Hello all :-)

I always found this board helpful when I was starting out, I was a class 1 until a few years ago, but ultimately left the industry for another path. I wanted to return the favour as thanks for the advice I was given.

There IS A driver shortage right now, at least in Leicestershire. I’m getting hit with a ridiculous amount of email about it (in fact I was googling the driver shortage when I came across this board from my dim and dusty past.)

When I go to the supermarket, I see baron shelves and I have to chuckle to myself.

Today, qs recruitment offered me £20 an hour for class one with a £150 weekly bonus for turning up 5 days a week. And that’s typical of the rates (the bonus is a new bit, haven’t seen that before!) another story (perhaps to be taken with a pinch of salt, but who knows?) is that a driver made £85 an hour last year delivering strawberries to Wimbledon!!! I personally don’t believe that one, but they were advertising stupid money for it last year, so who knows?

Agency is still the best way to get a quick start and varied experience. But remember guys, you have the upper hand right now, it’s a seller’s market. Realise that you have the advantage!

Whilst the money sounds good be aware chaps and girls that just as things go up they can come crashing back down.
The govt lead as it apparently is by candle in the wind Johnson will be under immense pressure from those in charge (he isn’t) to sort this driver shortage in short order, how they’ll do it is open to debate.

My advise for what its worth, is by all means take advantage of high agency pay if you are starting out or maybe work for some third rate outfit with rubbish pay and conditions, a job you could replace any dasy of the week and not fail to better, but if you have a decent full time job think very carefully before quitting to go agency or even short term money chasing, this driver shortage could last 6 months or 5 years, i’d very surprised if it lasts as long as 2 years personally.
Not trying to ■■■■ on anyones chips here, just think hard before you do anything rash.

My question would be -
Are new passes being offered full time permanent jobs almost immediately :question:

I could be wrong, but would not surprise me in the slighest if this was via agency umbrella operation, the deductions will come down faster than Niagara Falls, 2 lots of NI - employer & employee, payroll fee, processing fee, rolled-up holiday pay, just to name a few.

All this £20 an hour stuff I suspect will look a lot less exciting once deductions are taken.

Although I’m perfectly happy to be proved wrong.