Rear LED light problems

I have started to fit LED lights on the rear of the trailer. The lights work fine and the indicators flash at the correct rate, although the dash tells me a bulb is out and the indicator sound is fast. I have fitted resistors to the live feeds but the problem is still happening.

Has anybody come across this before or can offer any solutions?

:smiley: :smiley:

is your motor a volvo? if so fit a bigger bulb in the numberplate light.

Think you installed the resistors incorrectly.
They need to go in parrallel not in series, like in my van goch style pic :grimacing:

hi had this before we had to fit two resistors per side after contacting durite about same problem .if you dont want to spend extra wire a hidden 21watt bulb in to each side instead of resistors

Or buy a 24v led indicator relay :wink:

Thanks for the replies and the diagram :wink:

I am going to try the hidden bulb approach tomorrow and see how it goes, i’ll let you know my results.

btw yes it is a Volvo :slight_smile:

faz82:
I am going to try the hidden bulb approach tomorrow and see how it goes, i’ll let you know my results.

Sort of defeats the point of fitting LEDs in the first place…

The problem is that the LEDs draw so little current that the Lighting ECU thinks that the bulb has failed. The best solution is to just ignore what the dashboard tells you on the grounds that you are wiser than it. :wink:

Incidentally, you said that the indicator sound is fast.

In ye olden days, indicators were operated by an indicator relay and the sound you heard was the sound of the bi-metallic strip snapping open and shut due to heat expansion and contraction.

Volvos no longer have indicator units, and the clicking you hear is simply an electronic simulation of an indicator relay. Even running solo, the indicators do not flash in unison with the clicking noise.

So again, just ignore it.

Harry Monk:
So again, just ignore it.

I couldn’t drive all day with the indicators clicking fast it would drive me mad, I also have bulb failure warnings up on the dash which is also irritating plus i’m sure VOSA wouldn’t be keen on seeing those either.

I had an LED trailer a couple of weeks back, the indicator warning lights on dash only showed solo not combo. Got out and checked trailer lights a few times, all working ok.