LED issue on trailer

Fellas, My low loader boat trailer (pulled with my TGX) has a mixture of led and conventional bulb lights. The 2 front corner markers and all the amber side markers are led. The outline marker lights on my load projection boards are standard bulbs as are the rear light clusters. I haven’t ever had any issues with warning messages on the dash or anything like that. However, recently I have been blowing bulbs regularly in the rear o/s light cluster so I decided to do away with the rear light clusters and have installed a set of Perei hamburger led lights, 3 on each side. I did put one of those balast resistors in the n/s indicator circuit to see if it altered anything but I’m getting right hand and left hand indicator failure messages on the dash, even though they are working OK?

I read in the manual that the TGX has an additional option with the light test. Apparently, you turn on the ignition, press the light test rocker and when the message “light test” comes up on the dash you switch the ign off? That allegedly allows the unit to learn that there are new or additional lights either on the unit or the trailer. But it doesn’t seem to have done anything?

What am I doing wrong? Any help or advice would be appreciated (apart from get an auto electrician cause I’m in Norfolk and getting anyone to do anything out here is like asking the pope for a ■■?)

I can’t really help but on my sprinter with Ifor Williams it had 2 21w reverse lamp bulbs I’ve put led reverse lamps on and had to leave a 5w bulb in one of the old reverse lamps to get the led halogen type ones to work so similar to your resister .

Punchy Dan:
I can’t really help but on my sprinter with Ifor Williams it had 2 21w reverse lamp bulbs I’ve put led reverse lamps on and had to leave a 5w bulb in one of the old reverse lamps to get the led halogen type ones to work so similar to your resister .

I was thinking of doing exactly that. I just connected the resistor in line with the l/h indicator wire (yellow) which I pressumed is all I should do. As I said, the indicators work both sides but I’m getting failure messages for both sides?

Regarding the test sequence on the MAN, maybe i’ve got it wrong but as far as i know, you press the switch then hold the headlight flash switch on for a couple of seconds this will trigger the light test warning on the dash and the lights will go through their sequence all round except for reverse lights which the system doesn’t operate for some reason, after checking they all work to enter the values on the whole combo into the vehicle memory you have to finish the test by again holding the headlight flash switch on, the display should then read light test end, if it says light test abort then the system hasn’t registered the values…or thats the method as far as i can recall to mind without jumping in an MAN and going through it, happy to be corrected if that’s all arse about face, won’t be the first time.

That’s not to say you’ve got the necessary resistance built in yet to satisfy the system, but that’s beyond me i bloody hate LED’s and would much rather have bulbs all round.

Juddian:
Regarding the test sequence on the MAN, maybe i’ve got it wrong but as far as i know, you press the switch then hold the headlight flash switch on for a couple of seconds this will trigger the light test warning on the dash and the lights will go through their sequence all round except for reverse lights which the system doesn’t operate for some reason, after checking they all work to enter the values on the whole combo into the vehicle memory you have to finish the test by again holding the headlight flash switch on, the display should then read light test end, if it says light test abort then the system hasn’t registered the values…or thats the method as far as i can recall to mind without jumping in an MAN and going through it, happy to be corrected if that’s all arse about face, won’t be the first time.

That’s not to say you’ve got the necessary resistance built in yet to satisfy the system, but that’s beyond me i bloody hate LED’s and would much rather have bulbs all round.

Thank you for that. I’ll take you with me and run through the test again.