getting ichy

Right decided to bite the bullet and give my crappy home shop delivery driver job the boot on saturday and i have joined 4 seperate agencys for some Class 2 work
i only passed my test in April
So my question to all newbies is have you all got enough work to be getting on with? .

Put simply, no.

They might promise you a full weeks work when you register but you’ll be lucky.

Im with an agency not through choice but because it gives me the flexibility a full time permanent job wouldn’t.
If you don’t mind doing crappy shifts then great, although you’ve registered with 4 so you might get a bit more choice.

best of luck anyway and sorry i couldn’t give you a more positive answer.

Oh, and well done for having the balls to quit your job to go agency, im sure there’ll be a few on here that will criticise you for it but its your decision so stuff what others might think about it.

I am registered with 2 agencies.

One for 5 months has given me a bit of work. T’other for 4 weeks and it hasn’t given a single job yet.

The agency has been giving me about 3 days a week for the last 3 months, but not always driving, I have had to do at least one of those days each week as Mate on minimum wage. Driver’s rate is £6.70 per hour. Saturday work is at SINGLE TIME!
Nearly all work is heavy items handballing off the wagon and up the street to people’s houses. It’s tough multidrop work, but its a few quid a week.

I would say that there is plenty of LOW PAID agency work about, especially now that we are running up to Christmas. I am told that work will be very difficult to find in January, February and March.

LandyLad

Hello mate
Well ive been with 4 agents since April and they have given me about 3 days a week but not all good work some has been great some has been pushed on Hrs and bloody hard work … i have turned out last minute call at 4.30 am in the past . done 15 hr shifts ect and i did leave and get a full time tipper job a couple of month ago but after a few weeks went back to the agents who took me back on and still find me work … the last two weeks have been a bit slow but they say thats normal for Oct / Nov and should get bussy next couple of weeks .
the good thing is i have now gained a lot of expeariance . ie Tipper/ box van / curtain sider / flat bed hiab /
multi drop / trunk // store delivery // But thats the only good thing veriaty of work involved . :wink:

Thanks for the advice lads … the phone is still cold atm but iam quietly confident of getting some work .
Yes yambol i joined the same 4 agencys as yourself on ur advice so many thanks for all your input into it.
Iam under no illusions that its gonna be a bit varied and a bit rubbish at times .
Wincanton at trafford park have some jobs going at the moment are they taking newbies on?

Still nothing , holy cow what have i done !!!

Wincanton at trafford park have some jobs going at the moment are they taking newbies on?

Why not go visit them and find out?? They’re not likely to coming looking for you. You really do have to get out there and make it known that you are ready, willing and able.

Signing with agencies is fine but, with respect, it’s a bit lazy. Get out there and knock on doors. You will get work if you do that and persist.

Many companies include the infamous phrase “2 years experience”. Ignore that and apply anyway. When the truck’s stood in the corner and you turn up ready to go, there’s your opportunity. But you must be proactive.

Best of luck, hope you find something soon. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for ur reply pete …

I have contacted wincanton by telephone but it seems transline agency are dealing with the tempory work they have avalible but i will persist in this because it states in the advert that experience isnt neccsery and when i spoke to the agent they say they need 2 yrs exp, but i aint letting this go i will travel over today and go see somebody…

Also i have contacted local firms and will go and see these iam fortunate to have many companies on my doorstep to get started.

letters and cvs have been printed off…I think these agencys r scuppering us newbies getting a job…

You’ve got the bit between your teeth now and got the right attitude. When you knock on the door, adopt the attitude that this is the opportunity that stands between you and starvation/eviction. You can be sure you will be keen!!

As for the agencies, don’t be so hard. They sometimes are very useful to newbies and remember that they are considerably more expensive for the employer than employing direct.

So please persist - and the very best of luck. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thanks pete , the bit is in the teeth !!!

righto i thought i would give u all an update.
Well ive had to go back to Asda and do 21 hrs per week as the agencys have give me absolutly nothing at all and ive run outta cash , Ive now signed up to 5 and not had 1 single call.

You just watch now the bloody phone will ring now grrr.

All the local companies have been really friendly and helpful so i will go down the full time job route , which is preferd.