Narrow bends

Anyone any hints on how to deal with bends and uncoming vehicles where i have to take some of there side of the road.Is there a general rule ie first to the bend gets priority while the other vehicle holds back,what about when to trucks need to use the same space on the bend.Sorry if this question might be a bit simple but i appreciate any helpful advice

Simple I would either slow down a lot or stop then they can make the dissuasion & yes i have done this

Just slow down , assess each bend on its own merits, if yu cant see oncoming cars give a toot on your horn as approach to warn oncoming cars ,once you have committed to the bend well you can only carry on , try and deal with it as you did in your test for an arched bridge where you have to go through middle , to be honest if you come across the mindset that my journey is more important than yours brigade just stop and let them go round you (if they can) ok it will annoy you but at least you havent hit them :wink: , to be fair another lorry driver will be already aware you need the space and will be slowing down himself in case of oncoming so a larger veh will normally be a couple of nods to each other and a quick wave of thanks , of a night time bit easier as you can normally see headlights approach which will make your planning easier but then you have the added prob of making sure trailer gets round as cant see too much in dark , :wink: this is the life of a hgvdriver as u will have been told on your test we have to make sure we stop people hitting us not the other way round , like taking up two lanes on a rbt to stop people undercutting etc just take your time and everything will be fine,

good luck

Welcome to the forums.

As in your test, take your time and be considerate. It is as much of a problem to the other driver as it is to you so with some consideration you can sort things out between you. When you need to give-way, do so early, when you have decided to proceed do it in a manner that the other driver can see what you are doing/planning.

When you have right-of-way, dominate the road so that you don’t get some (usually car) driver trying to squeeze through, stealing your necessary space and blocking you.

And don’t worry about posting ‘simple’ questions - we have all been where you are.

Good luck
Alan

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice,appreciate it

Lady P:
they can make the dissuasion & yes i have done this

I totally disagree with this, you know how much room your lorry needs, the car driver doesnt, therefore you need to take control of the situation directing them if needs be.

There will be times where you get in to a situation that requires you to bend the rules abit, theres no way you can drive a lorry like your on test all the time, you have to be creative.

Saaamon:

Lady P:

I totally disagree with this, you know how much room your lorry needs, the car driver doesnt, therefore you need to take control of the situation directing them if needs be.

There will be times where you get in to a situation that requires you to bend the rules abit, theres no way you can drive a lorry like your on test all the time, you have to be creative.

What he says /
Take control of the situation, the only sane person on the road is yourself :wink:

If it’s a car you meet and it doesn’t stop in a wide bit or even passing place (just goes past it - might take some experience to judge what is a wide bit), then you should stop and let them do the manoeuvre, whether it’s to try to squeeze by or back up. You won’t be in the wrong if you’ve stopped and there’s a coming together in this scenario.

Snudger:
If it’s a car you meet and it doesn’t stop in a wide bit or even passing place (just goes past it - might take some experience to judge what is a wide bit), then you should stop and let them do the manoeuvre, whether it’s to try to squeeze by or back up. You won’t be in the wrong if you’ve stopped and there’s a coming together in this scenario.

+1.

To add to this and it goes back to being “creative” dont be afraid to direct them (the car) into a passing space thats on the wrong side of their road if needs be. You may need to get out and explain to them how the best way to get round is if they look puzzled.

As people have said you take the inititive. If you go on the CPC, First Aid course they usual tell you that ‘you are the professional and know the road better than the car drivers’ and should manage the situation.

Stop if necessary and take possession of the road to prevent people trying to cut through. Be prepared to stop and let other sort themselves out. If they hit you and you are stationary it’s a bit easier to deal with.

Keep calm and look professional and show them why you have the licence to drive a larger vehicle than theirs !

o_gorman_pra:
Anyone any hints on how to deal with bends and uncoming vehicles where i have to take some of there side of the road.

THE SIMPLE RULE IS THAT IF YOU NEED THEIR SPACE YOU WAIT

Right hand bend/turn - keep hard left and if your rear wheels will go across the line then wait until clear to do so

Left hand bend/turn - keep hard left and wait to use their lane with your front wheels if not clear

Rigd or artic = same rules

If an artic on a 90 degree left turn into a side road then often you have to go right across the mouth of the junction before hooking the unit hard left because if you swan neck it or pull out to turn left and meet yourself coming out the side road to turn towards you then neither of you have anywhere to go

Saaamon:

Lady P:

typical trans T driver :laughing:

Like others have said, you need to gently persuade others to give way (whether by your positioning, indicators or even resorting to flapping arms out of the window :slight_smile: ), BUT in any case, be prepared to stop. If someone is determined to get by, STOP, if your stationary and they hit you it’s inevitably going to be their fault.

Personally I’ve had to wave peeps on, hold a hand up in a definite stop/wait signal and even had to get out and explain that they mustn’t move, I’ll get by and we’ll be on our way quickly. Low arched bridges are my personal favourite, sometimes only by using r/h indicator, full beam and an ‘aggressive’ position in the road do peeps get the hint that I need to use the middle of the road.

If all else fails, take up ALL of the road, switch off and spread The Daily Sport on your steering wheel :laughing: .

o_gorman_pra:
Anyone any hints on how to deal with bends and uncoming vehicles where i have to take some of there side of the road.Is there a general rule ie first to the bend gets priority while the other vehicle holds back,what about when to trucks need to use the same space on the bend.Sorry if this question might be a bit simple but i appreciate any helpful advice

Are you the bloke driving the truck when the motorbike hit your cab with his knee?

Another one is the car driver that can’t get down a road with cars parked on each side and only a single lane, that you are about to drive through when they get out of the way :smiley:

I used to put my flask on the dash and pour myself a coffee. It’s good to kill the frustration and you do get some smirks at the situation. Then when they get their HUGE car through the gap, you roll through without stopping. Another great one for looks as the average motorist has sympathised with the car in front, only to see how easy you make it look.

Jesus it gets worse on here. Does a professional driver really need to ask how to go round a bend?

Excuse my ignorance but isn’t this the ‘New and wannabe’ section ?

As most will agree passing your test is one thing, doing the job is another. I might have passed my test with the Cheif examiner of Bristol who had strict reputation, but I learnt so much from other drivers.

xfmatt:
Jesus it gets worse on here. Does a professional driver really need to ask how to go round a bend?

Newbies forum! There are no stupid questions on here but there certainly are a few stupid responses.

Nothin is ever textbook black and white judge every situation individually be calm take it easy slow and steady wins the race as the saying goes

xfmatt:

I’m not a professional driver so that’s why I asked