allowed weight) a cat C (old HGV 3) is required.
Edit to add.
3.5 to 7.5 need a B1 cat licence. Anyone passing on a car test today (since 1997) get a a cat B. Only OK up to 3.5t.

BULLDOG WINEPRESS:
Thanks for the replies. What I would like to know is:- Lets say I left it for a year and then got a medical, would they reinstate my cats if I needed them.

That should be no problem.
Once you are qualified to drive any class, then (unless naughty and banned) it is a permanent qualification.
But I seem remember some posts about classes “dropping off”, so maybe keep details of your existing licence and a photocopy, just in case.

Thanks Franglais,

I have got my old license but have been asked to cut it in half and send it back. People have said DVLA do not accept photocopies as they can be altered.
I think I’ll just keep my old license as proof. I can’t ask DVLA the question at the moment as they are only accepting inquiries from key workers. It’s great that people are taking the time to post. Thank you again. Regards Bulldog

As I understand it, you retain your existing C1/C/C+E entitlements, but if you want to actually use them you will need to do the D4 medical thing (which will expire after 12 months). However, this changes if your regular car licence is curtailed for medical reasons. If that happens, my understanding is that you will permanently lose whatever C1/C/C+E entitlements you had previously as the restricted licence they issue won’t have those groups on it.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

BULLDOG WINEPRESS:

You never lose them.
They are though subject to the required medicals.If the medical is required you get them back as soon as you’ve provided the required medical report IE the entitlement is permanent subject to medicals.

As the O.P. is nearing 70 its safe to assume that he has had his car licence from waaaay back. He mentioned a 3.3 tonner for a motor home he can drive this and pull a trailer without going over 7.5. tons. His C+E would go into abeyance until he does a medical which he doesn’t really need unless he gets involved in commercial activities which opens up the DCPC can of worms.

Sorry if this isn’t exactly relevant but hope it helps.
I’m now 65 and also held all classes LGV/PCV etc and did not renew the LGV and PCV element, I now have AM/A/B1/B/C1/D1/BE/C1E/D1E still on my current licence. Not sure which you’d need.
good luck

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you replies and info. When my license came back it had all the categories taken off except A, A1, B1, B and BE. You can now check your license details on line by entering your NI and Licence no. It states on mine that I can drive a 3.5t Gross Weight vehicle with a 3.5t Gross Weight trailer. What concerns me is that all those categories do not appear. On my old license it stated the date when my license (CE and C) expired because a medical was needed but now they do not appear. D1 and DE have been excluded as well. Thanks again for the replies Regards Bulldog

Your C1 (rigid 3.5t to 7.5t) and C1E (combination up to 8.25t) that were given as grandfather rights with your original car licence expire when the car licence expires, at age 70, unless you get a D4 medical. (Just to edit, a medical only, no test, the driving “qualification” stays valid). Like someone said above, you will be have to do it every year though, which could be a PITA. I think the option is now on the renewal form to say you are not returning the old licence for various reasons. I have left my Class C & E without renewing before, then been issued with a new licence without them on and a year later put in a D4 and had them put back on with no fuss. I have had stories of people having more difficulty than that though so keeping the original / a scan / photocopy is definitely a good idea.
If you could get away with a sub 3.5t motorhome it would be a lot less hassle. I think what most people do is get a 4t one, downrate it and then just ignore the rules ? :laughing: A la horsebox fraternity :laughing: Not that I am even suggesting you should do that :unamused:

Thanks Manski, Very helpful. Cheers Bulldog