New Class 2 Driver.

Hello everyone.

I’m Ryan Williamson recently passed my class 2 licence up here in the Shetland islands.
It’s be a while coming but eventually got it passed and all CPC completed. So am ready to hit the road! I work for the local council on the roads department so in time I’ll be driving gritters in the winter maintenance season and the odd occasion of a 6 wheeler tipper. But mostly it will be the 7 1/2T Iveco pick-ups I’ll be driving.
I passed my test in a brand new DAF CF tipper.( I’ll try up load a picture). Automatic and a joy to drive with only 1900 on the clock.
I have a few questions on part time driving at weekends but that can be another day.
I thought I would just introduce myself and say hello fellow truckers.

Cheers Ryan

Well done on passing. It is good that you already have a job. There are worse places you could be than at the local council, so you have landed on your feet.

Can’t be many people taking tests in 6w tippers!

I’m guessing that training schools in Shetland are not on every corner so it was an in house job. Well done though and good luck.

PASSING C.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Congratulations

Noremac:
Well done on passing. It is good that you already have a job. There are worse places you could be than at the local council, so you have landed on your feet.

Thanks! The council have a shortage of drivers at the moment so that’s why I’ve been put through. I’m a youngin at the grand age of 27. So it’s been a great opportunity to get.
Cheers

8wheels:
Can’t be many people taking tests in 6w tippers!

I’m guessing that training schools in Shetland are not on every corner so it was an in house job. Well done though and good luck.

Is it uncommon down on the mainland? Up here in Shetland our training school doesn’t have it’s own truck so you have to supply your own one.
So it’s really what ever truck that fits in to the requirements needed for the test. There’s been a few shapes and sizes!
Cheers Ryan

Down here it’s unusual to see anything but a dedicated training vehicle with L plates on, often a 13t 4w that just meets the criteria for size. There are plenty of 18 tonners too but anything else is a rarity.

The local Fire brigade have a pair of crewcabbed 18t curtainsiders liveried up and available as equipment carriers that they use (or used) but not seen out training for some time.

You see the very occasional vehicle belonging to an operator doing some training but not many. I did recall seeing Sainsburys running an ancient liveried DAF 6w a few years ago. Cant remember the model but was pre CF / 85 cab

Congrats. Shetlands are pretty remote. Out of curiosity what does class 2 pay per hour up there?