Young female newbie advice

Hello!
First time on a forum and happy I found it. Passed my Class 1 in May.
I’ve never done a driving job before and currently applying for 2s and 1s but I’m just a little nervous…

Anyone (espec women) got any advice on what to go for/not to go for? I know it shouldn’t make a difference but I’m quite petit and equipment isn’t always perfect.

Also, as a general rule, do big companies (e.g. aldi) give good training to newbies to get to know the vehicle, how to load etc. Or should I start at an agency first to get range of experience?

Thanks in advance!
Scruff

If you can get fridge work it’s ■■■■ easy physically. The worst you’ll ever need to do with a load is wheel it to the back of the trailer with a pump truck for a waiting forklift. If you deliver to lidl or aldi it’s self tip but the pallet trucks are electric, and most places it’s just back on the bay and let the warehouse folks work their magic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you’ve just passed I would go for some class 1 trunking stuff. Mostly depot to depot, so relatively easy with trailer swaps- occasionally tip. Some boxes some curtainsiders, an eclectic mix very often.

This will gain you lots of valuable experience. Store deliveries can be bloody awkward with dodgily parked vehicles in your way.

The only downside is a lot of trunking is nightshift stuff so you need to be okay with this. The other small issue is roads tend to be closed at night time so you’ll need to reckon on dealing with a few closures here and there.

The money is currently very good on night trunks. I’ve just turned down 16 quid an hour as a paltry offering. 20 quid plus is easily doable. This is agency stuff. If you’re after a full time job (and you’re likely to receive more training here, you’ll get zilch through agency as a rule) you’ll earn less but training will be much more likely. Well, if it’s a half decent company.

At the mo. places are desperate for anyone with a class 1 so you can afford to be picky, even as a new pass.

PM me if you need to know anything else. I tend to only do trunking as it’s ■■■■ easy work and well paid. Less interaction with the human race too - which suits me but may not you!!

Good luck whatever you decide to do! [emoji108][emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ScruffGirl:
Hello!
First time on a forum and happy I found it. Passed my Class 1 in May.
I’ve never done a driving job before and currently applying for 2s and 1s but I’m just a little nervous…

Anyone (espec women) got any advice on what to go for/not to go for? I know it shouldn’t make a difference but I’m quite petit and equipment isn’t always perfect.

Also, as a general rule, do big companies (e.g. aldi) give good training to newbies to get to know the vehicle, how to load etc. Or should I start at an agency first to get range of experience?

Thanks in advance!
Scruff

DHL Dunelm is a good bet.
They’ll take new drivers and take you through everything.
It’s a mix of store deliveries and collections. So long as you can use a pump truck it’s nothing too strenuous.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

If you go with one of the big companies, such as DHL, expect not only a driving assessment, but also a theory assessment. I sat an assessment for DHL as part of their involvement with running the driving for Argos (in 2018). Quite challenging, make sure you’re on the ball with Drivers Hours and WTD/RTD stuff. Royal Mail appear to be running a zero tolerance policy with their drivers on DH/WTD issues.

Fridge or container work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
can’t offer any advice myself, but there is a young women quite prominent on social media who has been driving class 2 for a couple of years and has recently passed class 1. Check out ‘Truck Driver Hayley’. She comes across as being approachable and down to earth. I wouldn’t be surprised if she could make some helpful suggestions, if you contacted her.

Good Luck

DS

How petite as I am 4’10" been driving for a number of years done most things ( via agency ) but I do prefer fridge work depends where you live to what is around

Fridge nice easy clean work for me was mainly 1 hit although I was away all week so depends what you want

But just go for it try some agency work to see what you like best while you gain experience then go for full time when you have decided what you want out of driving

In my experience big companies that like words such as ‘logistics, solutions, corporate, KPI’ will show a full time how to operate all their equipment. Small firms not so much, and anything agency they just presume you know what your doing. I’ve always found other drivers helpfull when I was new and didn’t have a clue.

As far as work goes I wouldn’t let a lack of size and strength put you off anything, theres not much in this job that requires brute force, unless it’s broken.

Hardest physical work to avoid would be tipping your self with removals, cages, non electric pump truck on trail lifts.

■■■■ Small:
Hello,
can’t offer any advice myself, but there is a young women quite prominent on social media who has been driving class 2 for a couple of years and has recently passed class 1. Check out ‘Truck Driver Hayley’. She comes across as being approachable and down to earth. I wouldn’t be surprised if she could make some helpful suggestions, if you contacted her.

Good Luck

DS

Can’t answer directly as I’m not qualified yet but another +1 for Truck Driver Hayley. Lots of videos on her channel going through from when she started learning to being on the job in both Class 1&2. I also found Happiness by the Mile a good watch too, tho Shelby is in the US, and a lot doesn’t apply but still interesting and fun to see how female truckers are doing it across the pond.

Try Lena Trucker , very happy and bubbly lady and done few different driving jobs …youtube.com/c/LenaTrucker

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk