Using tacho while refreshing

Ive recently signed onto an Agency that despite my age has basically promised me work through Royal Mail in the near future (not holding my breath though). Since its been nearly a good 3 months since i past my artic im thinking of going back to the driving school for a good couple of hours refresher driving, reversing onto bays etc etc just to keep my eye in, as im sure i will be assesed where ever i go and dont want to jump in rusty. I have never had any tacho training although i know all the rules and regs i havent inserted my digi card in a truck yet, (the old paper ones im ok with).

If i go on this refresher course could i pop it in and drive around the yard reversing then out on the road etc, does the law stay the same even tho im driving in a L plated vehicle?? This is all asuming they even have a reel of paper inserted :confused:

Exempt tacho regs for what you are doing in the circumstances you are doing it in.

If it does have a digi - get some practice in :bulb: - make sure you select OUT OF SCOPE.

had a feeling you would reply first Rog :wink: thanks alot mate i’ll make sure to set it as that. :grimacing:

ROG:
Exempt tacho regs for what you are doing in the circumstances you are doing it in.

If it does have a digi - get some practice in :bulb: - make sure you select OUT OF SCOPE.

Not sure why he should need to do that really - maybe you could explain to him how to do it as well, Rog?

If it does have a digi - get some practice in

Smart Mart:
Not sure why he should need to do that really

FarnboroughBoy11:
i havent inserted my digi card in a truck yet

:slight_smile:

ROG:
If it does have a digi - get some practice in

Smart Mart:
Not sure why he should need to do that really

FarnboroughBoy11:
i havent inserted my digi card in a truck yet

:slight_smile:

Err, I think Smart Mart was referring to the Out Of SCOPE thing, the bit you didn’t quote in this reply along with “maybe you could explain to him how to do it as well, Rog?” which was kinda the clue as to what he was getting at. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:
Err, I think Smart Mart was referring to the Out Of SCOPE thing, the bit you didn’t quote in this reply along with “maybe you could explain to him how to do it as well, Rog?” which was kinda the clue as to what he was getting at.

I have seen on this site that there is an ‘OUT OF SCOPE’ facility on a digi - perhaps I am wrong?
As I’ve never used a digi perhaps your good self (as you have plenty of experience on this) could explain HOW to do so in this situation? :bulb:

Yes there is an Out of Scope facility on the Digi but I personally wouldn’t bother using it in this situation. If he wants to learn how to use it in day to day work then far better to just use it normally,

Coffeeholic:
Yes there is an Out of Scope facility on the Digi but I personally wouldn’t bother using it in this situation. If he wants to learn how to use it in day to day work then far better to just use it normally,

would using it normally be regarded as being used IN SCOPE when this situation is out of scope?

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

would using it normally be regarded as being used IN SCOPE when this situation is out of scope?

Yes, but that isn’t a problem. While you would be in trouble for not using a tacho when one is required you wouldn’t be in trouble for using one when it isn’t required.

I am not convinced this would come under Out of Scope anyway. the derogation is for -

Vehicles used for driving instruction and examination with a view to obtaining a driving licence or a certificate Professional Competence (CPC).

He already has a licence and isn’t using it to obtain a CPC. He is simply getting in a bit of practice so maybe use of the tacho is required, I don’t know but using it can’t hurt and will be a benefit to him anyway. In all likelihood the ‘L’ plates won’t even be on the vehicle as he isn’t learning.

There could well be another derogation which applies but I can’t be arsed looking it up when he wants to learn how to use a digi it makes sense to use it in a ‘normal’ manner.

Coffeeholic:
I am not convinced this would come under Out of Scope anyway. the derogation is for -

Vehicles used for driving instruction and examination with a view to obtaining a driving licence or a certificate Professional Competence (CPC).

We discussed this here :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
In all likelihood the ‘L’ plates won’t even be on the vehicle as he isn’t learning.

I’d have thought they’d leave them on tbh. The reason I mentioned it is because if they do it won’t be illegal even though a full licence is held (for those not aware :slight_smile: )

mrpj:

Coffeeholic:
In all likelihood the ‘L’ plates won’t even be on the vehicle as he isn’t learning.

I’d have thought they’d leave them on tbh. The reason I mentioned it is because if they do it won’t be illegal even though a full licence is held (for those not aware :slight_smile: )

Yep, it wouldn’t be illegal to leave them on so it just depends on the instructor on the day.

It is legal to leave L plates on any vehicle - there is no law to stop anyone.

It is RECOMMENDED that they be removed

The displaying of L plates MAY be taken into consideration if it was deemed that they contributed in some way to an incident

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

We discussed this here :smiley:

Yeah, I remember that, I just couldn’t be arsed searching for it and I couldn’t remember what old ■■■■■■■■ I came out with on that occasion. I don’t always give the same answer to the same question, sometimes I give different answers to stop getting bored and I can have a bit of fun spotting when you have copied one of my wrong answers and posted it on another forum claiming it as your own. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: (I’ve seen that on a few occasions) :wink:

Coffeeholic:
copied one of my wrong answers and posted it on another forum claiming it as your own.

If I have done such a thing without attributing the answer to who wrote it then I apologise - dashed bad form that!!

The answer you gave on that old thread was correct according to VOSA - I did have an old e-mail to that effect and I thought I had posted it on here somewhere…

so i might aswell use the digi as if i would on a job then?? im probably only gonna book 4 hours anyway.

Also on the digi types, are they all the same?? for e.g a siemens might have Driving/other work, all on one mode where it would record when i stop automatically to say load/unload. Where as another make could be a mode for just driving and a seperate mode which i would have to activate for “other work”■■

Cheers for your help :smiley:

FarnboroughBoy11:
so i might aswell use the digi as if i would on a job then??

If you use a driver card unless you have a good reason to want to keep your driving time down I see no reason to use out of scope on the refresher course, it will only confuse you when you need to be concentrating on the driving.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Also on the digi types, are they all the same??

All digital tachographs will automatically change to “Drive” mode when you start driving and revert to “other work” when you stop driving, the only real difference is how you scroll through the menu.
Also some digital tachograph will change to “Other Work” when you switch the ignition off whilst some will change to “Rest” but this is not make/model specific it’s down to how the company have had it programmed.

Here you go FarnboroughBoy11 have a read of these.

Digital Tachographs - How to use them - Printable download

DRIVERS SHORT OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS — DTCO 1381

Stoneridge Digital Tachograph - SE5000 user manual. (PDF)

The digital tachograph simulator

Digital Tachograph Simulator Direct Downloads
Install “Interactive Digital Tachograph Simulator” first, then either or all of the training sequences.

Interactive Digital Tachograph Simulator v4.exe

Training sequences for the Actia tachograph (V 4.0)

Training sequences for the Siemens tachograph (V 4.0)

Training sequences for the Stoneridge tachograph (V 4.0)

Juist a. Reading this would the truck have a digital tachograph as it mite not most taining schools only older trucks

delboytwo:
Juist a. Reading this would the truck have a digital tachograph as it mite not most taining schools only older trucks

Could be either Del - plenty of schools these days with digi trucks