Tacho

Hi everyone,

I’m really really worried….I have my practical training week and test in the next few weeks (24th) BUT I have not ordered my tacho yet. Do I need this to take to the training week or can I order it before or after? Im with Peter smythe and reallyyyyy panicking of cocking up before iv even got there :unamused:

I’m willing to be corrected but as I understand it you don’t need it for training. Just get it ordered pronto as when you pass you’ll need it to drive professionally. Good luck with your training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiddo:
I’m willing to be corrected but as I understand it you don’t need it for training. Just get it ordered pronto as when you pass you’ll need it to drive professionally. Good luck with your training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah thankyou for confirming that, am starting to get them early nerves lol fingers crossed il be one of them early year passes!

LGV training vehicles are tacho exempt

ROG:

I thought they were but worried incase I was wrong, why are they exempt?

Lou88:

ROG:

It is a specific exemption of the EU rules in the UK. The rules don’t say the exact reasoning, but I suspect that it is mainly the fact that no goods or people are being delivered or collected. You may have a load on for the sake of realism (maybe large water containers), but that isn’t the same as delivering or collecting goods.

Noremac:

Lou88:

ROG:

It is a specific exemption of the EU rules in the UK. The rules don’t say the exact reasoning, but I suspect that it is mainly the fact that no goods or people are being delivered or collected. You may have a load on for the sake of realism (maybe large water containers), but that isn’t the same as delivering or collecting goods.

Yep def makes sense but….still odd that it hasn’t got a clear reason. My friend has recently passed (and is now working) as a coach driver, he was adamant the tacho was needed but then it’s diff rules and regs if I’m correct in saying so.

Lou88:

Noremac:

Lou88:

ROG:

Yep def makes sense but….still odd that it hasn’t got a clear reason. My friend has recently passed (and is now working) as a coach driver, he was adamant the tacho was needed but then it’s diff rules and regs if I’m correct in saying so.

Effectively the exemption is the same. If for some reason a company decided to hire or employ a driving instructor and in the course of providing training, goods or people were delivered or collected, then the exemption wouldn’t apply.

Noremac:
You may have a load on for the sake of realism (maybe large water containers), but that isn’t the same as delivering or collecting goods.

gov.uk/guidance/guidance-fo … hicle-test

Category C
MAM* 12 tonnes Cargo compartment: Closed box construction at least as wide and as high as the cab.
RTM** 10 tonnes
Load Requirement: Five 1000 litre IBCs
Tacho: Yes
RTM** Real Total Mass = the actual weight of the vehicle or trailer or vehicle/trailer combination when presented for test

… so a load IS required (5 tons in the case of a rigid; 8 tons in the case of an artic; 5 tons in the rigid and 3 tons in the trailer if doing drawbar).

It also needs to be fitted with a tacho, but it isn’t used (at least the way PSTT are training).

Training vehicles do have to have be loaded with weight as stated above but didn’t use to be the case. They used to be used empty and also used to be able to have flatbed bodies.

They are tacho exempt as they are training vehicles, same as they are exempt from various other things like service inspections .

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk