Narrow lanes.

Sorry in advance for what is probably a really daft question.
I drive a MAN 26 T Hiab truck and have just returned after 40 years away where I got my license as a fireman.
I’m up North in rural areas and go down a lot of narrow lanes. I try to keep left as much as possible but find myself having to stop often to let cars etc go past me.
Am I missing something or is it as simple as I stay right and let them keep left?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

If you are the larger vehicle then you stop and tuck in as much as possible WITHOUT GETTING STUCK
If the smaller vehicle gets stuck then the larger vehicle can tow it out

It’s not a daft question, have you considered getting side mirror metal protection to prevent breaking the covering on them as they are expensive, sometimes it’s a pain but if it’s tight I pull in the passenger mirror to get past then pull it back once out of trouble ?

Im up north too and work around Chester and Wales in narrow rural lanes too, Driving a 26t Iveco with rear Crane, I just pull over and stop if its too narrow, then either the smaller car attempts to get past or reverses back to a passing place to let me get past safely, at least then its there choice. As when I was taught I was told its easier for the smaller one to reverse than the Big massive truck :slight_smile:

I drive a 26t man. Not really suited to country lanes housing estates and farm deliveries. But work seem to think they are.
Basiaclly id say go slow take your time.
And if your going down tight lanes like I do and your approaching corner/bend on the road.and you can’t see just slow right down and beep your horn as you go to warn others.

I always find it best to dictate the place where the vehicles pass, if I am by a suitable wide bit I will stop by it and encourage the other vehicle through. Sometimes I’ll hold my position even when the wider section is on the nearside for me and point for them to pull in on their offside. It might be that the gap is not long enough or has overhanging trees etc.

Be wary of car drivers stopping and flashing you forwards, they usually stop in the worst places opposite a tree with a low branch or telegraph pole.