Another noob seeking advice

Hello everyone :slight_smile: I’m a recently qualified class 2 driver seeking advice on which agencies or firms to hit up in the Bucks/Berks area, that are willing to give a total noob with zero experience, a break.

I have absolutely no commercial driving experience, and am finding that even agencies are reluctant to take on anyone that doesn’t have at least 6 months of van, 3.5, or 7.5 experience.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chef Direct in Didcot are usually looking for drivers, it’s hard work but the drivers I speak to seem happy enough.

01235 707600

Cheers, but that’s a bit too out of the way for me. Ideally I’m looking for something around the high wycombe and slough area. I did consider Bidvest,Chef direct and the like, but having a dodgy back from a herniated disc a few years ago and hearing the horror stories, put me off applying.

I’ll consider pretty much anything, and don’t wanna lmit myself, but I’ve gotta be careful and from what I’ve seen and heard, I probably wouldn’t last 5 mins.

I know I’m at the bottom of the barrel, and can’t afford to be picky, but is it possible to avoid those type of jobs, or should I just take what I can get and hopefully not destroy my back?

I’m keen to hear from anyone who’s in that line of work.

DingDing:
should I just take what I can get and hopefully not destroy my back?

Best of luck with that, as that may not be easy as a class 2 Newbie…

I can only speak from my experience on 2 days of food service before choosing pallet, and then seeing the light and getting a class 1.
So other than the advice of going class 1 if your back is bad, I’d still suggest pallets, as overall it’s more about working smarter and not harder.
With food service you will be be either ■■■■■■■, dragging, stacking for a lot of it most of the time. Whilst a lot of pallets on class 2 do have to come off the tail lift, but it’s generally a kerbside delivery! :smiley: And if they are asking the earth, you say; I’ve a bad back, so I’m limited on what i can do. Do you want it or not? :stuck_out_tongue:

As with all gigs, they get easier once you learn the EASY way of doing things, and I actually enjoyed a bit of activity, as 12-16 drops and collections to break up the day made it fly by… I miss that now that I’m doing 4+ hour drives bored out my tree. Plus I’m getting fat! :open_mouth:

DingDing:
Hello everyone :slight_smile: I’m a recently qualified class 2 driver seeking advice on which agencies or firms to hit up in the Bucks/Berks area, that are willing to give a total noob with zero experience, a break.

I have absolutely no commercial driving experience, and am finding that even agencies are reluctant to take on anyone that doesn’t have at least 6 months of van, 3.5, or 7.5 experience.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sign up with as many agencies as you can, I’m signed up with 4 now and one of 4 normally calls me needing a driver, i’m a new pass driver too with no previous experience.

Apply for the companies known for giving new drivers a shot (Bidvest, Brakes, P & H, Palletline) Send a CV and take a lot time writing a good cover letter tailor made for each company, making it clear you know a lot about the company your applying for and your passionate about what their goals are.
Other posters often will give advice of visiting companies in person, and asking for transport manager, this didn’t work in my experience I was just hurried out, and in some cases the transport manager was annoyed as his day was busy enough.
However I agree with the concept behind it, you need to stand out.

I recently passed my class C too. I thought that as a very experienced PCV licence holder I’d at least have a slight advantage over other noobies when applying for jobs.
This doesn’t appear to be the case but an agency in Worcester has given me a start driving a refuse truck. I begin next Monday. Not really what I would like to be doing but I’m very grateful for the opportunity. The pay isn’t great ( £9 per hour ) but is a fair improvement on my present job ( £7.50 per hour ! )
There will be some physical work if I want to do it and finish earlier but I’ll have 2 loaders helping me so I don’t expect to be in and out of the cab all day.
I might actually enjoy it and finishing between 14:30 and 16:00 in the summer will be a bonus too.
Good luck in your search for work. You probably have more options in your part of the world than there are out here in the sticks.

Its all about experience. Just by having 6 months is better than nowt and more employers will look at you.

fernando:
I recently passed my class C too. I thought that as a very experienced PCV licence holder I’d at least have a slight advantage over other noobies when applying for jobs.
This doesn’t appear to be the case but an agency in Worcester has given me a start driving a refuse truck. I begin next Monday. Not really what I would like to be doing but I’m very grateful for the opportunity. The pay isn’t great ( £9 per hour ) but is a fair improvement on my present job ( £7.50 per hour ! )
There will be some physical work if I want to do it and finish earlier but I’ll have 2 loaders helping me so I don’t expect to be in and out of the cab all day.
I might actually enjoy it and finishing between 14:30 and 16:00 in the summer will be a bonus too.
Good luck in your search for work. You probably have more options in your part of the world than there are out here in the sticks.

Looks like you’ll never get away from them Dennis’s then if going on dustcarts :wink:
Probably not the best paying jobs, but certainly better hours wise if lucky you’ll be done my 3-4pm good if got young family etc.
And in the OP’s case not a bad job if you’ve got a bad back or try Skip and tipper work?

RB84:

fernando:

Looks like you’ll never get away from them Dennis’s then if going on dustcarts :wink:
Probably not the best paying jobs, but certainly better hours wise if lucky you’ll be done my 3-4pm good if got young family etc.
And in the OP’s case not a bad job if you’ve got a bad back or try Skip and tipper work?

No the pesky things have followed me around for about 20 years now. I went to the yard today and its an all Dennis fleet.
One day I might rise to the dizzy heights of driving a Daf or Iveco but am not holding my breath.