Your first time driving on the roads after passing

I can’t seem to get this horrible feeling out of my head about getting stuck or hitting something while backing into a yard. I actively go out of my way to find videos of truck drivers that have got stuck or hit someone’s house or car while down a narrow road and I dunno why I keep torturing myself with these videos :unamused: I did the same with my driving lessons, kept watching videos of car crashes and near misses :laughing:

So did you guys have these same fears too? Of course I’m going to take it slow and drive super carefully on my first few days until I feel comfortable with the dimensions of the vehicle but when I’m out driving in my car sometimes I see lorries backing into very narrow yard entrances, holding up traffic and they just seem to handle it like a boss, so effortlessly.

I wouldn’t be worried if the yard had loads of room but the UK isn’t exactly well known for it’s large roads and manoeuvring room.

if your a agency limper then crack on devil may care,wreck anything and everything and if they moan just use another agency.
if your in a real job,then just be reasonably cautious about things and if it starts going ■■■■ up,then stop and sort your head before a minor mishap turns into a disaster.
do not rely on a satnav,use it as an aid to your eyes,brain and a map.
if your not sure reversing then get out and look or dont be worried about asking for help.

I understand what you mean. My plan was to go to boots once I passed my cat c. But as im struggling with a small ridged (19 feet long) as far as length goes and the boots site I was going to go for uses rigids with demountable body’s the size of artics I am going to have to rethink my plans.
coop

If you go on for one of the bigger outfits, much of the artic work is depot to RDC, etc. Avoid high st shops, farmyards and you’ll be mostly ok.
Cue a list of exceptions…but on the whole, don’t sweat it.

When I first started driving last year I found I could barely sleep for worry that I’d hit something or screw up so badly it’d appear on some social media site. After a couple of weeks I was settled and far more confident.

As has been said; ask for help, get out and look and above all else…take your time [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Worst thing you can do is be rushed by other people.

If you need a certain amount of space, take it and don’t try and squeeze yourself in for the sake of holding up a couple of cars.

Also take as many shunts as you need and get out and check as many times as you want and ask for help if you need it, other drivers will be more than happy to help out a new driver.

Your not alone op [emoji20]

7 days training, then out on road is not good, esp if you’ve not driven since test.

After 2 days on an induction, I’m ruined, trying to get the drivers hours, work time figured out is killing my brain, let alone before I even think about moving a truck…

And folk say truckers ain’t smart…

I reply, try it then.

Head up fella, guessing we’ll get hang of it safely in time [emoji108][emoji41]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

TruckerWannabe123:
I can’t seem to get this horrible feeling out of my head about getting stuck or hitting something while backing into a yard. I actively go out of my way to find videos of truck drivers that have got stuck or hit someone’s house or car while down a narrow road and I dunno why I keep torturing myself with these videos :unamused: I did the same with my driving lessons, kept watching videos of car crashes and near misses :laughing:

So did you guys have these same fears too? Of course I’m going to take it slow and drive super carefully on my first few days until I feel comfortable with the dimensions of the vehicle but when I’m out driving in my car sometimes I see lorries backing into very narrow yard entrances, holding up traffic and they just seem to handle it like a boss, so effortlessly.

I wouldn’t be worried if the yard had loads of room but the UK isn’t exactly well known for it’s large roads and manoeuvring room.

Just take your time, use Goal alot and don’t let anybody rush you. If a 10hr shift takes you 12hrs then so be it. As the days and weeks pass by you will soon become accustomed to the wagon and job and start to be less stressed/worried then things will just get easier and easier. You will never get used to the people planning your life though that’s one thing you will just have to put up withl in the hgv world…

ok im going to show my stupidity here what is GOAL?

cooper1203:

Get
Out
And
Look
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

cooper1203:

Get
Out
And
Look

Also don’t forget BLACK for uncoupling and reverse it KCALB for coupling up
B , Brake
L , Legs
A , Air lines
C , Clip
K , King pin

ROG:

cooper1203:

Get
Out
And
Look

thanks

cribs76:
Just take your time, use Goal alot and don’t let anybody rush you. If a 10hr shift takes you 12hrs then so be it.

Isn’t this the kind of thing that gets you fired though due to complaints from customers?

TruckerWannabe123:

cribs76:
Just take your time, use Goal alot and don’t let anybody rush you. If a 10hr shift takes you 12hrs then so be it.

Isn’t this the kind of thing that gets you fired though due to complaints from customers?

I haven’t done delivery in a lorry yet but I used to deliver newspapers in my car to customers homes. when I first started I was absolute rubbish I couldn’t find places and sometimes put the wrong paper through the door. On my second day on my own I was running three hours behind (we were supposed to be finished by 6.30) and I had one very angry customer complain to me and the office wanting the old delivery guy back. told me I should of been shot at birth because I look like a [zb]ing ■■■■■■. 9 months later I got a box of expensive chocolates and 30 pound Christmas box.

IF IT NEEDS **** THEN IT IS NOT ALLOWED - ROG THE MOD

If a company is going to fire you because you can’t get round all your deliveries in a 15hr day when you are a newbie and just starting out I wouldn’t worry to much abt that job.
What I meant was that you are in charge of that vehicle and load as soon as the wheels start turning and its better to take your time and come back with the vehicle and yourself in one piece and not cause havoc on the road, cos you will be the only one held responsible if the worst happens.

You will soon start feeling comfortable and more confident and in turn your days get easier and you get round quicker without even trying to hard.
Good luck you will be fine everyone has to start somewhere.

cribs76:
If a company is going to fire you because you can’t get round all your deliveries in a 15hr day when you are a newbie and just starting out I wouldn’t worry to much abt that job.
What I meant was that you are in charge of that vehicle and load as soon as the wheels start turning and its better to take your time and come back with the vehicle and yourself in one piece and not cause havoc on the road, cos you will be the only one held responsible if the worst happens.

You will soon start feeling comfortable and more confident and in turn your days get easier and you get round quicker without even trying to hard.
Good luck you will be fine everyone has to start somewhere.

Good post.
Don`t try to go quicker. Just keep steady, and experience will make you quicker.
Filling in an accident form, restacking a fallen pallet, both take longer than any time you might save by rushing.